Gibson Brands Forums

Our "Cheap" Guitars, and Why We Love Them

damian

Guitarist - how long have you been playing the Schecter? Ive tried a couple over the years that Ive gotten in trades or just purchased really cheap but I have never kept them very long they always look kinda cool and the price is right but I just can't seem to bond with any of them so I end up selling or trading them usually pretty fast.

Got my 1st cheapie for my 11th b-day....Norma "Hummingbird"........at 13 I traded it for substances to abuse.

Next was my '68 Univox "Deluxe Rosewood Thinline" (Coily)($150) that actually played and sounded GREAT for a Jap. bolt neck.

sold it to finance a road trip to Florida.....wish I could find another one.

UnivoxCoily.jpg

Next was my '71 Electra "Tree of Life" SG($75)...i put a DiMarzio dist. p'up in the bridge, and it also played and sounded GREAT for a Jap. bolt neck.....until my drunken cousin tripped over it and snapped the headstock OFF.

I repaired it, and made her boyfriend buy it from me......I miss it.

elecoak1.jpg

Next was a Series 10 Strat copy.....H/S/H with coil split mini toggles and Floyd Rose trem...($200 new)....great guitar.

Cracked the neck pocket "flexing" the neck a-la Jimi.......sold it to a cousin for $50 after about 4 yrs. use.

My Washburn D-10 SB was about the best $200 I ever spent on a new acoustic....had it forever, it needs a fret job but i'll live with some buzz....dragged it from pillar to post, used misued and abused it, it has had beer, whiskey, and (literally)my blood spilled in and on it....and it still plays/sounds really good.......it's still my "party might get rough so i'm taking THIS" dreadnaught.

My "Old Soldier"

GarysCam035.jpg

And lastly, my SX SJM '57......($139 new) This was my 1st "all electronics" self done upgrade. The Chinese P-90s were terrible, so I wne with GFS Minis. Still have less than $225 in it, and it sounds and plays like a Thousand dollar guitar.

GarysCam147.jpg

Nice keeper. Matt, you reminded me - Back in the 70s, my inlaws gave me a 1973 Yamaha G-55A Classical cheapie with laminate b/s and cedar top back. It's a parlor size, so I've kept it around all these years because anytime I'm working on something at the desk, I use the Yamaha - it's small and I don't mind if it gets bumped. Funny thing is, the old this thing gets, the better it sounds. It's got quite the mellow tone now.

1973YamahaG-55Asm.jpg

I like Yamaha very much as a brand. Nice looking baby

Matt

This is my "cheap" guitar now.

When I bought it about 32 years ago it was expensive to me. Around $300

Japanese, made in Kasuga factory for the Canadian market. Hence the maple leaf fret markers.

Put close to $700 in upgrades last year.

Not so cheap anymore.

DSCF0618.jpg

Dave

Archived