Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone SG Help

Shabbar3

Hey guys i just recently joined this forum. I own a red Epiphone SG G400 solid body electric, and I think one of the pickups is not responding or something. I can play rythamatic and when i switch to lead, there is no sound.. i mean there is but its like very hollow if that makes sense. Should i just hit up Epiphone and ask for a new one, because i went to a local guitar shop..who said that the "fixed" it and it was but went wron again.

Help!!

Hmmmmmm.... Many things can cause your "no Sound" problem. But, before going

into it, more info would be helpful.

Did you purchase NEW or USED?

The Git Shop you took it to, Are you able to go BACK and tell them (politely)

that whatever they did, didn't fix problem? I assume the Git Shop backs up it's

work? Perhaps they will repair correctly at no expense?

BTW, WELCOME to the FORUM!!!!!!!

welcome to the forum! I agree with Animalfarm, a little more information would really help to pin point the problem. There are so many reasons why it might not work properly. But, you just try spraying a little contact cleaner on to the selector switch and volume and tone controls and see if that solves the problem.

most likely a bad ground. or solder joint could also be the cheapo toggle they use if thats it change to a gibson one

had the same problem with a wild kat. took it right back. got a used one went home with a hundred bucks in my pocket and a better guitar.

i love epiphone guitars i have more epis than anything else. but there quality control sucks. there new wiring sucks too. ive rewired every one i own. and they all sound great now.

most likely a bad ground. or solder joint could also be the cheapo toggle they use if thats it change to a gibson one

had the same problem with a wild kat. took it right back. got a used one went home with a hundred bucks in my pocket and a better guitar.

i love epiphone guitars i have more epis than anything else. but there quality control sucks. there new wiring sucks too. ive rewired every one i own. and they all sound great now.

So everyone is suggesting that i should go back to the local guitar shop and get it fixed right.. I just dont this to keep repeating, i mean i dont know if my guitar is under warranty, if so should i contact Gibson or Epiphone

welcome to the forum! I agree with Animalfarm, a little more information would really help to pin point the problem. There are so many reasons why it might not work properly. But, you just try spraying a little contact cleaner on to the selector switch and volume and tone controls and see if that solves the problem.

Thanks i feel pretty welcomed to this Forum. So what your saying is that i should use the cleaner,you mean that sprays liquid..isnt that bad?!?! unless im missing something

Probably a dirty switch or a bad switch.

Some contact cleaner can help. You can get it at an electronic store like Radio Shack. Squirt it into the switch and then move the toggle back and forth to spread it around and flush any dirt away.

Otherwise, the switch may be bad. Replace it with a better one, like a Switchcraft. Epiphone switches are notorious for going bad early. I think the warranty only covers electronics for a year.

Thanks i feel pretty welcomed to this Forum. So what your saying is that i should use the cleaner,you mean that sprays liquid..isnt that bad?!?! unless im missing something

you can buy contact cleaner spray, it is designed to clean electrical contacts in switches and other electrical components. It would be worth giving it a try first. if it doesn't fix any thing then you can start to think about checking the wiring or replacing switches and volume/tone controls. or as some have suggested you could perhaps take it back to the guitar store that did the last repair and ask them replace the faulty component.

So everyone is suggesting that i should go back to the local guitar shop and get it fixed right..

I just dont this to keep repeating, i mean i dont know if my guitar is under warranty,

if so should i contact Gibson or Epiphone

That was the entire reason I asked if you bought NEW or USED! [biggrin]

If NEW,it IS under warranty UNLESS an "outside party/Guitar Shop" did any

resoldering/mods to the git. Cleaning something most likely falls outside

of that area. But, you haven't stated what was done to git yet.

The Normal process if NEW, but defective, is to contact Vendor, explain problem,

then return Git for a replacement. Yes, you'll have to pay the shipping.

If USED, no warranty as you are not original owner.

Regarding your description of problem - Please don't be afraid to provide

"too much" information. "WE" (Forum Zombies) would rather have too much info

than not enough. Your original post sure leaves a lot of questions unanswered.

Be as SPECIFIC/DESCRIPTIVE as you can.

All I can tell from OP is:

1. When i switch to lead, there is no sound.. i mean there is but its like very hollow

if that makes sense.

2. I went to a local guitar shop..who said that they "fixed" it and it was but went wrong again.

3. Should i just hit up Epiphone and ask for a new one?

Not giving you a "hard time". MANY Members here who can help if given enough info.

We will help you as much as we can, believe me!

