Gibson Brands Forums

New Les Paul Traditional

wineredrich

Just received delivery of this beauty a few days ago. I've been deliberating for months about which new guitar to buy to use for the reunion of my rock band. We haven't played in years and I've been doing acoustic solo stuff so my old 80s rocking gear is in pretty sad shape. I thought about other Gibsons and, yes, even other brands. but came back to Les Paul.

I always wanted an LP Standard in cherry sunburst like the main guitars of one of my heroes, Ace Frehley. My prize possession in life is my 1980 LP Custom in wine red lefty that I've had since it was new. But it needs a refret/restoration and I didn't really have a backup. This new guitar is a rocker. The lighter weight than the Custom makes it a perfect stage guitar. Upper registers are easier to grab without the back body binding and a slightly different neck heel. The stock 57 humbuckers sound every bit as good as the Seymour Duncans I put in my Custom.

What I really like about it is that, compared to the Custom, one has to really "work" to get the sound. The custom's frets are so small and the neck profile so shallow that it kind of plays itself. Almost too fast. Just the pressure of your hands can drive a chord out of tune sometimes. This new traditional with its 50s neck and bigger frets makes you dig in and work harder but in the end, you get exactly the run, riff, or chord prog you're looking for. Not sure if that makes sense but I just love it. Now if I can just find my old "cry baby" wah pedal!post-26425-089428900 1290776026_thumb.jpg

As long as we're posting lefty shots, here are two of mine. The Custom is a 1980 and I am it's original owner. Had it since I was 15. It's a super dark wine red, I've always wished it was lighter. Looks black in a lot of lighting/picture situations but it is what it is and I love it. On the right is my new baby, the Les Paul Trad.post-26425-038499600 1290864795_thumb.jpg

Archived