Gibson Brands Forums

Need advice buying first amp!

DB Cooper

2010 Gibson SG Standard, cherry...probably through Sweetwater...$1199.

Good man.....good price; you still may find a Sweetwater sale or Musician's Friend coupon and price match....not a necessity, just a thought...

And if you choose an amp, you might get a discount, or a new customer discount, just a thought...

( Jeff 7, just a silly joke; how can a thread be hijacked from D.B. Cooper ?? I understand though; good point. )

Good man.....good price; you still may find a Sweetwater sale or Musician's Friend coupon and price match....not a necessity, just a thought...

And if you choose an amp, you might get a discount, or a new customer discount, just a thought...

( Jeff 7, just a silly joke; how can a thread be hijacked from D.B. Cooper ?? I understand though; good point. )

It was just me adding to the silly jokes :D D.B. Cooper = hijacker

It was just me adding to the silly jokes :D D.B. Cooper = hijacker

Sorry Jeff.....You are always so serious at times.....missed that one.

May I add; I've seen you end a 'question thread' with a single awesome and knowledgable answer...[thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup]

Actually in ways I'm not at all surprised, but somewhat disappointed that the "tube amp only" perspective is overwhelming here when we've a self-confessed electric guitar beginner who sez he wants an amp to play with - not something to play out.

I know I'll likely get stomped on this, but I've got and have had tube amps and one, lone solid state. Yeah, I'd love to have my old Fender Deluxe Reverb back that I traded some 35 years ago for the monster I still have today and never use.

Why do I never use it in spite of great sound and versatility for tube amp sound?

Two reasons: First, it's too @#$%@#$%@#$%@# heavy to easily haul around unless I'm well paid. Second, it lacks ability to directly interface into a computer or even a PA mixer without concerns of blowing up the darned thing messing with speaker emulators or mikes or whatever.

Yeah, I prefer the ability to have that inexpensive box that connects the "line out" of the solid state amp into the USB port of the computer 'cuz it's getting a cleaner shot at what I'm practicing at instead of what a microphone might think it sounds like in my little "man cave."

That's my own choice; there are dozens of others including the little Fender amp that supposedly does everything but play your guitar in terms of add-ins and emulations and drums and...

I dunno what I'd do equipmentwise if somebody sez, "Yo, hey come play in this band with us." I ain't had the time for a band in years. What's there for a PA? What style is being played? What basic sound or sounds would be expected from me? Jazz pure? Fusion jazz impure <grin>? 50s-60s rock? Generalized "country?"

But my choices - and most that I hear on here - are essentially for "professional" sorts of use.

My thought is - Mr. Cooper wants something to play with and explore concepts with and have fun with rather than a prep for a rock or blues jam band. At least for now. If'n I'm wrong, holler.

Is a plain tube amp what's best for this situation for the next year or two? I doubt it.

m

[scared]STOMP !! STOMP !! [flapper] [flapper] [flapper]

Just kidding Milod !!!!!!!!!!!

Ah, the Jet City amp is perfect for the Newbie; it's simple, portable, powerful, and is used by beginners as well as pros..

Which is why I suggested it...I have nothing against solid state amps, but tube amps are back and are better than ever, and to play 60s and 70s rock like he wants to, a low cost quality tube amp is the way to go...The motto is; Gibson SG, Tube amp, = Rock and Roll with real tone.....If this Jet City amp had been available in say, 1976, it would have sold for $800.00 in 1976 dollars..It's only $299.00 or less.......Many solid state amps are very good, some are suggesting a REAL TUBE tone monster for him.....My old Tube Ampeg combos weighed a ton...My avitar could (in theory) carry the Jet City to a gig...Now, sure, my avitar's a drummer and not a guitarist, but hey......

Tell me Milod, did you solve your hookup problem ?? That thread was facinating...A bit beyond my skills...

He may well choose a trans-tube Vox, who knows.....( or a Fender S.S. with effects )

And your playing on that thread is very good.......

1) I will be primarily playing at home, so I don't need to fill an arena with sound.

15 watts is fine.

2) But, I do live back in the woods, and wouldn't mind cranking it out on the deck in the summertime!

15 watts is fine :D

3) I generally won't transport it, but certainly will on occasion, so portability is a consideration.

Most of the amps listed are gonna be fine for this.

4) On this guitar, I would like to play rock, blues, mostly 60s/70s stuff.

