Gibson Brands Forums

It's Finally Here!

58EpiFan

Well, I finally got my guitar package! [thumbup] Mine came in all black (ebony). It came with a little 10-watt amp and a pitch pipe (?) for tuning. Sorry no pics yet. I’ve been a little under the weather. I am going to have my gall bladder out next Friday. :mellow: Anyway, the guitar is pretty nice. I had been to GC to try some out while I was waiting for mine to arrive and I also tried some Epi LP Standards. The Special II feels almost toy-like compared to the real deal. But for free, I am not going to complain too much.

I am now looking for suggestions for an amp. I had tried to get a used VOX Pathfinder 15 amp, but it was already sold when I went to look at it. I really don't want to buy one without trying it. I tried out a VOX AC4TV and a VOX VT30. I liked the AC4TV for it’s clear tones and the VT30 for its voicings and effects. They also had the Orange Crush 20-watt amps, but I didn't try that one out. I guess my price range is $150-250. I just need something to play at bedroom/practice room levels.

Thanks,

Jim

Well, I finally got my guitar package! [thumbup] Mine came in all black (ebony). It came with a little 10-watt amp and a pitch pipe (?) for tuning. Sorry no pics yet. I’ve been a little under the weather. I am going to have my gall bladder out next Friday. :mellow: Anyway, the guitar is pretty nice. I had been to GC to try some out while I was waiting for mine to arrive and I also tried some Epi LP Standards. The Special II feels almost toy-like compared to the real deal. But for free, I am not going to complain too much.

I am now looking for suggestions for an amp. I had tried to get a used VOX Pathfinder 15 amp, but it was already sold when I went to look at it. I really don't want to buy one without trying it. I tried out a VOX AC4TV and a VOX VT30. I liked the AC4TV for it’s clear tones and the VT30 for its voicings and effects. They also had the Orange Crush 20-watt amps, but I didn't try that one out. I guess my price range is $150-250. I just need something to play at bedroom/practice room levels.

Thanks,

Jim

Hi there Jim congrats on your new Epi.

there are some wonderful sounding amps in your price range.

you may want to try a fender vibro champ. if you don't mid solid state amps

the Roland Cube 30 is one of my favorites.

enjoy the new guitar

roy

HOORAY! [biggrin][biggrin][biggrin] About Time! A PITCH PIPE???

Good Gawd.

Get that Special II SET-UP properly, and I think you'll find it

to be Most Acceptable while you get your chops up to speed. The

one I did as project I ALMOST kept as a "Beater" git, had it set up just

like I like it.

First thing to do is sit down with proper sized screwdriver(s) and check

that all screws are snug, then change the strings (they come with .046 - .010,

considered "Mediums". Your choice to stay same or go lighter. I've used "lights"

.042 -.009 for the last 30 years, but I like to BEND 'em!!!

THEN, get it set up!!!! I personally like ACTION at 5/64ths LOW E, 4/64ths HI E,

but will sometimes go slightly lower.

PICS, PICS, PICS! Yes, I read about your upcoming surgery, and I hope it goes well

for you - My own G/F just had Kidney removed, so I am familiar with the PRE and POST

OP experiences (only as caregiver, though).

Regarding the EPI Amp that came with package, it'll make noise. Clean is OK, and the

"Distortion Mode" CAN be tweaked by lowering/Raising the "GAIN" control.

Remember to keep ALL original Boxes!!! That way, If you decide to, you can "Craigslist"

or "Word of Mouth" SELL the Amp to partially fund the one you really want.

EPI Amp in ORIGINAL Packaging WITH ORIGINAL Papers, "Value Added" perception to buyer!!!!

OOOOOOO, What YEAR is your Git???? If all numbers on Serial #, the first four should tell you

the YEAR (first 2) and the Month (second 2) of manufacture. IF letters and Numbers, better

ask us - Someone will be able to help ID entire number.

Again, Congrats!!!!!! HAPPY NEW "Free from catalog, complments of Work" GUITAR DAY!!!!!!

634105067164057840-Muppets.jpg

you should check out ebay theres alot of good practice amps at reasonable prices there. i was just over there and theres a cambridge twin in your range i had one nice amp. theres also fenders and all kinds of others in your range that are better than what you were considering. too cheap and youll get a cheap sound.

HNGD, hope you have a blast with it, sorry to hear about your impending surgery, good luck with that too.

If you're after a practice amp, Fender have a range called G-DEC, they have inbuilt backing tracks and rhythm machine, great to jam along to and brilliant for beginners. A bit dearer but in the same vein, Line 6 have one called the Spider Jam.

Thanks,

Jim

HNGD [biggrin]

I have the Vox VT30. It's a terrific value. Lot's of tones and fun to use. You can get good clean tones all the way to heavy distortion. If you get it, get the foot switch too so you can change setting easily. If you're near a Guitar Center I think they have a 10% coupon on their site you can print. They'll let you sit down and play whatever amp you want to try.

Since it's Saturday, I guess you had your surgery and here's hoping you feel better. Hopefully, the doctors won't keep you too long and you'll be back to playing your new guitar in no time.

I'll add another vote for the Vox amps, but I also love my Fender Pro Junior. It's a little more money, but if you try one, you might feel it's worth it.

ive had a bunch of vox amps over the years even a royal guardsman. currently an ac30. the best vox amp i ever had was an ad120 vt valvetronics. that amp did it all. paid 400 for it . its a bit higher than what you want to spend but......... it would be worthit because youll never need anything else. no pedals nothing its all built in.

i also have a 74 fender twin reverb. again 400 bucks sweet amp in perfect condition. had it since 93 never a problem.

Hi all! Thanks for all the responses and advice. I had my surgery yesterday (Oct 29) as outpatient. My surgery was at 7:30 AM and I was back home by Noon! I am recovering well, but am sore and kind of "out of it" from the pain meds and general anesthesia.

I have not even seen my guitar since I last posted. It's in a another level of my house and I have been having a hard time on the stairs with some balance issues. I have even stumbled down the stairs a couple of times, so now I will have to wait until I have healed somewhat. I have four small incisions on my stomach and one in my belly button of all places.

Sorry this is so short, but I will post more soon and hopefully will have some pictures up soon as well.

Thanks again,

Jim

Thanks RaSTuS and DennisMiller!

I appreciate the support.

Jim

Ha! Sounds like a Bartell's and James commercial... [biggrin]

With your surgery and what you've said has happened with the

balance issues and "throwing yourself" down the stairs ( [thumbup] ),

I DO believe the Healing Process must be given a chance to work.

No running, jumping, bending, lifting, etc. At this time your job is

to sit in an easy chair with TV Remote or Book in hand.

Do you have a "Visiting Day" at your Home? Perhaps someone could bring

your guitar to "Visit". [flapper]

Get Better, Jeeeeem! Post real, live , in 'Da House pics whenever health and

time permit.

Welcome back... ALIVE! Both you and "Mrs. 58".

Archived