Gibson Brands Forums

In estrus...

NeoConMan

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem is not the established AKC Breeders its the puppy mills and those (like the trailer trash here in Mississippi) that get two crappy CKC pets and breed the hell out of them for money only.

That's a heartbreaking story. I agree, the mills are the real problem. Some people think "hobby breeders" are the problem and that "professional breeders" are doing everything right. Actually, it's just the opposite. The "professionals" are the millers.... "hobby breeders" are like myself. I breed very little and only for my own quest to get the perfect Pug. Because I can't keep every dog I breed, I sell the puppies I can't keep, and I've never made a cent on my puppies. I hope not to lose too much. The millers breed a ***** to the point of exhaustion, pulling the puppies at 6 weeks shipping them off to the pet stores. Because the puppies never had a chance to "bond" with their litter-mates and mother, for the most part they have "issues". Backyard breeders run the gambit from a miller to a responsible breeder. Depends on what they know about dogs. My old guy, Gage, was one of the top producers in the US, (Sired 17 Conformation Champions), and countless people called to ask if we'd breed to their *****. We normally asked why they wanted to breed their *****. Sometimes they'd say, "she wants to be a mother", or "I thought you should let a ***** have a litter before spaying her." We try to educate those people.

I own many dogs...but only 9 live with me. Two males, one Gage, the other a neutered retired champion, and 7 *****es. The only non-spayed *****es I own is the one girl I continue to show, and another who recently finished her championship. The one I show will get bred once or twice, the younger one will never get bred, (I don't like her front).

I don't think its right to walk into a shelter and say "I want that one" either...the dogs behaviour and energy level has to be a good match for a potential home.

I'm very specific. Must be good w/ other animals, children and most importantly have chemistry w/ me. I don't care about breed. That's how I ended up w/ my Chow/retriever (who died 1/31/10). She was perfect. She only did one thing that really pissed me off during the 7 yrs I had her. She ate a dirty diaper and expelled it in the house [angry] in multiple rooms. :angry: :angry: Gross.

I don't care about breed. That's how I ended up w/ my Chow/retriever

My take on a Chow/Retriever mix is that you could well end up with a dog that has the inbred passion to chase things, (Retriever), with a dog that can't run well, (Chow). If you notice, a Chow has almost no bend of stifle, creating a dog that cannot run well or for very long, (remember, the Chinese took this Mongolian-bred dog and used it for food, so they didn't want their "food" running off).

You can also get a fighting dog, (Chow), that can run you down no matter where you go, (Retriever).

When you get a puppy, how do you know which one your dog will turn out to be?

When you get a puppy, how do you know which one your dog will turn out to be?[/b]

When you are born, how do your parents know you won't end up a meth head? Or have asthma? etc etc.

You do your parenting. That's the way I see it. Life is not about guarantees or knowing what you're going to get.

You work hard with the dog you get. That's my take.

When you are born, how do your parents know you won't end up a meth head? Or have asthma? etc etc.

You do your parenting. That's the way I see it. Life is not about guarantees or knowing what you're going to get.

Meth can along after I was already old.

However, since they both knew my parentage, they were pretty sure I wan't going to be a pro football player! (and probably figured I'd play the guitar)

Well put. I am a firm believer in this. I have never met a bad pit bull. Know why? They all had owners who took good care of the dog. My chow was the most passive dog ever. We have 2 smaller dogs that would try to play w/ her. She died at 15 yrs old. The pug is 4 and the chihuahua is 5. The chow never snapped in anger even in old age. She simple stood up (best she could) and walked away, usually trying to hide by me.

My take on a Chow/Retriever mix is that you could well end up with a dog that has the inbred passion to chase things, (Retriever), with a dog that can't run well, (Chow). If you notice, a Chow has almost no bend of stifle, creating a dog that cannot run well or for very long, (remember, the Chinese took this Mongolian-bred dog and used it for food, so they didn't want their "food" running off).

You can also get a fighting dog, (Chow), that can run you down no matter where you go, (Retriever).

When you get a puppy, how do you know which one your dog will turn out to be?

So far I'm a fan of pound puppies. My two dogs both came from the local shelter. They were both strays. Maggie is about 10 years old and is a Border Collie mix. Probably the smartest dog I've known. Dakota is an 18 month old Belgian Shepperd mix. Look just like a Belgian. Not quite as smart as Maggie but still young. I swear these dogs are forever grateful for being rescued and are the most loyal loveable animals. They need lots of action and space to run full out. Fortunately my property is easily sufficient.

I also have absolutely no problem with those who prefer to have pure breeds from reputable breeders.

What does break my heart is people getting animals and not taking good care of them.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Dave

So far I'm a fan of pound puppies. My two dogs both came from the local shelter. They were both strays. Maggie is about 10 years old and is a Border Collie mix. Probably the smartest dog I've known.

Dave

Dave, when I was in Ireland in August, I watched two border collies herd sheep. Damndest thing you've ever seen. The shepherd had a whistle and one dog responded to one set of commands and the other responded to another. The shepherd could ask them to move the sheep left, right, up, down and even asked one of them to bring two sheep out of the flock to him...then had the other dog bring him another 2 sheep. You're right...they're the smartest dog you're gonna see.

