Gibson Brands Forums

Why are people giving McDonalds so much ****?

dem00n

SOS....easier to blame someone or some company, than to hold one's self accountable, for one's own actions! Especially, if there's a chance to make a lot of money, by suing them.

Don't like McDonalds, or (insert company name)...don't eat there, or buy their goods and/or services!

CB

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you leave bread out on counter for 6 days, it don't turn green, at least in winter.

And by the way, I will be having a double 1/4 pounder with cheese for dinner tonight.... Thank you very much for the idea. msp_thumbup.gif

I can't remember if we did it for one week or two. I'm pretty sure it was just five days. There was a lot of mold on the bun.

SOS....easier to blame someone or some company, than to hold one's self accountable, for one's own actions! Especially, if there's a chance to make a lot of money, by suing them.

Don't like McDonalds, or (insert company name)...don't eat there, or buy their goods and/or services!

CB

...This is assuming that we live in a country with no huge advertising influence. Then yes you would be completely correct.

Where did you read this?

I'd like to know more about it.

Here is a link about fast food meat from Washington Times.

And here is a good link about ammonia treated meat in general.

The way it is explained by McDonalds, it seems harmless enough, but I tend to think of it like HFC's. It probably wont kill you, but probably isnt safe long term either. That and the ammonia treatment was originally to be used primarily for trimmmings, not cuts. The USDA approved it and then exempted it from regular testing. They recently discovered that it isnt killing the amount of E. coli and salmonilla they had originally claimed.

Here is a rsponse from a McDonalds rep I found on a blog.

Thank you for contacting McDonald's and for sharing your concerns. I appreciate the opportunity to share the following information with you.

Please know that McDonald's food safety and quality assurance standards are among the highest in the industry. With extensive food safety measures in place throughout the entire supply chain process, McDonald's standards meet or exceed government requirements. McDonald's uses only 100 percent USDA-inspected ground beef in their hamburger patties.

Be assured that we do not add ammonia to our hamburger patties. In fact, ammonia is only used by our suppliers as a processing aid to kill harmful bacteria. This process is approved by the USDA and ensures safe, quality food.

Additionally, ammonia is a basic building block of protein and occurs naturally in beef, both raw and cooked. It is a key component of the flavor of cooked beef. Ammonia is a naturally occurring compound in meats and fish – (fish and shellfish have more than beef). Ammonia is a nitrogen containing compound and so are proteins.

As you may not know, lean beef trimmings are approved by the USDA and are a widely used and well-established industry practice. They are subject to the same stringent standards, and inspection and testing practices, required for all beef used in the production of our hamburger patties.

McDonald's continues to work with its suppliers, local, state and federal agencies, our industry and others, to ensure these standards are rigorously maintained. And, more importantly, that we serve safe, high quality products to every customer, every time they visit our restaurants.

Again, thank you for taking the time to contact McDonald's.

Lisa

McDonald's Customer Response Center

Here is a link about fast food meat from Washington Times.

And here is a good link about ammonia treated meat in general.

The way it is explained by McDonalds, it seems harmless enough, but I tend to think of it like HFC's. It probably wont kill you, but probably isnt safe long term either. That and the ammonia treatment was originally to be used primarily for trimmmings, not cuts. The USDA approved it and then exempted it from regular testing. They recently discovered that it isnt killing the amount of E. coli and salmonilla they had originally claimed.

Here is a rsponse from a McDonalds rep I found on a blog.

No offense, but blogs are 99.9% BS.

No offense, but blogs are 99.9% BS.

So your statement about McDonald's "treating" their meat with ammonia was a bit of an overstatement?

Hmm...

The only one that was from a blog was the statement from the McDonalds rep. that I quoted. Did you guys read the other ones?

More like "McDonalds" treating their meats with ammonia was the overstatement. Its their supplier/processor. The meat is still treated. And McDonalds chooses to buy it from that supplier. Either way, the process was created for scraps and dog food. Now it is unregulated and either being used for meat cuts or McD's is making burgers out of meat scraps. See, it all comes back around to the urban legend about fast food using pet-grade meat. Remember that one?

