Gibson Brands Forums

Following Dem00ns thread

davidl

I collect hall of fame rookie football cards. I've spent way to much. I blame growing up in Green Bay and going to Vince Lombardi Jr. High.

My link to 122 of them. Click slide show and make sure you set it to fast, as not to get too bored.

1981JoeMontana.jpg

Edit: Drew Feldhaus is my son playing H.S. Football, who I photo shopped into a 1989 card (not a hall of famer)

Kinda weird but I DON'T collect raccoon stuff yet I have a ton of it. You see, I raised some orphaned raccoon kits when I was a kid and ever since have been getting raccoon stuff for birthday, xmas, etc. [confused]

So, if anyone needs some . . . [thumbup]

Strange how that happens isn't it - When I was in a really bad motorcycle accident (police motor) years ago I was hospitalized for almost two years and somehow people started bringing me stuffed bears. It all started when my wife didn't think I would really like flowers and she found a small bear in a harley jacket that was all wrapped in bandages and had casts on it's legs etc. people saw it and all of a sudden it was a collection and everybody started bringing them. When anyone would bring their kids for a visit I would let them pick one but somehow the collection still grew everything from little plastic bears to very expensive collectable and even artist friends that made handmade ones to bring me.

anyway by the time they finally were gonna let me out I had almost 200 of the darn things. I sorted out about a dozen that were really cool, expensive or meant something to me and the rest me and three nurses loaded on a multi shelf dining cart and off we went through the whole hospital starting with the juvenile wards and then just expanding it took almost a whole day but almost everybody in the dang hospital ended up with a bear that day. there was still about 40 left but the nurses kept them and used them when young kids would get admitted to the orthopedic wards and for months I ended up getting little hand made thank you notes and crayola pictures from the kids with their bears.

Collecting can become a real addiction.

To the original question yep I'm a collector - Also I collect, Zippo Lighters from the 50's and 60's, pocket knives, fountain pens and rock and roll art posters. I also have two collection that started when I was a kid and have almost become a nuisance by the amount and number of items those are Pez Dispensers and Yo-Yo's. The Pez dispensers are mostly in collector boxes other than a few shelfs but I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 450 or 500 different dispensers. the Yo-Yo's are probably in the 200 number and are mostly older wooden Duncan as well as custom made and Tom Kuhn from the 80's and 90's.

My wife used to make fun of the collections until the values rocketed and then they became our collections I remember when I sold a Pez for 5k after that it was our collection.

A couple of years ago I came across a Gumby and Pokey in their original packacking at a garage/yard sale for 5 bucks each. I passed it over and kicked my butt later. They take no space, cost very little and are kinda neat. Maybe even worth something to someone.

Dave

Wow guess I'm sicker than most I showed my wife this and she just laughed and said what about - those disgusting McFarlane figurines that are all over your rooms, antique tools, big money wrist watches, stopwatches, coins, golfballs, old bicycles, basketball cards, and anything really weird or bizarre like your freeze dried parakeets (they really freak her out). and that doesn't count the stuff you use doing ART like all the severed barbie heads in the five gallon water bottle and-and-and.

She has a point - I do all kinds of unusual art sculptures so I collect some strange stuff when I have an idea for a sculpture or piece of art (right now it's old glass prosthetic eyeballs and some cool old dentures. But I sell the finished artwork so I don't consider that collecting...

Guess she should be given a medal or sainthood actually for putting up with me all these years.

Wow. Freeze-dried parakeets.. That's pretty gnarly.

And a five gallon bottle full of severed Barbie heads? Where did you get five gallons of Barbie heads?

I have a lot of individual things but I don't really collect anything in particular. I'm starting to collect guitars and gear though. I have a lot of random stuff I've made.

The freeze dried parakeets are amazingly cool and bizarre I guess crazy old ladies can't stand to lose their pet bird so they freeze dry them and mount them as a method of taxidermy I found five of them at a estate sale and thought they were so cool I had to have them they look just like the parakeet but are flash frozen holled and sealed somehow they are so cool but they creep the wife out.

It's amazing what you find in the right circle of strange art people I was doing the piece and wanted older barbies in bad shape I needed about 20 dollars and I was introduced to a lady her does barbie clothing and restores barbies and it's a full time shop she had all these plastic boxes with barbie heads for sale when a collectable barbie is played with by a younger child it trashes the value and collectibility so when the girl grows older and wants them as a collectable art piece and not a play doll they swap the heads off for new mint ones. another source is because of the deep dark secret shame of barbie collecting is green ears from the pot metal earrings staining the dolls ears and neck green after a few years so again a mint doll with green ears gets a new matching head and walla well they had boxes of older damaged heads that I got basically all I could carry if i would do them a really as they said weird art sign for the shop. so I did a sign that featured a large sardine can with the lid peeled back instead of sardine in was silver mermaid barbie dolls painted silver with mermaid scaled tails paint silver and blue embedded with clear molding compound to fill in as the oil. It fit their taste and the strange vibe for a shot that deals in converting and dismantling barbies.

there is a huge market for artistic barbie conversions and art pieces and the stranger and more gruesome the better. bloody mangled zombie barbies sell easy and fast. and if you can get a strange barbie to start with, like the pregnant barbies from 2002 where the little cuddly fetus is inside barbies tummy and you can open her play with the doll and shove it back in so you can just imagine the twisted **** that doll can be converted into and they don't even blink at a 400 or 500 dollar price.

When it's art people can be very helpful I was trying to score some antique prosthetic eye's for a mannequin sculpture and I was buying them on EBAY the girl asked why I wanted some and didn't really care about color. She spoke to her dad the old retired eye maker and when he found out that I wasn't trying to sell them to other countries for use or that I wasn't doing anything really perverted or twisted he mailed me a small box with probably thirty eyes in it all sizes and shapes and all amazingly cool looking. when I asked what I owed he said nothing when you finish it send me a photo and if you write it up with any supporting literature give me credit for making the eyes if you will.

• 2 weeks later...

I collect old Kodak Cameras. They are so numerous, they aren't worth much, but are cool none-the-less.

It's interesting to see the evolution of films. I get them down to show my nieces, nephews and grandkids and explain how we took pictures back in the olden days. The film format, sizes, were changing, almost constantly. Some of the best photos I've ever taken were with an old box camera, using 620 roll film. Those old wide bodied film cartridges, 126 not the 110, took fantastic photos. They essentially were 35mm film in a handy cartridge.

The 110 cartridge cameras and disk cameras were an absolute abomination. They were an absolute waste of money. The films' size and usual low quality of film material led to grainy 3x5 prints.

The best thing to come down Kodak's pike was APS. I mean negatives that never saw the light, nor dust of day. Sadly, it came on the cusp of digital and died before it got very far off the ground.

There are people who re-fill the old 126 cartridges with standard 35mm film. It takes some doing, but for those die hard point and shoot fans....

I also have a hand full of old silver coins and old pennies. Not worth much, but cool anyway.

Comic books. Mostly from Marvel: Thor, Captain America, Avengers. I've bought them for 20 years now, and have some really old issues, I have Thor from the year/month I was born. I also collected X-men and everything xmen related from 1993 to 2000 but then just got bored by it.

Archived