Gibson Brands Forums

found a new, different, Les Paul Special at GC

TattooedCarrot

Walked into GC just because it was close to where I was getting my tires balanced. I expected to see the usual junk, at the usual prices of nothing special. Then I saw this, kind of a weird configuration as far as production models go, I haven't seen brown, and it had binding. It was priced at $999, and I had my 10% coupon with and couldn't resist since I had nothing with P90's. I also told them to keep the gig bag as I didn't need it (have a spare and a couple generic cases around the house). Got out the door for $949 after tax. Would have been less if I had gone yesterday and fought the crowds with the black Friday 15% coupon.

Finish is killer and has some great looking wood grain. Neck I think is a 50's but on the thin side and close to a 60's, hard to tell really. Its not a beefy neck at all, definitely on the thinner side. Action was low and fast right outta the box and it plays like butter. Sounds like you'd expect with the typical P90 grind.

The body almost looks a tad thinner than I recall specials being, but it could be me. It also has a very slight tummy cut. The edges of the body are rounded off per normal, but the edges inside the horn are completely straight/sharp. So I'm not sure if that's on purpose, or if they forgot to round off that part during finishing. It has a high gloss and the frets and nut seem fine.

The worst part is that the P90's are held in by the two screws in the middle of the pickup. Only one of the screws in the bridge pickup works, the other is loose and not connected to wood. Same goes for both screws in the neck pickup. if you turn the guitar upside down, the neck pickup falls against the strings, and back into the body when you turn it back again. Easy enough to correct when I restring it and do a setup, but should not be that way for a factory new $1000 Gibson. Its also very light and resonant.

GC has a 30-day return policy, so we'll see how it goes. The way it plays and sounds I think it has promise, especially for being under a grand.

IMG_7083.jpg

IMG_7084.jpg

IMG_7088.jpg

IMG_7087.jpg

IMG_7090.jpg

IMG_7091.jpg

Hi TattoedCarrot,

Congratulations to the purchase, it does look like a cool Les Paul. Please make sure to bring the issue with the P-90 to the attention of GC, since your dealer is your contact point if there is a technical problem witha newly purchased guitar. Usually they will help you directly and correctly.

I have one in Cherry finish. Awesome guitar. I ended up with it after selling off my 50's Tribute. The Special seems more resonant than the Tribute to me, even with its heavy gloss. Also, it is lighter than the 50 Trib, and I LOVE the fretboard binding! For the $999 asking price and compared to the current production Special that costs $1299 without binding or gloss (although with ebony fretboard), I think it is a freakin' KILLER guitar! [thumbup][thumbup] 2 thumbs up!!

My cherry Special is a 3 piece. Nicely done (grain is matched well). The cherry is a dark, almost-wine color, so the three pieces are pretty well disguised. Again, it is a VERY resonant guitar compared to the 50's Tribute.

The brown ones are very cool and will likely become more collectable since Gibson doesn't make that color very often...I'm jealous, but I'm also very happy with this cherry one as well. It was the only one my GC had on the wall.

• 4 weeks later...

Found a cherry and a brown. The brown isn't near as dark as yours and you can see the boards a bit more. Strangely the neck on the Red was noticeably thicker than the brown. Still looks great and sound good. Gotta figure what to sell quick!

glennc

Archived