Gibson Brands Forums

Music theory

AaronJames

post-25414-088343900 1284677807_thumb.jpgI've composed my own Idea for music. I've seen that in some songs that they have the same pattern in a way and others have something completly different even if there the same type of music

as you see in the picture you can see the type B, purple haze in my mind is a type B, try to visualize the song with the line going..., to me it has pointy edges in the line, why'll other songs like sweet home alabama for example has curvy lines...Does any get what I mean?

The thread title is misleading.

Music Theory as defined by Dictionary.com "Definition: the study of the theoretical elements of music including sound and pitch, rhythm, melody, harmony, and notation"

and for further clarification, a theory is;

"a coherent group of general propositions used as principles of explanation for a class of phenomena: Einstein's theory of relativity. "

Yours is neither, but keep trying and who knows.

I found this VID of Dave martone, friend of my uncle and he kinda gets it, watch the video

Uhm . . . he starts with a standard arpeggio, then says he wants to do it different. Then he completely changes it. So the runs are different.

Seems pretty simple. Two different runs are different.

[blink]

post-25414-088343900 1284677807_thumb.jpgI've composed my own Idea for music. I've seen that in some songs that they have the same pattern in a way and others have something completly different even if there the same type of music

as you see in the picture you can see the type B, purple haze in my mind is a type B, try to visualize the song with the line going..., to me it has pointy edges in the line, why'll other songs like sweet home alabama for example has curvy lines...Does any get what I mean?

I highly recommend finding either a private teacher, or some schooling. Wouldnt have to be much schooling, like maybe one music class at a community college. You wont believe what getting a real handle on Western Music will do for your guitar playing.

I think I kind of see what you're saying and I think I see what you're trying to look at. You're trying to make a plot of the emotional feel or intensity of the song from start to finish. You're trying to show that in "Sweet Home" the music is flowing smoothly and stays more closely to one style and one sound. "Purple Haze" jumps all over the place as far as the tempo and style. The notes are all over the place. He's ripping up and down the strings.

I think I get it and I like it. I think you might be onto something that we haven't figured out yet.

There are graphical techniques and models used in some kinds of engineering - way beyond my level of understanding - where they use a bunch of lines representing different machine parts. They use lines and shapes to connect them together according to some rules and then they can see visually how the different parts interact and work as a system. They didn't realize how to do this modelling until they messed around with the concept.

So you might be onto something that we can't understand right now. I'd keep thinking about it. [thumbup]

Archived