Gibson Brands Forums

Which would you pick?

Andre S

I want to get a guitar for slide....the melody maker was my first choice, but I found a modified 1970's Gibson S-1 that I kinda like the look of...

The Gibson S-1 is selling for $395 (a vintage guitar site listed expected price for these around $700)

Its original 3 single coils have been swapped for 2 humbuckers and the black with white trim pickguard has been changed for a tortoise shell pickguard....also the guitar was refinished in black.

The Melody Maker is $485 and with both I would prefer a natural finish, so I would attempt refinishing...

Remember this guitar would primarily be used for slide and other alt. tuning songs...

I am leaning toward the S-1 but that may change.

What's your opinon?

Truthfully...well, I don't think the S-1 is something you should pass up, even if you end up not using it for slide. It's a vintage guitar, it's got extra points for being a cool model that a lot of people don't know about, and frankly I think i looks better than the Melody Maker. Then again, I'm biased since I think the Melody Maker has always been an especially ugly guitar (the double-cut especially, but even the single-cut just looks wrong to me, for some reason I can't really figure out.)

Besides, the S-1 would be cheaper in your case, and it's a freakin' S-1! How many other Gibson S-1s have you even seen?

Truthfully...well, I don't think the S-1 is something you should pass up, even if you end up not using it for slide. It's a vintage guitar, it's got extra points for being a cool model that a lot of people don't know about, and frankly I think i looks better than the Melody Maker. Then again, I'm biased since I think the Melody Maker has always been an especially ugly guitar (the double-cut especially, but even the single-cut just looks wrong to me, for some reason I can't really figure out.)

Besides, the S-1 would be cheaper in your case, and it's a freakin' S-1! How many other Gibson S-1s have you even seen?

+1. I've always dug the S-1's.

I guess so....but then it loses points for being heavily modified and refinished....

I was thinking though that I would replace the nameless humbuckers with a Dimarzio PAF, just one, and add a varitone (where the chicken head knob on an origianl would be) add RS parts and refinish it....

But of course I may like it as it stands.

I guess so....but then it loses points for being heavily modified and refinished....

I was thinking though that I would replace the nameless humbuckers with a Dimarzio PAF, just one, and add a varitone (where the chicken head knob on an origianl would be) add RS parts and refinish it....

But of course I may like it as it stands.

It is a bit of a bummer it's modified. Original it would be a no brainer.

Another nod to the S-1.

As far as I know they first became available in '75 but I've no idea for how long they were listed.

Anyone out there know dates and numbers produced?

From my research they were available from 1975 to 79ish

The woods used changed a lot through those years varying from alder then maple and then mahogany.

They used a laminate maple neck, rosewood fingerboard and three single coil pups...( I heard bill lawrence but I'm not sure.

From my research they were available from 1975 to 79ish

The woods used changed a lot through those years varying from alder then maple and then mahogany.

They used a laminate maple neck, rosewood fingerboard and three single coil pups...( I heard bill lawrence but I'm not sure.

Thanks for that. Very interesting.

I played one back in the day. It must have been an alder one as I remember it being a lovely golden-yellow colour. With the black pickguard and rosewood neck it looked classy for what was really a budget instrument.

I don't remember much else about it other than liking it's appearance. It must have been in about '76. I had no idea what made one guitar better/different from another apart from the looks!

Thanks for that. Very interesting.

I played one back in the day. It must have been an alder one as I remember it being a lovely golden-yellow colour. With the black pickguard and rosewood neck it looked classy for what was really a budget instrument.

I don't remember much else about it other than liking it's appearance. It must have been in about '76. I had no idea what made one guitar better/different from another apart from the looks!

I don't suppose you remember if it was very heavy? I read some reviews saying it was extremely heavy..... I thought it looked awesome, with the headstock it would look like the Gibson Skylark guitar that Joe Bonamassa uses for slide...add a varitone instead of a blend knob, refinish it to natural (it is currently black from a previous refinish) and the pickup cavity was rerouted for two humbuckers instead of three single coils.

I don't suppose you remember if it was very heavy? I read some reviews saying it was extremely heavy....

It was certainly heavier than my then-current guitar (which weighs about 7.5lb). I can't remember how much heavier it was though...

Sorry.

I'd love to see one going cheap over here...

Honestly, play one. The sounds you (or at least I) can get out of it are astonishing.

1. Yup thats one thing I like about it, no problem modifying a Vintage guitar because its been rerouted, wiring changed and refinished.

2. Yea usually I play slide in an open tuning.

Fred....I can't try it out because they are not carried locally.....to play it I would have to buy it....

But I am going to the local shop to get some strings today so I will see if I see anything that looks nice (I doubt I will)

And buying the S-1 is a chance to keep my guitars ( the ones I use ) American Made.

Archived