Gibson Brands Forums

Oops...I Did It Again

brianh

A '93 Korean tobacco Sheraton II with case came up for sale for $325 nearby and try as I might, I could not let it get away. (Damn you Joe C.!)

I guess I'm just a sucker for a cheap semi. But it's just a sin not to grab these things, they are so much guitar for the money.

5-piece flame maple neck:

P1010188.jpg

P1010223.jpg

Luxury appointments:

P1010192.jpg

MOP inlaid tree of life headstock:

P1010194.jpg

Burly top:

P1010219.jpg

Major bling:

P1010186.jpg

Plenty of room for upgrades:

P1010181.jpg

P1010178.jpg

Fits right in like it was born here:

P1010198.jpg

Therapy sessions start Monday....

Yeah, Craigslist again. There's a lot of junk, but it pays to watch it regularly The guitar is in remarkably good condition, just needed the standard 100,000 mile service. I think the guy thought it was defective because the switch was dirty. That was an easy fix, but I did take the whole thing apart, clean and inspect. The rhythm pickup cover is stained and it won't come off even with Acetone, will have to replace it. Other than that it's 95% mint. I have to admit I don't like the pickguards on Epis, they could be drastically improved and I hate the "E".

But man, what a great looking and playing instrument for 3 Franklins...

[biggrin]

Nice score Brian.

Joe will no doubt be very pleased with his influence.

Great Price too, got my Emperor Regent for $390 /w case, there are definately deals to be had on C-List.

Hope you walked over to get it, you know 2 birds with 1 stone, so to speak.

I have to admit I don't like the pickguards on Epis' date=' they could be drastically improved and I hate the "E".[/quote']

Hey guys,

Funny what rings people's bells... I love the "E" (although I only possess one example, being on the truss rod cover on 'The Weirdbird')... & it always amuses me that it looks like the Euro symbol (1 Euro being = to approx. a gazillion OZ$)... like Peter cleverly shows it in his signature.

S

Hope you walked over to get it' date=' you know 2 birds with 1 stone, so to speak.[/quote']

Hey Gord,

No such luck, I met the guy halfway, had to drive about 40 miles north to pick it up. He asked me to meet him at the pull off by the Allentown tolls on the PA turnpike. Weird, but whatever it takes I guess.

Craigslist is the greatest invention of the new millenium. That guy should get a Nobel Prize, he's saved (and earned) working folks like us billions of dollars.

Cheers, Brian

Nice score. Hard to pass up a deal like that. I have heard that the older Sherrys had a hole in the bridge pup cavity large enough to fish everything through, but this is the first pic I've seen of one. It will still take some patience, but much easier than fishing everything through the f-holes. It looks very nice.

Just curious, didn't the Acetone eat some of the gold off?

Beautiful Sheraton Brian. HNGD

That is my favorite finish and era (early to mid 90s) and is the next archtop I will acquire.

Great price.

Question, does the acetone clean the gold or remove it?

Mark

Just curious' date=' didn't the Acetone eat some of the gold off?

[/quote']

JC & Mark - Acetone will not damage the plating at all. It will completely eliminate built up grease and grime, most (but not all) corrosion, and leaves the parts clean and brite. It is however highly flammable and should only be used in a well ventilated area, with gloves and respirator, etc. I have a removable high volume exhaust fan in one of the shop windows, and it's always on when I use lacquer, solvents or any other flammable or toxic materials.

As nasty as the stuff is, Acetone is not particullarly toxic - it's the main ingredient in nail polish and superglue remover, as well as Goo-Gone Xtreme and a bunch of other household products. It is also used extensively in manufacturing, laboratory, and shop parts cleaning. When it comes to guitars, it is extremely important to use it only on all-metal parts, and to keep it away from any plastic parts and the guitar itself. Acentone will start to dissolve plastic parts as well as poly and lacquer finishes on contact.

As shown in the photo, I remove all the parts, put them in a small glass bottle filled with Acetone, and let them soak. Then scrub the stubborn areas with a soft toothbrush over the metal pan, rub with a soft cloth, and lay them out on the paper towel to dry. In a few minutes they are ready to reinstall. I've tried a number of other metal cleaning products, and they either don't work or strip the plating right off.

I haven't tried one of those ultrasonic cleaners yet, that might work even better: http://www.harborfre...aner-95563.html

Ultrasoniccleaner.jpg

Cheers, Brian

Archived