Gibson Brands Forums

Country music and Gibsons

Tman

I watched a rerun of the country music awards this weekend - I'm a junky for any shows that have a lot of guitars featured. It seems to me that country stars have completely changed from everyone playing an obligatory telecaster to now even a majority of Gibsons. One guy had an LP with the front of the guitar all lit up with changing LED lights - I couldn't tell if it was a robot though. Saw a number of Pauls, a 335, a J-45 acoustic (Paisley).

Since I've learned that my observations and assumptions often have little to do with reality, I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this trend? Some of those country pickers can tear it up and even made a Les Paul sound twangy - must have been the amp or effects.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Country music has transitioned to a harder sound in some ways. You'll still see Brad and Keith playing Teles, but don't be shocked to see Keith playing a Lester on occaision.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFj9ylA043A

Thanks for that. I agree, many of the songs played at the awards show could (should) be labeled rock for sure. I think that guitar is the same one on this video. I have to admit I thought it was an LP junior, guess I didn't look hard enough. What is it, tried to google it and there is a lot about his junior but it doesn't have the neck bucker (I don't think)?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12lHL2Nqruc

Actually it is an Epiphone LP Special II

They were recently on sale for $149.

Great guitar for the price!

Not that I'd know....

downsized_0907081509.jpg

(bought this one for the grandson)

Awesome! Lucky grandson.

Hmmm...

Pardon my cynicism based on personal stupidity when I was playing both rock and country years ago but...

I think a lot has to do 70 percent with a degree of appearance "fad" and 30 percent with playability.

I think also that you'll see a "I want something with 'X' sorta sound ability, but I don't want it to look quite like the other famous singer's band uses."

Bottom line is that I'm not sure that once you get past the playability requirement that anything approaching common sense is all that important.

Told you I'm a bit cynical on that. It's not our perception of the guitar and the sound as much at times as our perception of what the audience might perceive about our choice of guitar.

m

Country music is BIG, and probably a little more constant right now than the scattered genres of rock these days.

Makes me wonder if Gibson is making a big marketing/visibility/endorsement push in the country circles.

What we're seeing may be no accident, and artists' tastes may not have changed a bit, eh?

I mean, their acoustics have been fairly constant over the years.

Martins and Takemines too.

Les Pauls have always been visible - if at a distinct disadvantage in numbers when measured against Telecasters.

Now they're suddenly all over the place?

Hmmmm...

[unsure]

Neo...

I dunno about Gibson but... It seems that the rock thing sells a lotta guitars, but it's also a little fickle on some - and I think it's harder to make weekend money playing "new/current" rock than country.

Country seems like it works doing your own version of a lotta stuff rather than trying to sound like the record - although a lotta guys do try. If you've got enough book to have plenty of sounds, I think it's probably easier to make weekend money or full-time circuit money with modified country/pop/rock. I don't mean that the music is easier, but...

There again, playing that kinda stuff in that kind venues - I think a versatile, playable guitar is more important to making money than the brand or "look." And... I think various Gibsons have that versatility a bit better than "F" guitars although I know one guy who can use a strat for about anything except at a certain point he drops into an acoustic sound.

One lesson I learned in a small town "country music" saloon came one night when there was some problem with "stuff" and I grabbed the acoustic and started doing a simple "me and bobbie McGee" thing and folks ended up dancing and everything. No bass, no lede guitar, no drums... just me and a mike. The lesson is that sometimes we forget what makes the audience happy in preference to what makes us happy - and that sometimes simple does quite well.

m

What is a "country" guitar, anyway. Is that like a "lead" guitar?! (Smile)

Artists, being the human beings they are, have different likes, from time to

time, and like the rest of us, they like to use different instruments, for different

sounds. Gibson, Fender, Takamine, Martin, and Taylor have all capitolized on this.

That's marketing, and commerce...been going on, for a long time!

CB

Well, as a kid in my 20s and early 30s I thought a "country guitar" hadda be certain sorts of thing. So... <grin> among other instruments I dumped a nice orange Gretsch, a Hagstrom electric 12... etc., etc...

Dumb.

The real lesson I learned was that a "country" guitar is a guitar you feel comfortable playing.