I dont know if the process is ultimately bad for you or not, to be truthful. As bad as fast food is for you anyway, it probably doesnt really make much difference.

Whether or not you think it is cause for alarm, people are still giving McDonalds alot of sh!t over it.

It's actually very easy to dry out a McDonalds Hamburger as long as the moisture content is low enough in the rooms air. If you want to speed the process up microwave it for 30 seconds or a minute about 10-15 times letting it sit and cool completely between nuking it or slam it in a dehydrator like they use for fruit and once it's pretty well dried out it's gonna stay looking just exactly like that forever as long as it stays dry.

It's not anything special to do with it being from McDonalds it's just the small burgers that will dry out faster than they start to rot, White Castle burgers are amazingly easy to dry out and they look the same as a fresh one.

Any thin meat will do it pork chops are easy also but they turn dark which is no issue on hamburgers since there already darkened.

It's actually very easy to dry out a McDonalds Hamburger as long as the moisture content is low enough in the rooms air. If you want to speed the process up microwave it for 30 seconds or a minute about 10-15 times letting it sit and cool completely between nuking it or slam it in a dehydrator like they use for fruit and once it's pretty well dried out it's gonna stay looking just exactly like that forever as long as it stays dry.

It's not anything special to do with it being from McDonalds it's just the small burgers that will dry out faster than they start to rot, White Castle burgers are amazingly easy to dry out and they look the same as a fresh one.

Any thin meat will do it pork chops are easy also but they turn dark which is no issue on hamburgers since there already darkened.

Whoa! I wanna know how you know all this!

Now their saying they put laxatives in the food so you can eat it? [lol]

Where do they get this stuff from? I love how they have no prove and everyone believes these blogs and etc.

I swear its seems sometimes people are just blind and attack for no reason.

Its food, i bet the steak you buy at your supermarket has some secrets to.

You see there are people in this world who will believe everything they read on the internet. "After all it's on the internet, it must be true." :unsure: There are even people who take things said about them personal. Like someone really thinks they are a ****** bag, just because it's on the internet.

Truth be told, yes McDonalds does put laxatives in their food. It's called animal fat and cooking oil. But so does any other purveyor of food. It's a glittering or maybe a sensationalized generality. McDonalds puts solidified dihydrogenmonoxide in it's soda too. [scared]

Before I retired and was always eating on the run I ingested that crap daily and weighed 255 lbs. It contributed to my getting diabetes and eventually caused a mild heart attack. My doctor tells me that if we all keep eating the way we have been that 30% of the American population will be diabetic within the next 10 year. When I did retire I began eating only food I prepared myself. Within 6 months I dropped over 40 lbs and had my diabetes under control. I did not do any diet other than simply staying the Hell away from McDonalds. People trash them because they deserve it and, because they are a prime example of corporate irresponsibility. They, like cigarette companies, know they are poisoning us and don't care.

It's no secret that people have had enough of corporations using the profit motive and their so called "duty to their stock holders" as an excuse to perpetrate all sorts of evil acts against society at large. Consumers have become particularly sensitive and offended by corporations that supply products that are so fundamental to our lives like, what we swallow, what we live in, and who manages or steals our money. It seems to me that insulting and denigrating those corporations is not only the least we can do but in the end is the only outlet for a huge majority of people who are rightfully fed up with them. {Pun intended}

On ammoniated meat. If it keeps the food wholesome, what's the problem? Ammonia is highly volatile, i.e. it evaporates quickly. Do yourself a favor. Find a bottle of ammonia under your kitchen sink. Open the lid, now sniff it. [blink] Pretty rank stuff, eh? Now realized the household cleaning ammonia is actually aqueous ammonia, ammonia mixed in water. Ammonia, used to ammoniate the beef, and fertilize corn is a gas that when sniffed is many times more potent than the weak, under the sink, household aqueous ammonia.

