Gibson Brands Forums

New (old) Pedal Day!

Twiz

I've been wanting a RAT dirt box for a while now. Last week I saw a guy selling one on Craigslist. I emailed him an offer of $50 for it, and he said that he'd take it. I drove out to pick it up, thinking I was getting one of the newer ones that are now made in China. It turned out this particular RAT is about 12 years old, made in the USA, and contains the coveted LM308 chip! It sounds pretty awesome, and my Epi Valve Jr loves it. I definitely can't wait to record some stuff with it.

3303.jpg

3305.jpg

3311.jpg

Great buy. Those old pedals were made at their factory in Kalamazoo, MI. A friend of mine in college worked there and he built me a regular Rat with a Tubro Rat pot for the volume. Insane jet plane on your house sound. I quit using it years ago and sold it for $50 back in 2005 to the front guy in Umlaut (metal band from Fort Collins, CO). While I don't miss it, that was one killer noise maker.

Nice!! That's a steal considering what they go for on Ebay!!

Yeah, that was a minor moral dilemma for me. -When I saw what it was. I wasn't sure if I should offer him more $$ or not. It's not like I'm going to flip it. I mean, I definitely plan on keeping it to write songs with. I dunno, the seller was cool with the $50, so I guess it's ok.

Anyhoo, I'm going to try to post a sound clip tonight after I get home from work.

Guest rogerb

I had one of those several years ago, I agree, they are a great pedal. I still have a rack

mount Rat but there is just something about that pedal!

Archived