Gibson Brands Forums

I'm soo sorry.......

swleary

I certainly knew "Monkey" and I'll usually be a real smart *** and use it as my answer when someone asks me what my favorite Beatles song is.

I have to admit, you got me on the Bullfrog song though. I'm not sure I've ever heard that before.

I take it Yellow Submarine was not in your vinyl of the day?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a Beatles song that sounds like it was performed by a junior high school garage band [thumbdn]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blRIIBhlapA

Cmon duane you know that was just a one off of a tune they pulled out from their skiffle Quarrymen days. It was recorded during the Get Back sessions and was pulled from hundreds of hours of tape by Spector and stuck on the album to give it a live impromptu feel.

I was never originally done for a proper album.

Most musicians that were addicted heroin (which was about 70% of musicians in the 60's & 70's) knew that song.

That was a very popular song.

When you got to a high school, and then college, very few people I talk to are heroin addicted musicians from the 60s and 70s. My point remains [glare]

Not many people know of that song...

Thanks for the correction though

Cmon duane you know that was just a one off of a tune they pulled out from their skiffle Quarrymen days. It was recorded during the Get Back sessions and was pulled from hundreds of hours of tape by Spector and stuck on the album to give it a live impromptu feel.

I was never originally done for a proper album.

I agree, but that still doesn't change the fact that song is el terrible [biggrin] ..... And C'mon Phil Spector could give a hoot about the "live impromptu feel." Looked how he (Spector) ruined songs like Let It Be and Across The Universe with his big production techniques [thumbdn]

I agree, but that still doesn't change the fact that song is el terrible [biggrin] ..... And C'mon Phil Spector could give a hoot about the "live impromptu feel." Looked how he (Spector) ruined songs like Let It Be and Across The Universe with his big production techniques [thumbdn]

A plus for that.

Seems that a citation is needed.

(Even if I knew a lot of folks who had that problem, it didn't seem anywhere near 70%...)

A ton of Sunset Strip bands in the 80's were pumping cheeva into their veins on a regular bases. You would be shocked how high the percentage was / is

I'm not gonna argue the point it is what it is and that was the intent. rolleyes.gif

Riverside - You are correct... Yellow Submarine was the only Beatles album I didn't have.

I get caught with me not knowing otherwise well known songs, (not necessarily Beatles), that came any time between 1974-1984. I lived in Jamaica from 74-80 and there was no American music at all on radio there. My influences are mostly country, having grown up in Ky and had a father who used to advertise on country music stations. That was what we played in our house. When I came back to the States from Jamaica, I had lost track of where rock & roll had gone. I think Loggins & Messina was about the only popular group I was aware of. (Still one of my favorites) At that point, I reverted to my country roots and started buying country stuff again.

Fast forward to about 2000... Via the internet I met some guys who started getting together to play, eat pizza, drink been, make our rock & roll faces, and I started to discover a ton of songs I had never heard of. I would discover some album, tell everyone how cool it was and be the butt of their jokes, at least briefly, sheltered adulthood jokes and all that. Another group I met later included L5Larry that some of you will know from this forum. Annual get togethers with Larry and his friends were a revelation to me as I started seeing so much new music... Consider, at 2000, I had heard of The Band and The Grateful Dead, but I could never have named one song they did.

So regardless that Yellow submarine predated my move, I'm not the slightest bit surprised to hear there was something else I missed.

But I do know all the words to the song Get Your Tongue Out Of My Mouth, I'm Kissing You Goodbye.

I almost feel guilty to admit this.

Basically I only have "gotten into" stuff that either interested me technically - which could come from about anywhere - or stuff I was likely at various times to play for money when and where I was living.

When the Beatles became "in," I was a folkie. Later, the 60s rock bands I played in weren't interested in doing "covers" of nice boys in Beatle suits and boots. We did more of the raw stuff. After that era I was in circumstances where playing country in area saloons worked better to feed my guitar habit, so that's what I did - and mostly the songs that were considered "standards" for the area.

So... I don't care that much one way or the other for the Beatles. Good stuff, a lot of it, though. But I find it interesting that they ain't there now and the Stones are... and IMHO with less talent at composition but more raw guts to their music.

As for the drug thing... I saw just enough my last year in high school to scare me off just about anything but aspirin or antibiotics. One rock bunch I was with started into the drug thing which is, in ways, a subculture of its own, and "we" went from having a good personality fit to no personality fit at all. The country bands tended just to drink too much which was enough to make me not drink much at all.

m

I think there are some artists that have been loved, hyped, and played so much that we think we are 'supposed' to like them. I appreciate the Beatles, and I appreciate Motzart, but you wont find either in my CD player. Of course, I happily crank up music that some of my friends shake their head at. It's all good. That's why Baskin-Robbins makes 31 flavors. [tongue]

Personally, I don't think anyone really sucks if they have a following and become famous for playing music. They just might not be to my taste and as most of us probably realize, that's primarily a generational thing. Now, I'm pretty much just an old strummer with a voice that is deteriorating fromlack of use... I suck! [crying]

Well, enjoy (or enjoy bashing), whatever band you want.

The way things are going, there won't be the need for

musicians, or bands....just a good computer...or maybe

just access to one. "Concerts" could become nothing

more, than recorded music, holograms, and light shows,

with no humans (save the "audience") at all??? We've

sewn the seeds, to our own ultimate obsolescence.

People already stay home, watch the (Huge) Flat Screen,

with Hi Def Surround sound, rather than go out, fight

the traffic, parking queues, and astronomical ticket

prices, all too often, anymore. "We" spend too much time,

on the computer which we're all (to varying degrees)

guilty of. We have the attention span, never mind patience,

of a gnat!

So, I'm going to enjoy every minute, of all the bands, past,

present, and (hopefully) future...and the music they have and

will produce, for as long as it lasts!

;>)

CB

Charlie Brown...

I agree with everything you say except...

I still think that there's an increasing potential role for local bands to play in local areas. Anti-smoking laws probably have helped to damage that since more smokers are staying home and doing as you say - but if there's a degree of excitement about "there's live music down at the corner saloon," I still think people will come.

But it's gotta be entertaining...

m

Archived