Gibson Brands Forums

Joe Satriani

LarryUK

I'm off to see him in two weeks and I've been listening to a compilation cd of his. Is it me or is he too technical? There doesn't seem much 'taste' there. He's a great player. But he needs to slow down.

I listened to Toto afterwards and in my opinion Steve lukather is a much more tasteful player. All this 'tapping' and 'shredding' is getting on my nerves.

Where has the soul gone from players? You don't need 40 notes when 10'll do.

I'm off to see him in two weeks and I've been listening to a compilation cd of his. Is it me or is he too technical? There doesn't seem much 'taste' there. He's a great player. But he needs to slow down.

I listened to Toto afterwards and in my opinion Steve lukather is a much more tasteful player. All this 'tapping' and 'shredding' is getting on my nerves.

Where has the soul gone from players? You don't need 40 notes when 10'll do.

from the way you describe him it's a wonder why your going to his gig :-k

By technical I mean a mass of meaningless notes. By feel I mean a solo that stays with you after you've heard it.

Ie, Billie Jean solo by EVH

That has tapping but fits the song.

Neal Schon does tasty stuff.

I like solo's that make me rewind and listen again.

I suppose it's personal taste but even some of Les Paul's stuff with Mary Ford is tasty. You can tell they've put effort and feel into them.

I'm going to see if he's as good live. I didn't like Clapton until I saw him live. Some players have to be seen to appreciate them. I'm not knocking him. I just find him a bit too over the top.

i saw joe with vai and eric johnson back in the mid 90's on the G3 tour...i loved it, but as you say you want to see him live before you pass judgment, tbh if you ain't into the players style on record then seeing him live won't change your mind much...what you see/hear is what you get (as described in your original post) [mellow]

Joe is the master of taste. I saw him in 2002 with King's X, and Dream Theater opening up for him. He blew both bands away. I thought X was better that Dream T. Great 3 piece band. Dream T. was way too out there with effex, and Petrucci was good but not like Satch. Here's Satch and Luke.

At one point Luke is trying so hard, Satch looks at him and says "What was that?" LOL. Joe remains cool throughout the whole thing.

You'll see who has the "tastier" blues licks... Luke makes a shred fest out of the thing, which is what it is, but Satch, who can shred like no other, doesn't do that and sticks mostly to Blues. He doesn't act like he needs to prove himself. Luke, on the other hand, throws in the kitchen sink, I guess because he feels he has to...

I go Satch all the way for showing class on this one, and Luke comes off as a stage hogging fool.

They are amazing guitar players all but the reason they are not in my faves category is that they are to guitar playing what singers like Mariah Carey are to vocals. Can't hold a note. But, then again, it's all a matter of personal taste for music. Liking David Gilmour much better than any of these certainly isn't because he's a better guitar player. Even he would admit that. It's those wonderful melodic solos he produces.

I'd rather watch Joe Bonamassa that that. It was showing off.

I must add though, Joe Sat was putting more effort into his playing there. He slowed down.

I think it takes a lot of effort to play slowly with taste. Vibrato etc.

Interesting topic....

I think JS has a place amongst the 'greats'

Arguably he said most of what he had to say in 'Surfing With the Alien'

An album with technique and soul

JS is hard working and strives for perfection

Hank Marvin has touched more hearts with his instrumentals..... :-({|=

One of my fave Satch songs is One Big Rush. It's not the longest song or the most earth shattering, but for me it has such melody and especially the fast runs, they grab me like I can't explain.

I happen to find the "soul" in Satch's playing just as I find it in BB's. Too many people knock "fast" players and say they lack soul etc... Yeah, there are some but not all.

Interesting topic....

Is it really? To me it's like discussing "Hey, I ate some liquorice candy and I didn't like it at all. I like apples though. Why isn't liquorice candy tasting more like apples?"

Is it really? To me it's like discussing "Hey, I ate some liquorice candy and I didn't like it at all. I like apples though. Why isn't liquorice candy tasting more like apples?"

Not a bad analogy! Or "Why can't you be more like your brother?!!".... Oh, the days... [biggrin]

Archived