Only your ear will be able to tell what sounds best, but a Gibson guitar through a Marshall amp is a tried and true combination

5) Lots of different options of effects and whatnot would keep me busy screwing around, and would be fun.

If you're new, the MG series will have enough to keep you busy. I'd start looking to pick up pedals for the effects you like the most.

6) I'd like to keep my first amp at or under $200.

Doable. I got my MG 15 DFX for a little over $100 and traded it in (excellent condition, in original box) and got $75 for it after 2 years.

7) Any other options I should consider?

For your FIRST amp, go Solid State. It's easier to dial in, more robust imo, and you can get really good tones while you find "your sound".

Once you've kind of dialed in where you want to go, look into a better amp and effects. It'll be much cheaper in the long run.

SFMMV

Some folks mileage may vary.

Hi again guys... (BTW, thanks for the nice word on the pickin'.)

Yeah, I think I figured how to plug the big tube jobbie into the computer - but it's complex, relatively expensive and still a bit "dangerous" if something is screwed up with the amp not running to a proper load.

So... I ain't gonna do it.

Along the general lines of this whole discussion... Instead I picked up an inexpensive PA ($200) that actually works well with a guitar as well as a mike, has two speaker cabs, plenty of power, and can be a small gig acceptible solo single source for sound significantly better than the A-E amp alone. I can run it through a computer for practice sessions if I want.

With the solid state amp plugged into it from the line out I also could run both the mike and guitar through the acoustic amp, then have the amp as a stage monitor as well as the center of the sound for a solo gig. I have a chorus and reverb on the guitar channel on the amp, but don't need it really 'cuz I run a multi-effects box that can thicken my light string habit before it hits the amp.

A bass for light work could be added too, right through the PA.

Bottom line is that I think solid state is a better choice for a beginner, especially if it has a line out. A headphone jack is nice too. Some solid state inexpensive amps also have lotza cutesy effects to play with.

Yeah, I used a tube amp in the olden days. I've used one the past decade off and on, too, and I'll agree there are some out there that offer a lotta bang for the buck. I just don't see the versatility for a beginner, especially with solid state line out options and built-in effects with a bit of power and running under $200.

The more I think about it, the more I think that for me, I should sell that big old mamajamma tube jobbie or swap it for a bigger PA. I don't think even live rock players "need" that kinda power if they buy a PA system appropriate for venues they play. Problem is that everybody wants their own gear and then it's a race to see who can be louder. I don't think that's wise - but it ain't changed much from when I was a kid.

My thought for Cooper is to consider solid state for general versatility.

Also, with a bit of tweaking, you can run through a computer to record practice sessions which is a practice session worth its weight in gold. You only think you hear yourself without a recorded feedback.

Many acoustic-electric amps also offer that dual channel idea to run a mike through. So if you're pickin' and singin', you've got kinda a one-stop solution. damian - it's what I used for those 3 youtube pieces.

m

Yup. You always make points very well stated, and you are in the end always right. Interesting solution to the problems...Heck, keep that 'ol tube amp; it still works for you.

Thanks Milod, Damian.....[thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup]

Damian...

Yeah, actually when I got the big tube jobbie, one criterion was that it also had dual input channels - mike through one side, guitar through the other pretty much the same as the old Deluxe Reverb. Haven't cranked it up the past year or so, though.

Thing is, I should probably have kept the old tube PA I had in the 70s 'stedda the big tube amp when a move brought a lotta changes. Woulda been more versatile, I think. On the other hand, the speakers were lousy. So... <grin> Life's that way, ain't it?

m

The way I'm seeing it - this is my plan: get one really good guitar (the Gibby SG Standard) that I really like, then mess around with amps for the rest of my life. I don't see this first amp purchase as the end-all, be-all amp I'm going to use exclusively forever.

Check out the Super Champ mentioned above or the Vox VT30 or VT15. They are all perfect starter and practice amps with a lot of features.

The way I'm seeing it - this is my plan: get one really good guitar (the Gibby SG Standard) that I really like, then mess around with amps for the rest of my life. I don't see this first amp purchase as the end-all, be-all amp I'm going to use exclusively forever. I've only been playing acoustic guitar for just over two years, so I'm just learning guitar anyway. But I know I want the Gibson SG...always have!