My dad was a cowboy in Arizona back during the early 30's. The rancher he worked for had a border collie who went with my dad every day to take the cows out to a pasture, and then went with him to bring them back down. My dad used to tell me that the dog would stand at the gate and count the cows. If one was missing, it would run back out and wouldn't come back 'til he brought the stray cows with him.

I got my dog from the shelter as well. A lab border collie mix. And yes she is incredibly sharp. I think the combo makes for a smart, healthy dog. I won't go with a purebread but not opposed to those who do. I wanted to resuce one so I went to the shelter. One of the hardest things to do. I wanted to take them all home with me. I think the backyard breeders are the problem as well. It's when you start breeding dogs from the same litter. All that inbreeding just creates health problems. And they are compounded with each new litter. Just my 2 cents.

Dave, when I was in Ireland in August, I watched two border collies herd sheep. Damndest thing you've ever seen. The shepherd had a whistle and one dog responded to one set of commands and the other responded to another. The shepherd could ask them to move the sheep left, right, up, down and even asked one of them to bring two sheep out of the flock to him...then had the other dog bring him another 2 sheep. You're right...they're the smartest dog you're gonna see.

My dad was a cowboy in Arizona back during the early 30's. The rancher he worked for had a border collie who went with my dad every day to take the cows out to a pasture, and then went with him to bring them back down. My dad used to tell me that the dog would stand at the gate and count the cows. If one was missing, it would run back out and wouldn't come back 'til he brought the stray cows with him.

Sister is one of the top 5 Chihuahua breeders on the planet. I like the pure breeds, but I likes me some good 'ole American Rat Terriers, too. Go figure what that means.

I go to to the Eukanuba show here in CA every year.

I love watching the obedience trials. Bystanders have said that Border Collies and Australian Sheep dogs are the serial killers of the dog world. Gotta give 'em a job, or they'll make one up for themselves.

I'd have thrown you a plus, but the bold type is too Neo for my taste.

Sister is one of the top 5 Chihuahua breeders on the planet. I like the pure breeds, but I likes me some good 'ole American Rat Terriers, too. Go figure what that means.

I go to to the Eukanuba show here in CA every year.

I love watching the obedience trials. Bystanders have said that Border Collies and Australian Sheep dogs are the serial killers of the dog world. Gotta give 'em a job, or they'll make one up for themselves.

I'd have thrown you a plus, but the bold type is too Neo for my taste.

I go to the Eukanuba show too at times... maybe I'll look for you at the Chihuahua or Rat Terrier rings!

Where does your sister live? I know a LOT of chihauhua people, (I'm judging them at the end of the month in Dixon, CA!)

I go to the Eukanuba show too at times... maybe I'll look for you at the Chihuahua or Rat Terrier rings!

Where does your sister live? I know a LOT of chihauhua people, (I'm judging them at the end of the month in Dixon, CA!)

She's out of Phoenix.

They're all in Chicago this weekend for the specialty show - and I'm the unpaid kennel-help while she's gone.

I don't have any sheep, but she tries to herd the family, even the cats we used to have. I've instructed her to fetch my daughter's slippers, which were in different locations in the house and a specific pair. Identical to my wife's. She will always come back with the right pair. She responds to voice commands, hand signals and she will even look where you point. Try and get a human to do that. They usually look at your finger. The Belgian is a herder as well. She just needs more time. We tend to think she isn't as smart but it is an unfair comparison. They are different and both wonderful in their own ways. The Border Collie mix is a chicken when it comes to protection. She will race to the door barking as long as you are in front of her. The Belgian will race to stand between you and any possible threat.

Dave

Welcome back River. I had a shetland sheepdog (some people call them miniature collies or shelties) for the first 19 years of my life. Best dog I ever had, broke my heart when the old fella passed away. Nowadays I do a lot of duck hunting so I've got 2 AKC chocolate labs, really wanting another sheltie though.

Welcome back River. I had a shetland sheepdog (some people call them miniature collies or shelties) for the first 19 years of my life. Best dog I ever had, broke my heart when the old fella passed away. Nowadays I do a lot of duck hunting so I've got 2 AKC chocolate labs, really wanting another sheltie though.

I love the labs, too.

The key, is care.

You didn't have them for that long for not making it them a special place in your life.

I love my pound puppies (The collie mix and the white husky mix) and almost always get a pound puppies instead of a pure breed. Right or not I believe the dog from the pound knows you saved his life and he will always be grateful for that. Or at least thats my experience so far. As for pure breeds I went with and almost always will do pure breed shepherds and love them to death.

As for a remark earlier as to "Never meeting a bad Pit"; I do not agree with that statement it needs to include all breeds. A dog (or cat) is a reflection on its owner and its the owner who turns the animal into what they are. Neglect; training to fight, or just not caring will turn what was a pet more into its animal state but the right owner can almost always reverse that..

It all goes back to the caring.

Folks who get a dog and then throw it in the yard, and then get surprised about their "dogness" are the ones with the problems, in my experience.

I have had dogs for years than I wish to count.

Right now I have a 14 year old West Highland Terrier, and also a 3 year old Scottish Terrier..

I've had 3 Scotties, and they ARE territorial big time. Doesn't matter what size person or other dog is involved in the equation.

Shouldn't be surprised that a TERRIER is TERRITORIAL, (since both words come from "Tera" or earth).

Archived