Gibson Brands Forums

Frank Zappa and Epiphone

Blueslover

I found this picture of Frank Zappa playing a Sheraton on the '68 European tour. During this period he was usually to be seen playing a Les Paul Gold Top with P90s. In all the articles I have read on FZ I have never seen any mention of him playing an Epi. I am a huge fan of FZ and would welcome any information anyone has about FZ and Epiphone.

68-9.jpg

I remember seeing an advertisement for Epiphone guitars with him (and his guitar) in it (mid 70's ?). Was a while ago. the ad said : Epiphone, the mark of a professional" or "the mark of a great guitarist" or something like that. I have never seen the ad online (google search...).

interesting topic

I found this picture of Frank Zappa playing a Sheraton on the '68 European tour. During this period he was usually to be seen playing a Les Paul Gold Top with P90s. In all the articles I have read on FZ I have never seen any mention of him playing an Epi. I am a huge fan of FZ and would welcome any information anyone has about FZ and Epiphone.

68-9.jpg

What picture??

Interesting.

I thought I saw a video or picture of Zappa playing a worn brown Gibson SG.

I'm going crazy...

Zappa played SGs on and off through most of the 70s He is playing one on the covers (both front and back) of the Mothers "Roxy and Elsewhere" album.

Here he is playing his well known "Baby Snakes" SG copy, his main late 70s guitar, on his famous Mike Douglas appearance -

one man, a guitar, and a Pignose. Amazing.

Yep' date=' that was the one I was thinking about.

One of the reasons why Epi's worn brown G-400 is so enticing to me.

Thanks EpiEric[/quote']

This video has some interesting info on the "SG" of Frank's. It's a long video, the SG part starts at 10:09

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

Archived