This actually made me laugh so much I woke up the wife, Yep if you play guitar you'll learn all about GAS and trust me you will be buying amps for most of your life as well as guitars, Pedals - etc. etc. etc.

Best advice I can give on a amp go try some and for your first amp buy what sounds good to you - but remember even the best guitar in the world can't make a bad amp sound good.

Check out the Super Champ mentioned above or the Vox VT30 or VT15. They are all perfect starter and practice amps with a lot of features.

I use a Vibro Champ XD (5 watt) for home practice, they're pretty good amps but don't have a headphone jack. They do readily accept pedals and have many different voicing options that range anywhere from blues to British to modern high gains.

And thanks Damian, always nice to know some of my advice is appreciated here [thumbup]

Yeah, I was going to suggest Mr. Cooper look before he leaps - but then I thought, Naaaaaah.

<grin>

I'm more of a straight chuter than that. <chortle> A plane talker, anyway.

m

LOL! Those almost flew right by me. [laugh]

I'd say check out the new Fender mustang 40W amp. Not tube but an amazing amp for the money, especially to use primarily at home. Or what I bought, the 20W.

OP here...

I made this same original post on three different guitar forums, seeking any and all advice. This is what I learned:

-Tube amps are far superior to solid state amps

-Solid state amps are way better than tube amps

-Spend far more than $200 - your Gibson SG is worth it

-$200 is plenty to spend for your first amp

-A modeling amp is a good way to go for a beginner

-Skip the modeling amp, buy pedals

-Any one of those amps listed is a great buy

-You'll get a much better deal of you buy used

-The Marshall is the way to go with a Gibson

-Marshall amps are over-rated

-VOX amps rule!

-VOX amps used to be good, but no more

-The Roland Cube is by far the best of the lot

-The Roland Cube amp will disappoint

-The Line 6 Spider amps are great

-Line 6 amps suck

-The Fender Mustang II is a great amp with a cool software package

-Don't waste your time with the Fender

-Sample all the amps and get the one you like best

Hmmmm...what did I expect, right? I decided to take that last bit of advice to heart, and, well, after a bunch of research, and a couple more hours at Guitar Center, it came down to the Fender Mustang II 40W and the Line 6 Spider IV 30W...both the same price.

In the end, I went with the Mustang...I like the controls better, the sound a bit more, and ultimately the software package looks killer if I can figure it out!

Really, as much fun as I am sure I'm going to have with this amp, I really don't figure I can lose. This guitar (oh, by the way, I bought the Gibson SG Standard, too) is here to stay, but amps come and go, right? I am sure this won't be my last amp!

Thanks everybody, for all your input, opinions, and advice.

~DB

OP here...

I made this same original post on three different guitar forums, seeking any and all advice. This is what I learned:

-Tube amps are far superior to solid state amps

-Solid state amps are way better than tube amps

-Spend far more than $200 - your Gibson SG is worth it

-$200 is plenty to spend for your first amp

-A modeling amp is a good way to go for a beginner

-Skip the modeling amp, buy pedals

-Any one of those amps listed is a great buy

-You'll get a much better deal of you buy used

-The Marshall is the way to go with a Gibson

-Marshall amps are over-rated

-VOX amps rule!

-VOX amps used to be good, but no more

-The Roland Cube is by far the best of the lot

-The Roland Cube amp will disappoint

-The Line 6 Spider amps are great

-Line 6 amps suck

-The Fender Mustang II is a great amp with a cool software package

-Don't waste your time with the Fender

-Sample all the amps and get the one you like best

Hmmmm...what did I expect, right? I decided to take that last bit of advice to heart, and, well, after a bunch of research, and a couple more hours at Guitar Center, it came down to the Fender Mustang II 40W and the Line 6 Spider IV 30W...both the same price.

In the end, I went with the Mustang...I like the controls better, the sound a bit more, and ultimately the software package looks killer if I can figure it out!

Really, as much fun as I am sure I'm going to have with this amp, I really don't figure I can lose. This guitar (oh, by the way, I bought the Gibson SG Standard, too) is here to stay, but amps come and go, right? I am sure this won't be my last amp!

Thanks everybody, for all your input, opinions, and advice.

~DB

That's usually what it comes down to. Advice is good but should always be taken with a big dose of what do I like and what works for me as a chaser. Have fun Don't let those knobs and effects keep you from doing some real playing. There the devil I tell ya!

Archived