Gibson Brands Forums

The Death of a Blue Jay

Californiaman

So I'm painting the trim in the house and open up the back door to do some detail work.

I'm cruising along getting it done when all of a sudden I hear panicked, pain-filled screeches about 30 feet away under the apricot tree.

A small falcon or other raptor-like hawk has this blue jay pinned to the ground and is digging in with it's talons.

It's pinning with one and ripping with the other. The blue jay isn't going anywhere. Powerless to even struggle it's over in about 20 seconds.

The falcon lowered it's beak into it's prey and tore out the blue jay's throat.

I managed to get a couple of pictures off before the falcon flew off to enjoy it's meal.

Snapshot2010-11-1011-07-27.jpg

Snapshot2010-11-1011-06-38.jpg

So I'm painting the trim in the house and open up the back door to do some detail work.

I'm cruising along getting it done when all of a sudden I hear panicked, pain-filled screeches about 30 feet away under the apricot tree.

A small falcon or other raptor-like hawk has this blue jay pinned to the ground and is digging in with it's talons.

It's pinning with one and ripping with the other. The blue jay isn't going anywhere. Powerless to even struggle it's over in about 20 seconds.

I managed to get a couple of pictures off before the falcon flew off to enjoy it's meal.

Pretty brutal isn't it.

We have 4 Coopers hawks that hang around our place all summer. There is always some kind of carnage under one tree or another.

At least they kill their prey before tearing it apart.

It is surprising how often they miss their target though.

If they are near water they will sometimes drown their dinner before strapping on the feedbag.

Dave

There's an eerie quality to animals that kill their prey with no sign of aggression, completely oblivious to their new meals suffering. You expect to see lions, alligators, etc, violently killing their prey, but the birds, frogs, etc, just do it almost matter of factly.

What was that old Time-Life video ad from TV?

"Why do you think they call 'em animals . . . ?"

[scared]

Blue Jay ain't no slouch either.

My grandmother always hated 'em because they bullied all the other birds.

Closely related to the Road Runner here in Arizona, a bird that takes no sh!t from no one.

Blue Jay ain't no slouch either.

My grandmother always hated 'em because they bullied all the other birds.

Closely related to the Road Runner here in Arizona, a bird that takes no sh!t from no one.

Smarter and braver than most birds. I've seen them fly right up to a seed bag—one that I thought was clearly out of sight of all birds—and peck at it until they've opened it.

We had two hanging around here most of the summer.

Now I guess we only have one. [crying]

I have a friend that feeds Jays in the winter and gathers upwards of 20 at a time.

Thats a lot of blue.

They are aggressive towards other birds but are no match for the family cat.

They even put a bell on the collar of the cat to alert the birds but that cat is stealth.

Dave

Yep.

A healthy adult cat that hasn't been coddled beyond his instincts is an impressive predator.

My opinion is that they make the worst f-ing pets in the world, but they are fascinating animals.

If I lived a bit more rural (without nearby homes) I would keep a few around and let 'em do their thing - outside only.

Coyotes get 'em here, so they have to have some shelter to escape them or it's game over.

Stray cats are rare outside the city, if you see one running around in the desert he's learned well to survive.

All living things exist at the expense of other living things.

Saw this off my porch last month and it stayed still long enough to let me take a picture. As far as I know, it is still alive, lives close by and has stayed out of reach of my cat!

Hbird2.jpg

Blue jays can be a real nuisance in our neighborhood. I think it was Darwinian what happened.

Yep.

A healthy adult cat that hasn't been coddled beyond his instincts is an impressive predator.

If I lived a bit more rural (without nearby homes) I would keep a few around and let 'em do their thing - outside only.

We keep cat food out at work. They keep the rats away, but the cats multiply so fast.. One in a while, we'll catch a bunch and local farmers will take them.

Birds appear to be going about their business 'quite matter of factly' because they do not show facial expression we, as mammals can recognize. Birds don't have a mouth or teeth to sneer, or eyebrows to glare. They just ... are. Make no mistake about it it is a gruesome business they are in just to survive. There is plenty of adrenalin pumping and blood lust to get the job done.

Actually a bolt to the head is more humane than what the rest of our fellow mammals would do to take a steer down. Most wolves and lions consider killing optional before consuming their prey. [scared]

Archived