Gibson Brands Forums

My new Epi 335

KDKowalski

It has been a few years since I was an epi owner, I had gone the Gibson route, with LesPauls, SG's and my favorite Gibson was my cherry ES339. I have since moved through these guitars on my quest for tone (and stupid GAS), and have decided there are way too many guitars on the market in the $500.00 range that are absolutely incredible...so much so, I don't need to spend the extra $1500.00 to gain minimal improvements. This brings me to my latest purchase, a limited edition Epiphone ES335 Block neck in iced tea burst.

The model seems to be quite limited, I know custom shop really does not mean anything but this is one very special low priced instrument. The neck on mine appears to be one piece, with wings on the back of the headstock. The hardware is nickel plated, the neck is bound and the holy headstock inlay and 335 styled guard and nice touches. The finish is absolutely spectacular and most important, the tone and playability are as good as my former 339. All this for under $600.00 including a TKL hardshell case and sales tax (15% here in my part of Canada).

Bravo Epiphone

p7110314.jpg

p7110308.jpg

p7110306.jpg

p7110305.jpg

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Epiphone should bind all their necks! Such slack asses..

Firstly... HNGD KDK!

Now... apart from the 'bling appeal'' date=' are there actually any 'playing benefits' to a bound neck?

My 'Ragtime Special' is my only bound neck geet &... I gotta tell you... I hadn't realised I was missing out on anything on the rest of my little family[confused']

PS: Caramello... been meaning to tell you... love your nic... makes me hungrier than mine[biggrin]

Well considering Epiphone remakes Gibson guitars, and all the Gibson ES335s, SGs and Les Pauls etc had bound fingerboards, it'd make sense for Epiphone to do the same. It's not like it would cost Epiphone a bomb of money or time to do, and it would result in better sales and happier customers. They look much better in my opinion, and having an Epiphone dot with a bound body but not a bound fingerboard is just silly.

Haha it's good to hear my username's making people hungry, my work here is done!

Fellow bluenoser...You didn't happen to pick this up at the Dartmouth Long and McQuade? They've had one there for a while...I didn't come across it until after I bought my cherry dot. I did play it in the store though, real nice.

congrats!

-Cal

Fellow bluenoser...You didn't happen to pick this up at the Dartmouth Long and McQuade? They've had one there for a while...I didn't come across it until after I bought my cherry dot. I did play it in the store though' date=' real nice.

congrats!

-Cal[/quote']

Actually bought it at L & M in Bedford, I saw one for the first time in Feb at the New Minas store, thought it was nice but was buying a Jag that day. I popped in 2 weeks ago to the Bedford Store to buy a new Gretsch, which I did, saw this and it haunted me for the past 2 weeks. I had to go back and take this as well....such a good price and excellent value. Cheers from NewGlasgow.

Now... apart from the 'bling appeal'' date=' are there actually any 'playing benefits' to a bound neck?

[/quote']

The biggest benefit is you wont feel the changes in the frets from humidity nearly as much. I live on the coast with large humidity changes. I notice on some of my un-bound necks a very slight difference in the feeling from sharp fret edges when dry or when the wood swells from humidity and the fret recesses. The binding will mask these issues.

It also looks cool [biggrin]

That's a beautiful looking guitar you have there, congrats.

I guess this is proof that if you get to cherry-pick your Epiphone, then you can get a great guitar. Says a lot for seeking out the special editions, and buying in person rather than ordering on-line, I think.

Epiphone should bind all their necks! Such slack asses..

Yes indeedy. Especially the G-400.

Mr Epiphone' date=' please make a G-400 that resembles the Gibby '61 reissue with a properly bound neck, and I promise I'll buy one.

Here's an illustration for guidance:

[img']http://www.12fret.com/new/Gibson_SG_61_reissue.jpg[/img]

Unfortunately it has the same price tag as the Gibson.

Almost' date=' but not quite. A used Elitist SG will go for between $500-$800. A new Gibson SG Standard starts at $1200, and will go used for $900-1000.

Unless they've stopped, G-400s are bound... with strips of rosewood. Now, there ARE G-400s that have white plastic binding, BUT they're few and far between. (And command a [i']slightly [/i]higher price, I've noticed.)

Almost' date=' but not quite. A used Elitist SG will go for between $500-$800. A new Gibson SG Standard starts at $1200, and will go used for $900-1000.[/quote']

Well, I talked of new guitars. A guitar shop around here has still a new Elite SG 61 Reissue on stock. He asks the same price as for a Gibson. The Epiphone was as expensive on release as the Gibson is now. Collectors item that is I guess, anybody else would take the Gibson for the same money.

Would be interesting to compare that Elite Epi against the Gibson. Unfortunately that shop doesn't sell Gibson any more.

Interestingly the price tags are a bit different with ES-335s. Got my Elite ES-335 new for half the price of a Gibson ES-335 Dot reissue gloss plain top. Had the opportunity to compare it to the Gibson, and I'm glad I found the Epiphone :-)

The biggest benefit is you wont feel the changes in the frets from humidity nearly as much. I live on the coast with large humidity changes. I notice on some of my un-bound necks a very slight difference in the feeling from sharp fret edges when dry or when the wood swells from humidity and the fret recesses. The binding will mask these issues.

It also looks cool [biggrin]

Me Lords' date=' Bears & Canucks...

I stand 'umbly corrected...

But Darren... 'just noticed'??? When was it that you weren't looking at that beauty???

[i']Hmmm... & does this mean I have to upgarde all me geets???[/i]

Thanks to all who replied to the post. I really am very taken by my new guitar.

As for neck bindings, I wouldn't rush out to change to guitars with out neck bindings...I do make it a preference of mine when shopping, but it isn't a show stopper for me. All of my godin guitars do not have bindings, I do feel the difference, especially in my new Session maple board neck....however I would never think of selling it over a bound neck, it is awesome as it was built (for little cash as well).

I play them, if I like them and I have some cash...I buy them....however having purchased over 100 guitars in the past 10 years, I certainly am getting very fussy about what I buy, the Epi 335 to me could have been 50% more expensive and I still would have bought it. [confused]

All of my godin guitars do not have bindings' date=' I do feel the difference, especially in my new Session maple board neck....however I would never think of selling it over a bound neck, it is awesome as it was built (for little cash as well).[/quote']

Wow, you own one of the new Sessions? I'm very interested in those - it would be great if you could post a picture and maybe expand on your thoughts about the guitar...

I'm currently looking to replace the Strat I sold when I was out of work earlier this year. I don't want to spend too much money and I'm looking for an HSS configuration.

So far, one of the better Yamaha Pacificas is definitely a possibility, but then I saw the Godin Sessions advertised and thought they would be well worth investigating too...[confused]

635397.jpg

GOD-33911.jpg

Archived