Gibson Brands Forums

Blues King or CJ-165

cwheat

I have played both and now own a CJ-165 Rosewood. With the right strings, the CJ sounds very 'musical' (if that makes sense)

and is such a joy to play! Effortless! The Blues King is a bit edgier, although, make no mistake, neither

one is in any way a cannon. Don't forget about the LC1-Cascade. It falls somewhere in the middle of the two. It is out of production,

but available used, usually at a pretty good price. Check the 'Used' section of GC's website.

CJ 165 Hands down ! The blues King is 1/10th the guitar !!!IMHO

I have to agree with Sub......the CJ is really a full guitar, I saw several Blues Kings, and Robert Johnson's when I was hot for one of these, and several of them had neck problems, ranging from needing neck resets, to one having a twisted neck. All of them were "bass challenged"....good luck in your hunt

I would say neither.

I personally have been disappointed with new Gibson small bodied guitars. The CJ as much as I wanted to love it for me just didn't deliver on tone. It was just too tinny sounding, lacking depth and resonance. I played a few of those models and same story.

In the end I settled on my Furch OM which has great depth, projection and warmth for an OM.

I own a CJ-165 maple and love the guitar. I haven't played a Blues King so I can't specifically compare the two for you, but in doing the research before buying my CJ ....it did seem to be the consensus that the CJ is a more versatile guitar. I can say the CJ IS a very versatile guitar. The comments I read about the BK was that while it was great for blues and "roots" type music, it might have some limits sounding just right for some other styles.

The CJ is great for blues, but is also a great strummer. It sounds great for Beatles type fingerpicking. It can do country ...etc...etc...etc. It is an all arounder.

Between the two, 165 and Blues King the 165 has the edge as an all round guitar. It finger picks great and strums well with a nice warm sound. I have played a 165 maple back and that is very bright but the guitar it's self is better in rosewood. I have one but it took me a year to find it.

I agree with Martin the Gibson Cascade cuts across the two and has a wonderful neck, why Gibson don't make them anymore is one of life's mysteries but they come up on E Bay now and again. Perhaps the best guitar of all certainly on a resale value but then thats not what I guess you are looking for. Good luck!

Well, we have a case of apples and oranges here, so maybe the question is, do you need and apple or an orange? The BK is more of a finger pickers guitar (too aggressive/bright to handle strumming). If you need an all-rounder, the CJ could work, but Id think a J185 or J45 are better options: not that much bigger a box but more headroom for strums while being responsive enough to pick. And you can get around the size issue by wearing a strap. If you want that 000 grand concert size, tho, Id consider looking to a Martin/clone --that's their bag. Hope that helps.

Well, we have a case of apples and oranges here, so maybe the question is, do you need and apple or an orange? The BK is more of a finger pickers guitar (too aggressive/bright to handle strumming). If you need an all-rounder, the CJ could work, but Id think a J185 or J45 are better options: not that much bigger a box but more headroom for strums while being responsive enough to pick. And you can get around the size issue by wearing a strap. If you want that 000 grand concert size, tho, Id consider looking to a Martin/clone --that's their bag. Hope that helps.

Great points ....

Yes perhaps an alternative to a BK would be something like a 000-15S ( which are technically no longer in production but NOS, variants and special orders are still fairly readily available)

Here is mine...it is a great blues guitar, but still very versatile. Even with the upgrades...I am about $1k less for my 000-15S than what a Blues King goes for.

15s015Large.jpg

Yes perhaps an alternative to a BK would be something like a 000-15S)
Well, that could work, but again, it really comes down to what the OP needs (or thinks he/she needs). Before buying any small body guitar (grand concert, that is, a 000, or under) that the player be in love with that sound. If not, we are looking at a marriage of convenience and we how those tend to work out

• 2 weeks later...

I would say neither.

I personally have been disappointed with new Gibson small bodied guitars. The CJ as much as I wanted to love it for me just didn't deliver on tone. It was just too tinny sounding, lacking depth and resonance. I played a few of those models and same story.

In the end I settled on my Furch OM which has great depth, projection and warmth for an OM.

Try a thirtys L 00 ! [thumbup]

Archived