Gibson Brands Forums

The only band that mattered.

Twiz

Here in the midwest, they came and went completely unnoticed. This was Van Halen country!

Who? The 'Mats or The Clash? The Replacements are from Minneapolis, so they certainly weren't unoticed there. As usual though, it all depends on who you were/are listening to. The Replacements never got much airplay. You had to go see them or buy the records. The Clash got a little more airplay and were bigger, but not Van Halen big. You couldn't turn on the radio without hearing Van Halen, so they were everywhere, and had an entirely different appeal than bands like the 'Mats and the Clash. I'm too young to have seen the Replacements, but I sure wish I could have been at some of their shows.

Here in the midwest, they came and went completely unnoticed. This was Van Halen country!

Haha, I hear ya man. I mean, I love Van Halen as well. Today, I'm just in a Clash kinda mood.

I dunno if i would agree that the Ramones were underrated. They were a cultural icon and some of teh first pioners of American punk rock, but they were not an amazing band.

It may depend on where you grew up. I grew up in Waynes World. If you had a Ramones patch on your jacket you ran the risk of fist fighting with the acid demim, can o hair spray crowd that couldnt see past Warrant and Metallica. Not Amazing? Pffft, They wrote some fantastic clever and catchy songs. Not to mention were one of the greatest live acts around. The Clash revered the Ramones and always cited them as a primary influence.

Archived