Gibson Brands Forums

The gift of music

McDuff

So christmas is coming up. Or rather halloween is coming up which in my world means christmas is coming up (partially from the love of it and partially because those of us with large families need quite a bit of prep time) and I was wondering if it appears cheap or corny to learn and play a song for a specific person and play it for them as a present. What are the general thoughts about this? Is it going to make the person just look like a show off? A cheap bastard? or can it be viewed as a genuine present?

I would say that you know the person best.....what do you think?

If it is for your Mom or Wife and you print the words and frame them...then sing and play the song to them...it might be the ultimate gift ....for a 14 year old teenage boy (or Danner) then probably not. [flapper]

I would say that it would also add to the "spirit of giving" to give them a recording of the song. Not only does it give you something to wrap up and hand them, as with all recorded music, it will make the song "live for ever".

I was wondering if it appears cheap or corny to learn and play a song for a specific person and play it for them as a present.

Taught the kids early about giving "gifts of words" to celebrate someone's birthday. When they were really little, they had to say 'em. Now, they write 'em. They learned that expressing love and gratitude to someone IS a gift, and they grew up learning how to do it genuinely.

So this summer, when my 17-yr-old spent hours practicing a Fogerty song (not her style, believe you me!) so she could sing it as a gift to someone she loves, trust me, it was worth more to both the giver and the recipient than any object would have been.

If it's really the thought that counts and if you intend it to be a gift--well, there you have it.

Be brave and show the people how it's done. [thumbup]

Taught the kids early about giving "gifts of words" to celebrate someone's birthday. When they were really little, they had to say 'em. Now, they write 'em. They learned that expressing love and gratitude to someone IS a gift, and they grew up learning how to do it genuinely.

So this summer, when my 17-yr-old spent hours practicing a Fogerty song (not her style, believe you me!) so she could sing it as a gift to someone she loves, trust me, it was worth more to both the giver and the recipient than any object would have been.

If it's really the thought that counts and if you intend it to be a gift--well, there you have it.

Be brave and show the people how it's done. [thumbup]

We were having a surprise birthday party for my 85 year old mother in law. The theme and general understanding was that mom had everything so all gifts were to be hand made. Brother in law is a mechanic and he welded engine parts in his shop and created a cool looking statue that reminded every one of the god Mercury. Another bro gave her one of those electronic picture frames with thousands of priceless family photos. Every one contributed something. Her name is Mary Ellen and she is often referred to as Mary E. I had just recently heard the old Ricky Nelson song "Hello Mary Lou" and was playing it in my weekly bluegrass jams. All it took was a few word changes to make the song "Hello Mary E". I used Audacity to make a 3 track recording. One track was rhythm and vocals, one was wife vocals and then a lead guitar break. I used a Blueridge parlor guitar for the rhythm and my trusty J45 for the lead. I converted this to an MP3 and emailed it to everyone on the guest list along with the lyrics. I also informed everyone that they were all on the hook to sing the chorus. This also laid the foundation for a great evening before the party for all my wife's sibs that were staying in the country house. We had a ball rehearsing. When Mary Ellen came into the room for the gift giving ceremony, all 30 of us sang "Hello Mary E". I played my J45 and my bro in law played my Blueridge parlor. Mary Ellen was so overwhelmed that she cried like a baby. It was a huge hit and I got a lot of kudos for the idea. My other party gift was a barbecued wild turkey that I shot on bro's property that morning.

It's a great idea.

Christmas has become all about material possessions for so many people, and it really should not be. People feel pressurised into spending money they just don't have on material presents that often don't get used or are not really wanted, and certainly not needed.

Go ahead and learn songs and 'give' them as presents. If you can write songs that would be great too.

Giving a song as a present would only seem lame to materialistic individuals.

If the recipients don't get it maybe they don't deserve you.

It depends - It's up to your fingerspitzzgefühl and nothing but that. Could be a major hit or the blooop of the year ! A few weeks ago I performed the Simon and Garfunkels Celia with a funny personal lyric for my old buddy Eddies round birthday (whom I wrote about in the 'Any Horrific Tales' thread). Lots of people in the party tent - the applause came on us like a bronze-coloured tide wave.

Archived