Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar won't stayed tune.

Steven Tari

My new ES-339 , I'm having a hard time keeping it tuned. When I go out into the garage to practice, I let it set for a half hour or so, while setting up my amp's and mic's. This way the guitar will set with the temp. change. Just lately I find It's hard to keep it tuned. Maybe I'm not used to this new tuner I was given. Even though It's from the Custom shop should I take it to get set up? Is there something I might try to help this. After about a half hour today, I spent almost all the time trying to tune, I went in and got my Zephyr so I could finish practicing a new song I'm writing. Any Suggestions?[confused]

Strange but my guitars, especially all set-necks go kind of crazy with the season changes even inside the house in a 100% climate controlled enviroment.

I do have to say that after a few tweaks they tune fine though.

I would look at the truss rod nut before doing anything else, one time I found my old LP had a loose nut, this was after weather changes. The neck was not that bowed but it definitely needed tightening.

What guage strings do you like? You can't go wrong with some good ol' Ernie Ball Regular Slinkies. They're 10s so you won't have to make any adjustments to put them on.

Try Big Bends Nut Sauce to lube the nut. I haven't used it personally but I hear it's good.

You can also use graphite to lube the nut. Just take a regular pencil and grind the graphite into a fine powder and put a little in the nut slots.

I really didn't have this problem while in the house, Plus we have had steady rain for the past couple days here in Hamptonroads. But still I don't have that problem with my older guitars.:blink:

Its a new guitar, it needs some seasoning time.

If the neck is straight, no need to go anywhere near the truss rod.

Nothing to do with tuning stability either.

I mean, Stiffhand is correct that it should not be spinning around, but...

If the nut is completely loose, that scares me for a different reason.

[scared]

New Gibson = sticking nut.

I'd bet money on it.

May need to get it filed a bit by somebody who won't screw it up.

Push down on each string above the nut and release - see if any of them stay sharp of pitch.

If it is noticeably so, the nut is not allowing the string to return through the nut.

If the neck is straight, no need to go anywhere near the truss rod.

Nothing to do with tuning stability either.

I mean, Stiffhand is correct that it should not be spinning around, but...

If the nut is completely loose, that scares me for a different reason.

[scared]

New Gibson = sticking nut.

I'd bet money on it.

May need to get it filed a bit by somebody who won't screw it up.

Push down on each string above the nut and release - see if any of them stay sharp of pitch.

If it is noticeably so, the nut is not allowing the string to return through the nut.

Gawd dang it!

We have to stop agreeing on stuff!

A big plus for you!

When you take your axe to the garage to play, going from warm to cool, you will need to retune twice. It's just the way it's gotta be. And you will need to be careful to stretch/bend the strings enough when you're tuning to a colder temperature to retension the strings between the nut and the tuning pegs, especially if you have a lot of wraps around the post.

[thumbup]

Archived