Gibson Brands Forums

Fender's revolution :)

Silenced Fred

When you start playing live, you'll try to avoid changing guitars. Plus unless you have a dedicated guitar tech watching your stuff, it can be scary bringing too many guitars, because there are sticky finger a-holes looking for an opportunity to rip you off.

Oh yeah I know. But for recordings and different stuff, yeah.

I think that the Riviera Custom would fit me well. P90s and a bigsby? I can do a lot of stuff with that

The strings are too close to the body on all Fenders. No one seems to ever know what I'm talking about.

I don't know what it is about the fender neck [confused] ... But the middle pickup has always bothered me as well from a picking standpoint too. Also the pickup buzz is friggin annoying.

The tail piece seems to be a flaw in the Jazzmaster design. There is not enough downward tension on the strings to keep them from falling out of the nut. I was really close to buying a Japanese made purple Dinosaur Jr. model, but had the same issue with the bridge. I'm not real crazy about the blacktop guitars that Ive seen, but a well built unit could have some potential with a few upgrades. I'm not crazy about humbuckers on Fenders, either.

The tail piece seems to be a flaw in the Jazzmaster design. There is not enough downward tension on the strings to keep them from falling out of the nut. I was really close to buying a Japanese made purple Dinosaur Jr. model, but had the same issue with the bridge. I'm not real crazy about the blacktop guitars that Ive seen, but a well built unit could have some potential with a few upgrades. I'm not crazy about humbuckers on Fenders, either.

Eh, it depends. I hate Fender made humbuckers, but in some instances, humbuckers can work decently, I like em in the neck position on a Tele.

I have no problem with members talking about "F" guitars or any other guitar in the forum. My previous post was merely saying that the information provided may be useful for Jazz Master guitar owners on the F forum as well. No offense was intended. :)

I'm with Duane in that I've never cared for, nor felt comfortable with a "F" style neck.

That's a playability issue aside from anything else. For what it's worth, I've never played a Martin neck I've cared for either - and they're very fine instruments.

I played in a country band with a guy who could play the heck out of a JM. Flatpick and fingerpicks on middle and ring fingers and the master volume dial allowed him to sound nearly as "pedal steel" as a pedal steel. For him, it was the best possible guitar. For me? Never was comfortable playing anything on it.

m

I think this model looks cool on paper. I'd like to check one out in real life.

I know what you guys are saying about Fender. Since I've always played my SG I was a little shocked when I got my Tele. The fretboard radius, scale length, and no backward angle of the neck (among other things) took me a while to get used to. But I'm totally used to it now and I think it's a great playing and sounding instrument. I've gained some respect for Fender.

I bet that MIJ RI is sweet.

When you start playing live, you'll try to avoid changing guitars. Plus unless you have a dedicated guitar tech watching your stuff, it can be scary bringing too many guitars, because there are sticky finger a-holes looking for an opportunity to rip you off.

I Love changing guitars Live. Maybe it's because I spent the first 15 years of playing with one guitar and one amp, but I love switching between a few guitars during the night. I try to keep it down to Three (Nighthawk, Strat, and an Eflat guitar), but last night I brought five. a V for my costume and Our drummer dressed up as George Clooney in "Oh Brother where Art Tho", so I needed an Acoustic for "Man of Constant Sorrow".

However, when we play a new place (or an Unsavory place) I'll bring Two just to keep things quick and portable.

Exactly, you might as well buy a real JM!

I don't see how a blacktop isn't a "real" Jazzmaster. Its made by Fender. Its a Jazzmaster. Throw a new pickgaurd and a couple of P90s in it, a little hardware, and some new pots/caps, you could have a pretty sweet guitar on the cheap.

I don't see how a blacktop isn't a "real" Jazzmaster. Its made by Fender. Its a Jazzmaster. Throw a new pickgaurd and a couple of P90s in it, a little hardware, and some new pots/caps, you could have a pretty sweet guitar on the cheap.

I just don't like the Duncan Designed pickups in general, but it isn't bad. I prefer the original jazzmaster pickups. If I was to do all of the upgrades you listed, you could get a Classic Player for cheaper. Just sayin'

I think its a good model and it has usefulness. For me, I want the standard model. That's it

I just don't like the Duncan Designed pickups in general, but it isn't bad. I prefer the original jazzmaster pickups. If I was to do all of the upgrades you listed, you could get a Classic Player for cheaper. Just sayin'

I think its a good model and it has usefulness. For me, I want the standard model. That's it

What aboot the hollowbody? And the strat? the SG? The Orange amp? [flapper]

Archived