I've seen it happen on other Git Forums - Someone will post a very BRIEF "Guitar Problem"

comment, then MANY other members will post reponses about what THEY think problem is. Goes

from one end of the spectrum to the other. Ends up making the thread essentially unuseable.

Just my worthless opinion! [biggrin]

can you give a better description of sounding "hollow" ?

Ok its basically like this. I can play when the switch is on Lead and the sound would be normal, meaning everything seems connnected and all is well. And when i switch is to the center which is think is for both Bridge and Neck its still good, just the tone difference, which is supposed to happen. And when i take it to Rythmatic, there is no outpu. I mean there is but its like somethin is not connected or loose in that position.. I dont know if that helps, im trying my best to describe the situation

The most likely culprit is the switch as others have suggested above. But, it could be the wiring or a defective pickup.

If your guitar is under warranty, the dealer is obliged to fix it for you for free (unless the guit shows some evidence of abuse).

If your guitar is not under a warranty, then you have two choices:

A. Pay to have it repaired.

B. Repair it yourself. This might include (in order of precedence) opening the rear cover and seeing if any wires are disconnected, spraying contact cleaner into the switch, testing the wiring & pickup with an ohm meter, replacing the switch, replacing the pickup (if defective), and lastly, rewiring the entire guitar with new pots, switch, wire, pickups and hardware far beyond any obvious rationale and costing far more than the entire instrument did new.

Just kidding about the last bit, but there are some people on this forum who do the craziest things...

[rolleyes]

Also check if nay of the pots are bit loose.

When I got my LP Chameleon I had similar issues, the vol pot was a bit loose and was just touching on the sheilding paint inside the cavity. Interesting I didnt notice it when in middle position.

There Cavity carving is pretty rough and crappy have a quick look in there

if the pickup works in the middle position but not in the bridge position its the switch. go to the guitar shop buy a gibson switch solder it in problem solved there about 10 bucks or so unless its gold plated. half an hour to put it in and youll never have trouble again.or bring it back to where you bought it its a get in line and wait for authorisation service you may not see you r guitar for weeks. personally ive done this many times its a no brainer and as easy as it gets repair.

if the pickup works in the middle position but not in the bridge position its the switch. go to the guitar shop buy a gibson switch solder it in problem solved there about 10 bucks or so unless its gold plated. half an hour to put it in and youll never have trouble again.or bring it back to where you bought it its a get in line and wait for authorisation service you may not see you r guitar for weeks. personally ive done this many times its a no brainer and as easy as it gets repair.

Ok its basically like this. I can play when the switch is on Lead and the sound would be normal, meaning everything seems connnected and all is well. And when i switch is to the center which is think is for both Bridge and Neck its still good, just the tone difference, which is supposed to happen. And when i take it to Rythmatic, there is no outpu. I mean there is but its like somethin is not connected or loose in that position.. I dont know if that helps, im trying my best to describe the situation

Like branh said: "The most likely culprit is the switch as others have suggested above. But, it could be the wiring or a defective pickup"

I just upgraded the innards (not the pickups) in my G-400 and all was well and then I had the same thing happen that you described, so I popped open the back cover and discovered I need to do a better soldering job. All is well now.

Like branh said: "The most likely culprit is the switch as others have suggested above. But, it could be the wiring or a defective pickup"

I just upgraded the innards (not the pickups) in my G-400 and all was well and then I had the same thing happen that you described, so I popped open the back cover and discovered I need to do a better soldering job. All is well now.

I just bought the contact cleaner and it is working fine..i dont know if it is like a temp fix or permanent..but if this problem should come back.im just going to get the gibson switch..Thanks for all the support guys i appreciate it

• 9 months later...

Hey guys i just recently joined this forum. I own a red Epiphone SG G400 solid body electric, and I think one of the pickups is not responding or something. I can play rythamatic and when i switch to lead, there is no sound.. i mean there is but its like very hollow if that makes sense. Should i just hit up Epiphone and ask for a new one, because i went to a local guitar shop..who said that the "fixed" it and it was but went wron again.

Help!!

Hey, I have the same problem with my SG G-400. although i read the other posts, i ws wondering did u get yours fixed? cause when i brought my guitar back from the shop the first time it wasnt working, ( it wouldnt even make sound through the amp,) this problem happened. what did u end up doing? Thanks

It is VERY important to plug it into the amp !!!!! Else there will be NO SOUND !!!!!!!!! [flapper] :unsure: [crying] :blink: ........

Just kidding........Welcome to the forum.............Damian.......

Archived