Gibson Brands Forums

G400 pickups

epi-curious

We talk a lot about pickups and many of us have modded our guitars with Duncan, GFS, Tonerider, Gibson, etc. replacements.

But I was wondering - does anyone here like their G400 with the stock pickups? I just picked up another used made-in-China model and they seem to sound pretty good to me (and I've swapped out/in many pickups in my time.)

I like the way mine sound as well. I'm not really fond of the neck pup when it's used by itself, but other than that they are not bad IMO. I kept telling myself I needed to replace them with Gibsons or something and then one day I just cranked up my tube amp and played for a while and afterwords I was like "Why the hell would I want to change these??!!". I think I'm just gonna replace the pots and caps now and leave the stock Epi pups in there. They're not bad and most of the time I can get whatever sound I want with a little amp tweaking. I am a firm believer in "IT'S ALL ABOUT THE AMP". I think a lot of people have this predetermined idea that Epi pickups are bad and it wouldn't make any difference what they sounded like, they would still say they are bad just based what they have been conditioned to believe. Those people should just shut up and play for a while and THEN make up their minds.

I'm no tone freak, and haven't owned many guitars, but I think my G400 pickups sound great. I don't anticipate changing them. I usually have them split rather than one or the other selected. If I do select one position, it is Rhythm. I don't care for the Treble position on its own, but that is probably just my current taste. I'm sure someday I'll find a use for it.

I hate the pickups on my G400 and am not keen enough on the guitar to even change them. The thing feels like it's made of lead and is much heavier than any LP I've ever picked up.

I was very inexperienced when I bought it unfortunately.

Dig

I hate the pickups on my G400 and am not keen enough on the guitar to even change them. The thing feels like it's made of lead and is much heavier than any LP I've ever picked up.

I was very inexperienced when I bought it unfortunately.

Dig

I hate to see a fellow guitar player suffer; just send it to me [thumbup]

We talk a lot about pickups and many of us have modded our guitars with Duncan, GFS, Tonerider, Gibson, etc. replacements.

But I was wondering - does anyone here like their G400 with the stock pickups? I just picked up another used made-in-China model and they seem to sound pretty good to me (and I've swapped out/in many pickups in my time.)

They really do sound good stock for live playing, but you may find out their limitations during recording where they can be rather harsh and toneless.

In line with the experiences of Supersonic and Magneezo I really think that Epi pups do better on cranked up power tubes where a lot of the sweet tone comes from the complex harmonic overtones that ensue; rather than from the pups themselves. If you want to play at lower volumes or with more pre-amp gain you may be a lot more satisfied with Gibson or SD pups.

Alan

I've got guitars that have after market pups and I've got guitars with stock pups. Over this past summer I picked up a new Vintage G400 (no neck binding). I thought they were pretty good but even after tweaking pup height sometimes it just lacked a little something. I put an RS modern kit in it and left the pups - it really brought the pups to life! They are clear and articulate played clean or crankin! [thumbup] So I'd say the pups are decent & the electronics (though they don't sound horrible) could be upgraded.

The G-400 STOCK pickups should be:

Bridge: HOTCH(G), about 13.3K

Neck: 57CH(G). about 8.1K

Nothing wrong with these, I LOVE using them in "Project Guitars", can

snag them off ebay at GOOD prices since many folks out there will swap

pups "looking" for "the perfect tone". All depends on the construction

materials of the git the pups are in.

I have an EPI LP Studio. A year later, I bought an EPI LP Classic. Turns out

both gits had SAME pups. In the Studio, sounded too muddy, in the Classic, just

fine. Only difference - Studio was solid "Mahogany", Classic was "Something-Wood"

with a cap. Git construction does make a difference, and of course, so does the

Amp.

In the end, up to individual owner's taste....

In the end, up to individual owner's taste....

True. For instance, I have a Gibson SG special with the stock pickups which are the 490s. My favorite humbuckers are Alnico II which the 490s are and I love the sound - especially the neck. But there are others who can't wait to swap these out for others.

The stock pickups in the G400 are working pretty well for me now but if I ever do change the pickups in these I might give these Alnico IIs a shot: Parson Street pickups from Stewmac

Archived