Gibson Brands Forums

First guitar lesson ever tonight

davidl

I've been playing off and on over the past 30 years. Mostly just this past year with any regularity and really want to improve and understand music. I found a teacher that will come to my home for lessons and the first one is tonight. Really looking forward to it.

Maybe one of these days I won't be too self consious to record a soundtrack for others to listen to.

Dave

I had my third lesson Monday night at the music store. I am 57 and have played guitar since I was 13 but never had a lesson. I want to get better also. My instructor is great and a very good teacher and guitarist.

My teachers theory is that with guys like me that have played a long time, they can take us to being a lead guitarist from a strummer. Working on Sultans of Swing this week.

Hang in there, it will be a lot of fun for you and a good teacher/player will get you moved ahead of you by yourself any day.

I've been playing off and on over the past 30 years. Mostly just this past year with any regularity and really want to improve and understand music. I found a teacher that will come to my home for lessons and the first one is tonight. Really looking forward to it.

Maybe one of these days I won't be too self conscious to record a soundtrack for others to listen to.

Dave

Dave, let us know how you make out with your guitar lesson tonight and how your teacher. That's unusual these days that a teacher would travel to their student's house.

I remember in the late 50's, early 60's when my older brother (he was 8 years older than me) was taking accordion lessons and the teacher used to come the the

house. When he hit the high notes our dog would howl. It was so funny. I want to go back to taking guitar lessons myself, once I retire from the work rat-race,

which I hope will be sometime after mid next year, if things work out. I think it's the only way to be held accountable and to make good progress, especially

if you have a good teacher. Good luck and keep us posted...Paul

I had my third lesson Monday night at the music store. I am 57 and have played guitar since I was 13 but never had a lesson. I want to get better also. My instructor is great and a very good teacher and guitarist.

My teachers theory is that with guys like me that have played a long time, they can take us to being a lead guitarist from a strummer. Working on Sultans of Swing this week.

Hang in there, it will be a lot of fun for you and a good teacher/player will get you moved ahead of you by yourself any day.

McBride, I'm your age and started playing when I was 14. My mother pulled me out of lessons after the first year as she couldn't afford it anymore (widowed with

a few kids to raise). I fumbled around on my own the rest of high school and then stopped when I went to college. When I got out of college, I got inspired by my

neighbor across the street who was jamming. I had my own job at that time and my own money to spend. I went out and bought an electric guitar (Strat) and we

started a band. I've played in bands since then, on and off. I've gone through two divorces, working nights, etc. And it puts a damper on how much time, money,

etc. I've have to keep progressing. I pick up more stuff when I get the chance to play with other people. That's why whenever I can, I get involved playing in a band.

I'm looking forward in the near future into going back to taking lessons. I play fairly well, but I need that extra guidance/push to help me with stuff I couldn't

tackle on my own without a good teacher.

Sultans of Swing. [thumbup] Now there's a song I would like to tackle. Mark Knofler is a great guitar player and doesn't always get the recognition he's due. Let us know how you progress as time goes on. Best of luck. It's never to late to teach an old dog new tricks. [biggrin]

I seem to be in good company on the forum.

Lots of folks have some decent skills and experience but need some holes filled and structure instilled. Thats where I am. I'm a bit player for the most part. Plays lots of parts of songs. Love to jam to blues though. In the right key, I can go on for a long time. I want to learn to solo in more that one or two keys comfortably.

I'll give a report either tomight or tomorrow. I fully expect to really enjoy it. I was quite surprised to have the teacher come to my place which by coincidence is only 5 minutes away from his place and in English too. I live in a french environment.

Dave

After a few lessons try to work out specifically what you want to get out of them and move in that direction, it really helps to have a few goals in mind to work towards so your teacher can prepare lesson ideas beforehand instead of standing around and dividing your time and attention. Trust me it'll really help, and make sure you enjoy it!

Cheers

Very curious on this one, Dave. How about all you lesson recipients keeping us posted on the specifics of where the guitar instructors have you each going.... and if you can steer toward your goal as A. Owl mentioned. I'd sure like to know. My formal guitar lessons were 40 yrs. ago from Seymour. I took voice lessons 10 yrs. ago and the guy had me master operatic technique. Told me, if I did so, other singing styles would be there to use as I chose. He was right. What these guitar instructors have to offer you might be cool for all of us to know. Enjoy, Dave.

Well, had my first lesson and I'm pretty pleased.

We spent about 10 minutes just jamming a little to some bluesy stuff and he figured out that I can already play. This really pleased him as it helped him steer his teachings.

I've always played by ear and from seeing others and experimenting, never really learned any theory.

Tonight I just learned what all the notes are called progressing up the fingerboard. I don't know why that was always a mystery to me. As he was explaining the progression, I discovered patterns.

I don't think I'm intimidated by the theoretical side of things any more. I seem to grasp the ghist pretty quick.

I'm going to work at this. I'm quite enthused by the whole idea of taking lessons. Lots of holes to fill and discoveries to make.

Next lesson next Thursday.

I'll do my homework.

Dave

Archived