Gibson Brands Forums

IMO, Metallica are the modern day Beatles...

swleary

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To many people hate them and i dont believe thousands were calling the Beatles sell outs.

Metallica morfed, survived and kept themselves current in their own style, they are still carrying that flag.

People that call them sellouts are the same people that bought those millions of Creed records in the 90's.

I never saw Metallica as a sellout, if they put out the same record everytime, (like some bands do) I would call them a sellout, not risking is a sellout as well IMO excluding AC/DC that is.

I don't take much of my own personal music inspiration from either band. I know that it's impossible to say that you've NEVER been influenced by a particular band, even by association of liking one artist who was influenced by a different artist and by association you were influenced by them too, but in terms of direct musical influence you won't find The Beatles or Metallica on any of my play lists.

I like Metallica well enough...however, I can't say my playing/writing has been influenced by them at all. I am but one guitar player though...

Did you know they were originally supposed to be called "Metallic"? When the A&R rep asked James what the name of their band was, he replied "Metallic-ahhhh"...

That was a joke. It seems he cannot end a sentence/word without adding "ahhhhhh"...the end.

Metalica lacks the universal appeal the Beatles had. I never was a big Metalica fan and could never understand why they were so popular. Hetfields singing sounds contrived to me, very annoying.

On another note, I remember AC/DC management touting them as the next Rolling Stones around the Highway To Hell era.

I'm not of the opinion that Metallica "sold out". I just either lost interest after the black album, or got tired of waiting for their next album. I can't decide which.

I LOVE old school Metallica. I couldn't pick a favorite album if I tried.

However, I will say that I feel "...And Justice For All" never got the respect it deserved.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DU_ggFovJNo

Good sh!t [thumbup]

Yeah St.Anger wasnt a sellout album. :rolleyes:

I also vote Metllcia most ***** metal band of all time award, you guys earned it! :D

You are 15 years old.

You were not even born when Metallica already had like 6 or 7 albums.

You are not the most metal person here, you have no authority on the subject because you are just learning it now...after the fact. We can all read Wikipedia.

St. Anger is crap but it is so raw that even the most metal guys can listen all the way through, as bad as that is funny.

You will never understand the place of Metallica in the Metal world because you are too late, too late (Motohead reference).

You should listen more, there are people here that know about metal and its roots and were actually there.

Or

Enjoy New Metal, that's what your generation gets.

Modern day Beatles??? Are you nuts?

More like the modern day Led Zeppelin. Metallica didn't influence a generation, politics or a methodology of thought outside of their music. For the Beatles, it spanding beyond the band... Metallica, as great as they are and as one of the best all time bands, is no Beatles. Sorry.

Modern day Beatles??? Are you nuts?

More like the modern day Led Zeppelin. Metallica didn't influence a generation, politics or a methodology of thought outside of their music. For the Beatles, it spanding beyond the band... Metallica, as great as they are and as one of the best all time bands, is no Beatles. Sorry.

Well said, these young ones don't understand the way the world was back at the begining of the Beatles time. Metallica, great? that depends on how you define greatness. In the Music world, from all times.Not in my book.

I don't take much of my own personal music inspiration from either band. I know that it's impossible to say that you've NEVER been influenced by a particular band, even by association of liking one artist who was influenced by a different artist and by association you were influenced by them too, but in terms of direct musical influence you won't find The Beatles or Metallica on any of my play lists.

What about the Birds?

Hahaha couldn't resist!

Archived