Gibson Brands Forums

In estrus...

NeoConMan

Weak stomach?

Click away.

Last night I witnessed probably the most disgusting aspect of the female mammal reproductive cycle I can imagine.

(This is after many years of marriage and children)

My Queensland Heeler is always happy to come inside the house, and like most dogs is a bit of a tornado at first.

Well, due to being "in season" and leaking blood like a stuck pig she has been banished to the out of doors for a few days now.

Last night, I looked at the doorstep and saw no blood at all (she cleans it up) so I let her in to check her.

She made three giant leaps into the air as she passed through the doorway, and blood/mucus flew EVERYWHERE.

Even got plenty of it on my feet and legs...

"OUT!"

"OUT!"

"OUT!!!!"

Boy, she was so wounded.

The look on her face was heart-breaking.

So, off I go to get towels and a mop...

[cursing]

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hah!

Fxckers...

Yeah, she's small for a Heeler (25 pounds) but has perfect features and markings.

I'm thinking of mating her if I can find a small, similarly marked male and see if the size stays down.

Just think - miniature cow dogs!

[biggrin]

You guys in cow country know what I'm talking about...

[thumbup]

Hah!

[thumbup]

Yessir, I do. Even though I'm more of a city boy. However, been around so many country folk here that I sound like I know what I'm talking about. I just get a hay straw sticking out of my mouth and say, "Yep, that's right. Uhuh, You got it. Just put some Wd-40 on it and let it rip."

I'm sorry Shred, is there something you would like to say?

I'm not sure yet if I should be insulted by your insinuations, so please expand on your position, eh?

[flapper]

And before you do, please detail your experience with, and current ownership of dogs.

We can compare notes.

[-(

For the record, I'm pretty certain that none of the two litters of pups I sold in the last twenty years went to a shelter.

As for the strays and ferals I picked up around my home, most of them did.

I was forced to kill only a handful that posed a threat.

Yeah but I bet you love her. We have a 10 month old male dog. Sometimes I don't like him but I always love him. THIS comes from a guy who swore he would never get a dog. My buddy made a compelling argument once though. Suppose you put your dog and wife in the trunk of your car for three hours. When you open it, which one will lick your face and which one will slap your face?!?!

Hah!

Fxckers...

Yeah, she's small for a Heeler (25 pounds) but has perfect features and markings.

I'm thinking of mating her if I can find a small, similarly marked male and see if the size stays down.

Just think - miniature cow dogs!

[biggrin]

[thumbup]

Somebody in Oklahoma is already selling them.

As for the rest of it - little boys underwear (maybe size 6 or so) - tail goes through the fly - worked great on ours although she's bigger (50 pounds). the other choice was the panties she ate the crotch out of - tail through the hole - worked well too and embarrassed the heck out of her (the dog not the ex!)

Somebody in Oklahoma is already selling them?

Dammit.

[cursing]

Got any info?

I'll be there at the end of the year.

Funny, I got my first Heeler in Chickasha in 1987.

She lived seventeen glorious years before I had to put her down.

And Shred, she was fixed at 4 years - never had a litter.

Yeah, I've heard the Fruit of the Loom trick before, but she absolutely shreds anything made of fabric - even burlap.

Another day or two and it'll be manageable enough I can let 'er inside again.

Somebody in Oklahoma is already selling them?

Dammit.

[cursing]

Got any info?

I'll be there at the end of the year.

Funny, I got my first Heeler in Chickasha in 1987.

She lived seventeen glorious years before I had to put her down.

And Shred, she was fixed at 4 years - never had a litter.

Yeah, I've heard the Fruit of the Loom trick before, but she absolutely shreds anything made of fabric - even burlap.

Another day or two and it'll be manageable enough I can let 'er inside again.

Mine will be 15 in April - she's deaf now but still gets around pretty well - you just have to get her attention - then hand signals work just fine.

The breeders for the "mini-heelers" are in Wagoner - and there have been some discussions whether they're legit breeders or just a puppy mill. Their website is still up so you can at least check it out.

That said: http://www.thecowgirlsok.com/Horses%20For%20Sale.htm

Don't be sorry. I said what I wanted to say. [thumbup]

I'm probably more involved with purebred dogs than most people. Different dogs do different things. If you buy a dog from the shelter, how do you know you're not getting a dog that is so territorial that they put your neighbors at risk? Even when Obama wanted a family pet and all the "Animal Rights" people wanted him to get a shelter dog, he chose a Portugese Water Dog....why? Because they're hypo-allergenic...how did anyone KNOW a Portugese Water Dog is hypo-allergenic? Because purebred dog breeders maintain that breed attribute!

Every normal human feels bad for the mixed breeds that end up in shelters, but those dogs are not the result of responsible pure breed dog breeders.

I'm probably more involved with purebred dogs than most people. Different dogs do different things. If you buy a dog from the shelter, how do you know you're not getting a dog that is so territorial that they put your neighbors at risk? Even when Obama wanted a family pet and all the "Animal Rights" people wanted him to get a shelter dog, he chose a Portugese Water Dog....why? Because they're hypo-allergenic...how did anyone KNOW a Portugese Water Dog is hypo-allergenic? Because purebred dog breeders maintain that breed attribute!

Every normal human feels bad for the mixed breeds that end up in shelters, but those dogs are not the result of responsible pure breed dog breeders.

So they deserve to be passed over for a responsibly bred dog and be euthanized when they are perfectly healthy? I'm not against people buying/owning purebred dogs at all. I believe that breeding should be left to the experts, who do it as their only job, not hobbyists. I have volunteered in a shelter for the past 10 years so I have developed my views on this based on my experience, not what someone told me.

There are thousands of mutts in shelters everywhere that will be euthanized if they are not adopted. Many of them have issues, without a doubt and they should only go to homes with people who can handle them. In cases where they are vicious and cannot be adopted out, there are groups who can handle that. I don't think its right to walk into a shelter and say "I want that one" either...the dogs behaviour and energy level has to be a good match for a potential home.

If you're looking for specific attributes like a dog being hypo-allergenic, then a purebred is the way to go becase you can be sure (if you're buying through a reputable breeder). If you want a family dog and you don't have something like that in mind, then do you really need a dog with a certificate?

Anyway, I don't expect to change anyone's mind but wanted to share my thoughts as this is a topic I am passionate about.

Anyway, I don't expect to change anyone's mind but wanted to share my thoughts as this is a topic I am passionate about.

And I doubt I'll change your mind...and I'm passionate about my dogs too. As an AKC conformation exhibitor, breeder and judge, I've been fighting the "AR" groups for years now.

There are over 160 AKC recognized breeds of dogs. Almost every breed has a specific group the rescues their breed from shelters and works to get them into a good home. No single breed of dog is good for everyone. If you want to have a dog that will run alongside you when you ride your bicycle, you DON'T want a Pekinese, but you may well want a Dalmatian. Unless you ride VERY fast, but not very far, you probably don't want a Greyhound.

If you're an older person who is looking for a calm companion, you may do well to stay away from a border collie or Jack Russell Terrier, but you may well want that Pekinese or Pug.

The only way you could know that is that responsible breeders maintain those attributes in the dog.

If you have small children and buy a shelter dog, how do you know you won't be getting a mixed Pit Bull Terrier? And if you pick wrong, that do will very likely end up back in a shelter so the volunteers will be forced to euthanasia it.

Archived