Gibson Brands Forums

UPDATED! NPD......new pictures!!! demo clip to follow

MojoRedFoot

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cool headstock, very much like Hetfield's Ken Lawrence.

Yup Warmoth must have got licensing from KL to produce that headstock design. They even call it "Ken Lawrence/Hetfield."

I've really been leaning towards the blood red stain since I have a black Gibson Explorer already. I didn't vote.

matt, i take it your gonna take it to a spray shop or guitar luthier to be painted/finished? and are you competent at fitting the electrics? B)

I'm gonna have someone do the finishing work but I will do all the rest. I will have warmoth do the nut install and cutting though. I have successfully installed pups and such at least 3 times.

Body arrived this morning! I just ordered the neck from Warmoth. That should arrive in 7-10 business days. The body came with a wooden back plate cover...bonus. That was not in the description and I that I was gonna have to make one. So finish will cover the body from and back. Anyhoo...here's a couple pix.

exp001.jpg

exp003.jpg

Nice surprise!

What does it weigh?

it's aboot 5.5-6 lbs.

I did not realize till I ordered the neck but it's an ebony fret board so lil black on red....I decided on the deep blood red stain. I want it to look like Hetfield but not be exactly the same. Gonna have to sell my Jackson for extra money for all ther parts. Might sell another. It will be worth it.

it's aboot 5.5-6 lbs.

I did not realize till I ordered the neck but it's an ebony fret board so lil black on red....I decided on the deep blood red stain. I want it to look like Hetfield but not be exactly the same. Gonna have to sell my Jackson for extra money for all ther parts. Might sell another. It will be worth it.

I HATE selling guitars. I sold my old Kramer Striker when I dropped the last band and have regretted it.

Ah well, perhaps if I'd had a new blood red Explorer I'd have felt better about it...

D00d! That's sick...i voted Mahogany!

You make this an update thread, yeah?

You bet.

Another thing I considered was shaving off about .25 inch off the top to allow space for a cap. I would have chosen Walnut or Koa and done just a natural oil but that could get real pricey. Next time. Plus this body is already routed etc.

I voted brown, but they all look good.

There's still time to change my mind. Depends on the price. If I go the mahogony brown stain, nothing much will be needed on the neck since it's mahogony. Tung oil or something. I have some leads so I'll price it all out.

Archived