Gibson Brands Forums

New to iPhone

albertjohn

Couple of things Albertjohn,

Press and hold your home button (the circle button with the square on it) to initate voice dialing; you can also say "Play (artist)" and it will play the selected music.

Press that same button twice quickly and you'll open up "multi-tasking" where you can switch between applications quickly, back and forth.

If you're already downloading apps, download "DragonDictation" it allows you to speak out text messages or email instead of typing them out.

If you have any more questions just PM me.

(I do this for a living)

Press and hold your home button (the circle button with the square on it) to initate voice dialing; you can also say "Play (artist)" and it will play the selected music.

Press that same button twice quickly and you'll open up "multi-tasking" where you can switch between applications quickly, back and forth.

If you're already downloading apps, download "DragonDictation" it allows you to speak out text messages or email instead of typing them out.

If you have any more questions just PM me.

(I do this for a living)

Artillery Owl. That's brilliant. I've just tried the voice command for The Who and it played Alison Krauss! (which is fine). I guess it has to get used to my English accent! Does it "learn" your voice?

Thanks for the tips. I suspect there are a million apps I should have but I naturally started with guitar related ones.

This machine is alot of fun.

You don't know how to reduce the snooze time on the alarm do you?

Cheers

Artillery Owl. That's brilliant. I've just tried the voice command for The Who and it played Alison Krauss! (which is fine). I guess it has to get used to my English accent! Does it "learn" your voice?

Thanks for the tips. I suspect there are a million apps I should have but I naturally started with guitar related ones.

This machine is alot of fun.

You don't know how to reduce the snooze time on the alarm do you?

Cheers

DragonDictation and Shazam (the app where it tells you what song you're listening to when you can't think of the name) are great places to start for apps.

As for the clock, no you can't alter the snooze on the built in Clock app, but there are hundreds of alarm clock apps that allow greater customization, I don't have one in front of me right now, but if you give me some time I could find a decent one. Or you could give a couple a try. Typically ones that have been downloaded many times are usually worth their salt.

As for voice control I don't think it "learns" per se, but if you try saying "play...artist...(the who)" deliberatly it should work. Make sure you instruct it to Play, then artist, then who you want.

To make calls do the same thing only say "call (a name from your own contact book, or say a whole phone number)"

Hope that helps!

Yeah Flight959 they have over 10,000,000 downloads last time I checked and it's a good time waster when you're at a doctors office or at the Department of Motor Vehicles. I was going to also suggest since Albertjohn and I live in the Common Wealth and we're a olio of imperial and metric systems I usually recommend downloading a conversion calculator that changes distance, volume and mass etc etc.

It makes grocery shopping that much easier, or painting, or home renos or what not.

"guitar" apps i have on my iPhone:

TabToolkit is nice: better on iPad but still good on iPhone. i like that the app is native on both devices, meaning only one purchase.

Guitar World's Lick of the Day. highly recommended, even though there is a required subscription fee.

Smappsoft's Scales and Modes

Mathias Navne's Guitar For Life is a nice scales/modes reference.

Planet Wave's Chordmaster

while not really a guitar tool, Riff Raters is a lot of fun.

and a HUGE +1 on Angry Birds: addictive! [biggrin]

enjoy!

Don

I'm surprised no one's mentioned the free Gibson app.

Also, if you have Sky+, the Sky+ app is a must as it allows you to set a record from anywhere - absolute killer.

Whatsapp messenger allows you to send photos to other Whatsapp users free - so you don't incur MMS charges.

iBooks is excellent, as is the Kindle app. Angry Birds will drive you nuts, and lose hours of your time, as will Osmos.

BBC news app is very good too.

I have to own up to being an Apple fan (Mac, iPhone & iPad - so well and truly hooked).

Enjoy

Thanks for the killer tips! I've had my phone for a while but haven't really explored it much. This thread oughta keep me busy for a while.

Archived