Gibson Brands Forums

can shops sell fake epiphones and gibsons?

RobinTheHood

Not sure exactly what the counterfeiting laws are like in the UK, but in the US, any shop that knowingly sells counterfeit goods (guitars, handbags, watches, etc.), is risking fairly serious legal action by the trademark or copyright holder. The actions may include stiff fines (not just the value of the goods but in excess) and imprisonment.

Any shop that unknowingly sell counterfeit goods may also risk legal action or at least the seizure and destruction of the goods without compensation or any other recourse.

So the answer is yes, a shop can sell counterfeit goods, but it would not be a smart business decision to do so.

Any shop that unknowingly sell counterfeit goods may also risk legal action or at least the seizure and destruction of the goods without compensation or any other recourse.

So the answer is yes' date=' a shop can sell counterfeit goods, but it would not be a smart business decision to do so.

[/quote']

Well, it's hard enough to get a legitimate Gibson/Fender/Gretsch dealership these days. No authorized guitar

shop owner in his right mind would knowlingly buy a guitar (other than a used one that somehow escaped his

scrutiny ) from outside his distributor.

They would be like cutting their own throat and profit margins too..because the word would spread very quickly,

if a new fake was sold.

As far as used fakes, the dealer normally would have his technician check it out to see how playable it is.

A fake would usually be spotted and rejected.

The answer is: YES THEY CAN!

They are usually right next to the "Genuine Ivory" 99 cent chopstick sets and the $12.99 Louis Vutton handbags! Stay away from swapmeets and Craigslist and you should be just fine!

Jim

The answer is: YES THEY CAN!

They are usually right next to the "Genuine Ivory" 99 cent chopstick sets and the $12.99 Louis Vutton handbags! Stay away from swapmeets and Craigslist and you should be just fine!

Jim

Are we talking established and scrupulous dealers here Jim? Maybe times have changed then.

BTW...did you catch the latest segment of Pawn Stars where this guy brings in some 17th

century "stagecoach shotgun" expecting to get $200 for it, the expert tells them both that

the guy can get up to $8,000 at auction..the pawn broker has the hots for this firearm and

offers 2 grand. The guy says" well I up to now, it wasn't a problem but my wife just

had a baby and wants me to get rid of it and told me I can get a guitar instead."

Now the guy wants 4 grand for the shotgun, but the pawn star won't give him the cash, but

mentions that he can have a guitar in trade.

So he settles for a blond top plain maple 70s Gibson LP which was probably only worth about $2grand

in the first place. He could have got more for the antique gun..but didn't want to

bother bringing it back to explain to the wife! LOL!!!

I found a fake Gibson white LP Custom in a second hand shop last year. It didn't have a price on it, and it seemed like the seller wasn't going to mention it was a fake till I mentioned it first. Buyer beware.

Speak to a rep of an authorized dealer and ensure that company has a returns policy in case of problems. I have just dealt with Thomann for my first ever new guitar, a Gibson Firebird V (all my other guitars are second hand) and the experience was outstanding I got a good price after a little negotiation and the service was first class.

P1010425.jpg

Are we talking established and scrupulous dealers here Jim? Maybe times have changed then.

LOL!!! No' date=' in my own obtuse, sarcastic way I was describing very [b']UN[/b]scrupulous dealers!

Here in Las Vegas, we have a place called "The Fantastik (sic) Swapmeet". It is an indoor collection of sellers of everything from swords and knives, counterfeit perfumes, snakes and lizards from only God knows where, questionalble leather goods and occasionally, DVD copies of movies that are still in the theaters! Even the more "legal" items being sold there are knock-offs for the most part.

These guys are nomads, selling their stock until it is depleated or until someone sics the authorities on them. Either way, they move from place to place selling their admittedly low-price wares. It's an interesting place to explore, but you have know that "if you pays your money, you takes you chance" with these guys. Same goes for musical instrument shopping. If it isn't a reputable, authorized dealer, then don't be surprised if what is delivered isn't what was represented.

Jim

BTW...did you catch the latest segment of Pawn Stars where this guy brings in some 17th

century "stagecoach shotgun" expecting to get $200 for it' date=' the expert tells them both that

the guy can get up to $8,000 at auction..the pawn broker has the hots for this firearm and

offers 2 grand. The guy says" well I up to now, it wasn't a problem but my wife just

had a baby and wants me to get rid of it and told me I can get a guitar instead."

Now the guy wants 4 grand for the shotgun, but the pawn star won't give him the cash, but

mentions that he can have a guitar in trade.

So he settles for a blond top plain maple 70s Gibson LP which was probably only worth about $2grand

in the first place. He could have got more for the antique gun..but didn't want to

bother bringing it back to explain to the wife! LOL!!![/quote']

I saw that episode. Didnt he get $2k plus the guitar? Or was it just the git? I cant remember. They all blend togehter after awhile. Either way he got ripped, as do many people that sell to those guys.

Like the guy that came in with the Coke sample cooler. Corey paid him $200 for it in really bad shape. Come to find out, the thing was worth something like $3000 as it sat. Unscrupulous bastards! I love that show.

Archived