Gibson Brands Forums

Robert Johnson L-1

zane

Congrats!

Not sure if it is true but I have heard rumours this guitar has been discontinued. Although both Gibson and Fender would have to build a warehouse to hold all the rumours that have floated around about them - it would explain a sudden drop in price.

Johnny Shines who traveled with Johnson, of course, never saw him actually play a Gibson - only a 14 fret Kalamazoo and a Stella. It may be that the suit he was wearing was not the only thing Johnson brorrowed for the Memphis studio photo.

Congrats!

Not sure if it is true but I have heard rumours this guitar has been discontinued. Although both Gibson and Fender would have to build a warehouse to hold all the rumours that have floated around about them - it would explain a sudden drop in price.

Johnny Shines who traveled with Johnson, of course, never saw him actually play a Gibson - only a 14 fret Kalamazoo and a Stella. It may be that the suit he was wearing was not the only thing Johnson brorrowed for the Memphis studio photo.

well I'd seen a few online stores that said they were discontinued , but Sweetwater said they could get 'em...

I emailed Gibson & they said they were available for order thru Gibson dealers...

I really could care less If Johnson played one, I just as soon NOT have his name on it...my brother in law has a vintage one & I've always loved playing it...

love the size, V neck, feel & sound of it ;)

Oooh, and now you will get to have your own Sweetwater Sales Engineer. A few years back I got in touch with them to get a free Fender T-shirt they were offering. Ended up with Kyle - my own personal sales engineer. After about two years though he finally give up on me.

Hi- congrats on the new guitar

I've been wondering about this guitar for a while but not yet had a chance to play one. With such a small body can you play hard or do you have to slacken off to avoid it breaking up. I'm ideally looking a blues guitar with a bit of growl.

Hope you enjoy it!

Yeah....congrats!!! Was this an NOS (new old stock)? Do they still make these or are they only special order? Thanks

they had 2 come in at the same time... they had 'em ordered before I got in touch with 'em...they do have 'em listed on their web site!

Hi- congrats on the new guitar

I've been wondering about this guitar for a while but not yet had a chance to play one. With such a small body can you play hard or do you have to slacken off to avoid it breaking up. I'm ideally looking a blues guitar with a bit of growl.

Hope you enjoy it!

I don't play with a pick, but I do strum it up a little bit... sounds good to me!

it does have a GROWL!

I don't play with a pick, but I do strum it up a little bit... sounds good to me!

it does have a GROWL!

Congrads on the guitar! I played one at Fullers in Houston and was blown away by its tone, playability and responsiveness. It made my short list but I wanted a dreadnought (I thought Martin d-28 series). I still interested in getting one.

+1 on the name thing (Even RJ!) one of the reasons I did not pull the trigger on the RJ or Cheryl Crow although they were 2 of my favs.

Curious how the L-1 compares with L-00 sound and tone wise?

Archived