Now having firmly stored the smell of weak household 'Ammonia' in your brain, take a sniff of your quarter pounder. [huh]

What? No knock-me-off'n-my-chair ammonia smell? [omg] The bacteria killling ammonia is gone, kaput, nix, nada, pffft, Vay Poh Rized, 'taint there no mo. Just eat your burger and enjoy yourself. That link appears to a page set up by some ambulance chaser looking to drum up business.

Sheesh ](*,)

Urban legend it was, too.

http://www.snopes.co...are/badmeat.asp

People need to be careful about how they write about such things.

Stretching the truth destroys credibility, I think.

I didnt stretch the truth other than implying that it was McDonalds rather than their suppliers. Not much of a stretch, really. However, if you only read the McD rep quote, and not the articles I linked to, then I can see how you might think that.

Here's a good one from the NY Times. I suggest you read all four pages.

On ammoniated meat. If it keeps the food wholesome, what's the problem? Ammonia is highly volatile, i.e. it evaporates quickly. Do yourself a favor. Find a bottle of ammonia under your kitchen sink. Open the lid, now sniff it. [blink] Pretty rank stuff, eh? Now realized the household cleaning ammonia is actually aqueous ammonia, ammonia mixed in water. Ammonia, used to ammoniate the beef, and fertilize corn is a gas that when sniffed is many times more potent than the weak, under the sink, household aqueous ammonia.

Now having firmly stored the smell of weak household 'Ammonia' in your brain, take a sniff of your quarter pounder. [huh]

What? No knock-me-off'n-my-chair ammonia smell? [omg] The bacteria killling ammonia is gone, kaput, nix, nada, pffft, Vay Poh Rized, 'taint there no mo. Just eat your burger and enjoy yourself. That link appears to a page set up by some ambulance chaser looking to drum up business.

Sheesh ](*,)

Nope. Go read my NY Times article. And its not keeping the meat wholesome, which is part of the problem. Another problem was that people were smelling and tasting ammonia in their foods when the treatment was brought to a lethality level. BPI then lowered the level and now the food is consistantly testing positive for E. coli and salmonilla.

Typical ammonia in untreated meat is 6 ppm. BPI was treating it up to 10 ppm, averaging about 7.75 ppm. I know it sounds small, but at 10 ppm, people were smelling and tasting the ammonia.

Personally, I dont care. I can choose not to eat it. I was originally just making quick quip to give dem00n another example of why people are giving McDonalds so much grief. And they are. Is it for a good reason? Maybe. You decide.

I got my own reasons for not wanting to patronize McDonalds. To me, their food has, in the last 5 years or so, become bland. Their Angus burgers were great, but a bit pricey. However, after the first month they quit puting the spice on. Now it's just a big, greasy, expensive burger with mushrooms. They also seem to be slower to serve. That and 50% of the time they screw up my order. The slowness seemed to begin when they went to the get-their-cash-then-queue-them-up procedure. Their error rate has been a problem for a bit longer. Their error rate got significantly worse after they implemented the aforementioned get-their-cash-then-queue-them-up procedure.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to McDonalds once, ordered the soup de jour, shrimp scampy, porterhouse steak, potatoes augratian, fresh asperagus with the wine reduction sauce, and two bottles of their finest merlot. They gave me stale fries and a ckicken sanwich made from byproducts..[cursing]

But since this a serious thread, WHY DON'T THEIR HAPPY MEALS MAKE ME HAPPY???[drool][blink][scared]

IF you don't like it don't eat it, don't give them your money, and of course, don't give them free publicity by making such statements. Some people might find it desireable to have a hamburger they can leave in their car and forget about it for a month and then come back and eat it when they feel like it. [biggrin]

Anyway, if you don't like it, don't buy it. Like Neo always says (and I've started doing just that) VOTE WITH YOUR WALLET. [thumbup]

When McDonalds stops advertising to children then I'll leave them alone. Could really care less that the crap they sell isn't food; I just don't eat there. But advertising to young minds that have not matured enough to comprehend abstract thought? Very unethical. That clown and his friends should be forced to drink sewer water.

Archived