Except for those who want/can do a nearly direct cover "copy" rather than a "here's how I do 'X' song," I think that's the only appropriate criterion. Of course, that's easy for me to say 'cuz I'm older than some, I look it, and there's a tendency to give a little slack to an old guy regardless of style as long as he doesn't muff too much stuff. <grin>

m

Country music, as in the Industry, almost died. Record sales were at an all time low and there just wasn;t any draw to the genre, especially within the old reliable demographic (emphasis on old). The folks in Nashville, and by "folks" I mean the power people in the Industry decided to expand the genre as a means of survival. Bands that weren't "twangy" enough were suddenly taken seriously and signed... and given proper promotion. Low and behold, record sales improved .... and they found that by letting the sound of country evolve with the rest of modern music, they could reach a much wider demographic. Wow.... whoda thunk it... if a wider range of age groups like country music there would be more money flowing into the coffers. Another benefit, they realized, is that by allowing country to have a "younger" sound, they attracted a younger audience that remained faithful....

As far as the guitars go, a painter will use the brush that best accomplishes the work at hand, and cares not if he looks cool holding it.

After my years of abuse as a child (daily exposure to endless hours of country music) I'm not really a fan.

Oh, I like some of the old stuff - Merle, Waylon, etc...

But no matter the genre, I still get goosebumps watching fingers fly on a Tele - plugged into a clean amp.

Man... country has turned out some killer guitarist.... Chet Atkins, Jerry Reed... even Brad Paisley, Keith Urban and Zac Brown are danged impressive.

[thumbup]

I had a chance to play when I was young (and stupid). I auditioned in a pizza joint... was told to get my stuff and meet the bus in a few hours.

"Screw that, I ain't playing no damned country music!"

I'm not real big on wanting second chances, but I'd like to have that one back....

Man... country has turned out some killer guitarist.... Chet Atkins, Jerry Reed... even Brad Paisley, Keith Urban and Zac Brown are danged impressive.

[thumbup]

I had a chance to play when I was young (and stupid). I auditioned in a pizza joint... was told to get my stuff and meet the bus in a few hours.

"Screw that, I ain't playing no damned country music!"

I'm not real big on wanting second chances, but I'd like to have that one back....

I think Keith and Brad are 2 of the best guitarists out there. Completely agree.

You know what's funny is that the band I was in in the 70s - Roxx - went to play a gig in Camden, Arkansas and something very similar happened. We started playing Bad Company's ready for love. We got kicked out of that place so quickly and I mean literally kicked with cowboy boots while guys were yelling that they were paying us to sing (sang) Johnny Cash not that bullsh*t. I'll never forget that night. I had to use my talk box tube to siphon gas from the other guitarists car because we weren't paid and my 77 Corolla was empty. I played with that freakin wreaking tube for 2 more years and every time Rocky Mtn Way came up I had to plug my nose so as not to get nauseated while I did the solo. True story. :blink:

Camden Ark?

Hmmmm. I can see the problem. <grin>

Seriously, I think everybody has had a gig like that.

But... I think also that there are cycles. Heck, I don't think Patsy Cline stuff would make it today if it were "new" in "country" or "rock" or "pop" because there's be no "fit" for it. But playing it as nostalgia music can work in lots of venues that supposedly are for something else.

Again... I really hate to say this, but I think a band with gray hair can get away with playing a book at a gig that "kid" bands in teens and 20s couldn't.

m

That would make a great country song...

Hey, get a good video made for it too and you'll be a hit!!! [woot][thumbup][biggrin]

P.S.,

I'm a HUGE Bad Company fan myself. [cool]

Mouthin that talk box tube..... :-({|=

Wreakin gas and needin a lube [-X

Drivin empty in a toyota ](*,)'

Ready fer love......... \:D/

Yea baby this is taking shape.

Camden Ark?

Hmmmm. I can see the problem. <grin>

Seriously, I think everybody has had a gig like that.

But... I think also that there are cycles. Heck, I don't think Patsy Cline stuff would make it today if it were "new" in "country" or "rock" or "pop" because there's be no "fit" for it. But playing it as nostalgia music can work in lots of venues that supposedly are for something else.

