Gibson Brands Forums

NGB New Guitar Build

damian

What will you do when the time comes to install them frets? [confused]

I'm smart enough to not to install frets myself...I'm planning on a pre-made neck, birdseye maple I hope. 25 3/4 or 25 scale.....IF I learn enough by the 'it's neck time', I'm considering a StewMac ebony fretboard slotted for frets but without them, in order to facilitate some nice inlays....I want to do as much of all this work myself, but if I need hands on help or a knowledgable helping hand I'll use it...What I had budgeted at around 5-6 hundred may end up being more...Whatever the cost, I'll do it. The sequia wood is coming from Cook Woods, $149 for one piece; I may need two..Or I'll snag quickly a $319 lg piece they have...Add to that pickups, neck, bigsby, neck, etc; not a cheap project..So, no, I'll get hands on help for the frets...If I build this and it's not playable, well, that can't happen..PUN INTENDED AND NOT: No need for me to fret !!!

I'm joining a luthiers forum, so, I'll have on-line help.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for your response, any suggestions on premade necks with headstock blanks ?

That would make it not from scratch, wouldn't it? [flapper]

Seriously though, the only necks I've seen with big blank headsotcks

have been cheapies, but there must be some good ones out there.

You know you want five P-90s.

They wouldn't fit (unless you did something insane, like put them under the fretboard,) but you know you want them.

...unless you did something insane like a 17-fret LP. Just let the P90s take over the fingerboard's real estate. Or else a baritone could work perhaps? I like this concept of 5 p90s.

...unless you did something insane like a 17-fret LP. Just let the P90s take over the fingerboard's real estate. Or else a baritone could work perhaps? I like this concept of 5 p90s.

Yeah, that would do it. Forget about those five frets you'd be missing out on--you don't really need 'em.

Or, actually, yeah, maybe a baritone would do the trick.

So how is this going man? Any pics or progress??? By the way I would be more than happy to walk you through the fretting process we could even facetime or skype or something if you get stuck. It is actually one of the easier things to do on a build and if you mess up you just yank em' out and start again...

Andy

Yeah, that would do it. Forget about those five frets you'd be missing out on--you don't really need 'em.

Or, actually, yeah, maybe a baritone would do the trick.

I forget that you're young and still believe that the highest 5 frets are the most important (no offense-- hey I was quite the shredding teen).

Very cool... I sort of did the same thing with my "Gold Top" project. I bought a worn brown Les Paul Studio that I found on ebay. It was stripped of all it's electronics and hardware, just the empty body and neck. Then I asked for advise from the forum as to what to load it up with. I also had some of my own preferences as to some of the elements of the guitar. I am very pleased with the end result of my project! As a matter of fact it is starting to take over as my go to guitar!!

Your project is far more adventurist than mine was and I know if you take your time, don't settle for anything less then what you see in your head, you will come up with a killer guitar!! My project took close to two years to finish with lots of trial and error. The finish was the most difficult part which took 4 tries to get it right.

Good luck and keep us posted, can't wait to see what you come up with...! I know it will ROCK!!!

BTW Congrats on your 2000th post... [thumbup]

Archived