Gibson Brands Forums

Lemon oil on fretboard - Yes/No?

NeoConMan

My guitars don't see gigs very often, all have low playing time on them.

I use a good soft cloth for wiping, and polish when needed.

Same when restringing, I just get in tight against the frets with a dry cloth.

We'll see.

Maple needs nothing, just clean it - just like P.S. said.

linseed oil. pure RAW linseed oil. much better than lemon oil. they sell you lemon oil in guitar stores b/c you have to use it more often. you can apply linseed oil with a q-tip. let it sit for 1 or 2 minutes then wipe off as much as possible. of course, any of this conditioning should only be done when needed. over doing it can cause frets to come loose.

Does it leave a residue?

That's the deal breaker for me.

I don't care HOW good it is for the guitar.

If it leaves a residue, I won't play it.

Am I nuts, or do these oils get completely absorbed in a short period of time?

I use lemon oil very sparingly, once every couple of years. And then only on rosewood fingerboards, and only when they look dry.

I know guys who oil their guitar every string change. They're usually the same ones who are wiping them down on stage, the second they ended the last song:-"

Fret Doctor once a year, and lemon oil every string change (2x a year) to clean.

I always clean the board twice a year when I do a full set-up, and condition before winter.

Dry wood shrinks and cracks, wet wood expands and swells. Keeping the fret board oiled prevents these two drastic extremes and helps the wood better adjust to the conditions it's exposed to.

Avoid linseed oil, unless you are trying to seal the wood completely, though it does work really well.

Wiping down after playing does keep the grime off longer, but it's always good to clean it every so often so that the grime doesn't absorb moisture and get under the frets and cause them to pop.

Just like all other things, moderation is the key. Lemon oil is just fine twice a year, and does a good job.

Most funiture spray "lemon oil" is just mineral oil with some citronella oil for that lemon scent. There was an old brand called "Tres Amigos" that was real oil of lemon. It was very strong. I used it on an old rosewood board fender and it still smells like lemon, and that was 26 years ago! There is this stuff called "Gorgomyte" that supposed to be good.

I use it on all my guitars once or twice a year. Not so much to condition the wood but as a safe way to clean grime that builds up on the fingerboard. Don't use it on a finished fingerboard (like a strat) otherwise you'll get the slime that you felt on your table. Unfinished fingerboard should absorb it fine...

Use pure lemon oil' date=' and a cloth about as abrasive as a washcloth. Put the cloth over the top of the bottle with your finger over the hole and turn up the bottle to just dampen the cloth. You will use VERY little. Works great.

[/quote']

+1

I don't know if this was mentioned yet but as long as it doesn't contain ANY pertolium it will be OK but don't let it soak in, eventually it could work it's way to the glue holding the fret markers in and start disolving it. Put on & wipe off

Unfortunately, I have to change strings in more or less three weeks. I play twice a week, and if there are good air conditioning, I don´t sweat a lot, but if it´s a heavy, cold, and humid place, I sweat a lot, and strings get dirty in 2 or 3 hours of playing. So, my tone is lost, and in three weeks, i change, or i have to substitute one broken string (and then i change all of those).

So, Using lemon oil in every string change is too much i believe. But what, maybe in a 2 month´s/ 3 months period it´s ok right?

I´m questioning this because I want my les paul VOS (2007) to last FOREVER. so, lemon oil isn´t damaging the fretboard in long time period right?

Unfortunately' date=' I have to change strings in more or less three weeks. I play twice a week, and if there are good air conditioning, I don´t sweat a lot, but if it´s a heavy, cold, and humid place, I sweat a lot, and strings get dirty in 2 or 3 hours of playing. So, my tone is lost, and in three weeks, i change, or i have to substitute one broken string (and then i change all of those).

So, Using lemon oil in every string change is too much i believe. But what, maybe in a 2 month´s/ 3 months period it´s ok right?

I´m questioning this because I want my les paul VOS (2007) to last FOREVER. so, lemon oil isn´t damaging the fretboard in long time period right?[/quote']

Yes, way too often. You don't want it to soak in and loosen the fret wire. Warm breath or a slightly damp rag will work great for frequent cleaning.

Archived