Again... I really hate to say this, but I think a band with gray hair can get away with playing a book at a gig that "kid" bands in teens and 20s couldn't.

m

We actually did write a tune about it called "Screwed in Camden" - Should have been "Kicked in Camden". It had a big effect (I'm talking about it 33 years later). I agree with you milod, especially as a recent inductee into the grey club. I loved your message about being able to take an acoustic and make people sing and dance when all the electronics went out. In a literary romantic sense, I think that's what original country was about. I gotta say though that after hating it and I mean hating it growing up, I really appreciate all aspects of it including, espescially including, people like John Hiatt who are kind of in a transition zone between country, folk and rock as well as the Keith's, Brad's, Lady Antebellum, Jason Aldene's. Some good stuff out there and they're playing more Gibsons.

I think one factor of "recent" music that really gets to me also is Willie Nelson's old classical guitar.

I wonder what might have happened if I had used a classical guitar with a contact mike (about all that was available) in the early 70s playing country.

I actually think people in general are tired of the "one style of guitar sound" sorta thing and are back to being interested in hearing the musicians, at least in Country. I think also that to an extent, there's still a place for a "sound-alike cover," but there's also a place for "Here's a great song, and here's how we like to do it."

So... guitars, yeah definitely, but I think part of that is a subconscious, "I could (or I did) learn some of that stuff," part of it is "This is a country music of the people instrument" and part of it... hey, I think it's what sounds rhythmic and melodic at more or less the same time to dance, hum and toetap to.

For "us," I'm increasingly convinced that a very playable guitar that gives a variety of sounds is back in style - and that means Gibson style instruments whether they're the "real thing," lookalikes or virtual sound-alikes.

But then, that's why I'm here, I guess. <grin>

m

... even made a Les Paul sound twangy - must have been the amp or effects...

Absolutely no offence intended, Tman, but I find that rather an odd thing to say and I really do hope you don't mind my saying so.

Does no-one else think they can get a Paul to sound "Twangy"?

Surely I'm not the only one here who thinks the Les Paul guitar is, to utilise Milo's phrase, "......a very playable guitar that gives a variety of sounds..." ?

I'm really curious about this.

:-k

P.

Tman, thats a great story. just brightened my morning (its -15 and snowing)

I have to say that I have always enjoyed country, from My musical hero Johnny Cash to the newer stuff(big brad paisley fan) and including the real pig squealer banjo music like eric weissberg. When I think of country guitars I do fall into the perceived stereotype of gibby acoustics or teles. I think you can turn it on its head and use any guitar for almost any genre. years ago I wrote a country song called "country aint the cure" and played it on a n SG, the reason was, that it was the only guitar I had at the time but with some dial turning on the amp and PA it kinda worked, helped that it was a comedy country song. All I know is, Country music is solid. it wont fade away no matter how fickle the music industry is and whether its new or old country there will always be an audience and always new talent trying new things..

Country music is changing, but it always has. Now, so many of the young artist were influenced by rock artists as much as they were country. Keith Urban hosted a benefit for the Country Music Hall of Fame here in Nashville last month. He did about a 30 minute set, and it was about as 'country' as a subway. But he sounded great, played great, and rocked the house. Then he and Vince Gill were the guitar players and backup singers in an all-star band that backed up all the guest artists, which was everyone from Charley Pride to John Mayer. It was a great show. The day of generalizing country music as beer drinking, cheating songs is over. Oh, you can still find that, but there is SO much more now.

Absolutely no offence intended, Tman, but I find that rather an odd thing to say and I really do hope you don't mind my saying so.

Does no-one else think they can get a Paul to sound "Twangy"?

Surely I'm not the only one here who thinks the Les Paul guitar is, to utilise Milo's phrase, "......a very playable guitar that gives a variety of sounds..." ?

I'm really curious about this.

:-k

P.

There seems to be a popular opinion, or at least there was at one point, that you can only achieve X sound with X gear.

The gear is whatever gets you the sound you're looking for the easiest. Yes... a painter can paint an entire room with a thin little detail brush, but it would be so much easier if he used a roller....

Archived