Gibson Brands Forums

J-45 True Vintage?

nickammo

I played a 2007 Gibson True Vintage J-45 at the guitar store. It was an excellent guitar! I went home to think about it for the day and when I go back the next day, it's gone. The guitar sat on the wall for 3 years without anyone taking it home and then I want it and it's gone. My luck. So, I've decided that I want a J-45. Here are my questions:

1) It was my understanding that the True Vintage line wasn't around in 2007. The label inside the guitar did not say TV or VOS. Was it either? The store said it was TV.

2) I've tried the Modern Classic and prefer the tone of the True Vintage. Should I order a TV from the store? It should theoretically sound like the guitar I played previously.

What would you do?

Now that you've experienced "True Vintage", nothing else will satisfy! Oder the guitar you want, and be happy. If you don't, you'll always be lusting after a J-45 TV. Then you'll fit right in with this bunch on the Forum. We can't get enough Gibby's!!! [cursing]

I recommend you to check out every J-45 Standard you meet as well. The white nuts, the black nuts, the lighter, the darker, the orangisher etc.

Something tells me it's worth it. The two I tried both were more than spendid. The one standing next to me is a clean hit.

After some research it could be nice to hear your evaluation then. These nuances of variations of the same basic instrument are utterly interesting.

Guess a lot of 'forumers' will agree. . .

the acouStic moNk

... I went home to think about it for the day and when I go back the next day, it's gone. ...

Should I order a TV from the store? It should theoretically sound like the guitar I played previously. What would you do?

Ouch. That's a tough hit to take.

You said, theoretically you'd expect all the TVs to sound alike - bad assumption. There's going to be some variability in the sound/tone and playability. Now that you've got that "sound" you're looking for in your head, your better off playing before buying. Of course, that's if you're lucky enough to live in an area where you have access to multiple shops that stock the TV - some folks don't have that luxury and have to take their chances with mail ordering.

Guitar store tip - Ask about their hold policy so you know your options. If they have one, and if you're interested in a guitar, put it on hold immediately. I've seen guys mulling over purchases in the store for a while, and then go to purchase it only to find the guitar was just purchased online. Brutal.

Good luck, and let us know how things work out.

Actually the best thing to do is just buy the guitar and, if you don't like it or have second thoughts, return it. Most stores have a return policy.

Anyway, the piece-to-piece variation with Gibsons really is astounding. Never assume that the next J 45 will sound like the one that you fell in love with.

To solve your dilemma you could do the following (or a variation thereof): Go to your store and ask them to order 2 J 45 TV's, even if you have to 'buy' them both or put $ down on both. Then when they come in you can A/B them by yourself. Yours would be the only hands that touched them outside of the factory! You'll then get to select the one you want and 'return' the other, on the spot.

1) It was my understanding that the True Vintage line wasn't around in 2007. The label inside the guitar did not say TV or VOS. Was it either? The store said it was TV.

There are 2007 TVs (that was the first year), but the VOS limited runs were in 2008. (BTW, the VOS guitars had special labels, and they came with little COAs in passport case-like holders to confirm.)

2) I've tried the Modern Classic and prefer the tone of the True Vintage. Should I order a TV from the store? It should theoretically sound like the guitar I played previously.

Theoretically, they all sound different. Even if the specs and build were identical to the N-th decimal place -- something that will never be true of instruments produced with so much hand work -- there is tremendous variation in relevant structural properties (not to mention tap tone) from one piece of wood to the next which affects the tone of the resulting guitar. Your best bet is to listen before you buy, although liberal return policies can also be your friend.

-- Bob R

I ordered a J-45 True Vintage today. Hope it's got that excellent J-45 sound that I know so well. The price that the shop gave me was beyond excellent. If it doesn't work out, I can sell it on e-bay and probably only lose about $100 or so. Should take about 8 weeks to get her.

I ordered a J-45 True Vintage today. Hope it's got that excellent J-45 sound that I know so well. The price that the shop gave me was beyond excellent. If it doesn't work out, I can sell it on e-bay and probably only lose about $100 or so. Should take about 8 weeks to get her.

So what shop gave you the great price ?

There are 2007 TVs (that was the first year), but the VOS limited runs were in 2008. (BTW, the VOS guitars had special labels, and they came with little COAs in passport case-like holders to confirm.)

-- Bob R

Hi Bob, can I ask please for you to elaborate on the special labels? Does it say "VOS" on an orange label? Very curious if you know. Thanks.

Hi Bob, can I ask please for you to elaborate on the special labels? Does it say "VOS" on an orange label?

"True Vintage" and "Limited Edition" are inserted into the ring around the outside of the label on the limited run VOS guitars. Except for that, it's basically the standard orange label. (On my SJ-200, the model is listed on the label as "SJ-200 VOS", but I've heard Gibson was not 100% reliable about getting the "VOS" on there.)

-- Bob R

Back in November I purchased a 2007 J-45 True Vintage. The label doesn't say anything about True Vintage, just J-45. It does have the Banner on the headstock and all the other TV appointments like aged binding on the body etc. The one thing I found out about the 2007 TV J-45s is they have sitka tops. Gibson folks told me that was the last year for the sitka tops and then they went to adirondack tops. That would really be the only difference in the one you would order now versus the "one that got away". You cannot go wrong with the TV. Now I did play one of the new John Hiatt models and it was disappointing, could have been that guitar (they have sitka tops by the way). Hanging right next to it was a new Brad Paisley J-45 and it had the ring and tone of my 2007. You just need to try them.

Archived