Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Special Is Here

bluesguitar65

....By the way I love it, at least with the gloss finish and binding. Why not just make that??

Because the model with the binding and gloss finish is a limited run for Guitar Center only. You can't get it anywhere but GC. The other one that cost $1200 is a standard production run.

Because the model with the binding and gloss finish is a limited run for Guitar Center only. You can't get it anywhere but GC. The other one that cost $1200 is a standard production run.

Yes, but why? Hmmm.. I just thought of something. Maybe its GC thats calling the shots for the "cool" LP Special. That would make sense. GC goes to Gibson and says "Hey can you make such and such guitar, maybe a run of about 1000 or or so with these specs?"

Yeah? No? Close?

Hmmmm......are we referring to the same guitar? The one GC has on the Oct issue catalog is the GC exclusive limited run specail for $999 which comes with gig bag and it does have fingerboard bindings. Here is one. I just saw this guitar at my local GC and they have one left, bound fingerboard and everything as what the pics shows. The one linked to guitar center website priced at $1299 does not have fingerboard bindings.

DSCN1780-1.jpg

This one is actually mine. I was surprised to see that they had finally produced some more of these Specials as I missed them the last time they were available new. The local GC only had one so I had to pull the trigger right away. This is obviously not popular with the majority of the LP community but I always found these to be interesting.

This one is actually mine. I was surprised to see that they had finally produced some more of these Specials as I missed them the last time they were available new. The local GC only had one so I had to pull the trigger right away. This is obviously not popular with the majority of the LP community but I always found these to be interesting.

How are you enjoying the guitar so far? Would you post a youtube?

• 2 months later...

I just brought home one of these from Guitar Center - a walnut finish with a contoured back. My regular guitar is a LP Standard Goldtop 1956 VOS and I was looking at an Epiphone 56 Goldtop as a backup when I made the mistake of picking up this Les Paul Junior Special and I couldn't put it down. I am very impressed with the P90 tone, feel and playability of this guitar. It is lighter than my Goldtop VOS and the tone is very, very similar. In short - this guitar smokes and would be a killer addition to anyones collection.

I just brought home one of these from Guitar Center - a walnut finish with a contoured back. My regular guitar is a LP Standard Goldtop 1956 VOS and I was looking at an Epiphone 56 Goldtop as a backup when I made the mistake of picking up this Les Paul Junior Special and I couldn't put it down. I am very impressed with the P90 tone, feel and playability of this guitar. It is lighter than my Goldtop VOS and the tone is very, very similar. In short - this guitar smokes and would be a killer addition to anyones collection.

I bought one of these a few weeks ago from GC and I agree, it is a fantastic guitar. I was actually there looking to buy a strat when i saw the special. I forgot all about strats after i picked it up and played it.

spec1.jpg

The one on GC's website is the same as the one listed at MF and Music123. They all draw from the same warehouse. The internet version is more expensive, has no binding, and comes with a hard case. The $999 version in Guitar Center stores is bound and has a gloss finish w/gig bag. The in-store version is a much better deal, and truly does exist, as I played one last weekend. Only significant problem with this particular sample: the neck angle put the bridge all the way at the base of it's setting - absolutely no downward adjustment left.

• 1 month later...

Yea really, why no love for the LP Special? I have a 96' and I love it, weights about 9.5 lbs of solid mahagony, no chambering here folks, and she sounds great! I will do a p90 shoot out with my Tribute GT, SG Classic and this bad boy.

p1010095.jpg

By bluesguitar65 at 2009-09-05

did you change the pups yet? they sound GREAT with the p-90's (as opposed to the p-100's) and even the fralins.

The '90s Les Paul Specials came with P-100s?

yup. there was a long stretch in the 90'2 and past where everything came with the p-100's.

i don't have exact numbers or guitars, but there are more p-100's out there than poeple realize.

yup. there was a long stretch in the 90'2 and past where everything came with the p-100's.

i don't have exact numbers or guitars, but there are more p-100's out there than poeple realize.

Yeah,my '91 SG Junior came with a P-100

Oh,other nice thing about the Les Paul Special from Guitar Center is the body is one solid piece of mahogany.

trio-1.jpg

Archived