Gibson Brands Forums

Balls up on a floyd? Yep! and Why....

Andy R

So in Thundergod's post about the kid who got ripped off with the jackson some people were asking about and poking fun at having balls side of the string on the tuner. I have done this for years and here is why...

When I got my first Floyd the "Proper way" at the time was to install the string by clipping the ball off just after the loop of the ball so that the string wouldn't unwind and the pressure block had more to bite into and the string wouldn't break as quickly. So I did this way for quite a while.

Here are the pains with this and why I started going balls up: ( i know this is an easy target but please resist)

1st. "Where in the hell did my wire snips go?"...." Hey do you have my snips? " no man I haven't used them" ..... Try kink breaking the string where it is twisted....

2nd. If I found the snips.... Pop string broke.... "Ah hell the wrap has came apart and is stuck in and under the pinch block".... " Where the hell is my mini screw driver to try to dig this thing out?" .... "Hey man have you seen my micro screw driver?"... "No man I haven't used it" ..... Insert expletives as I try to find something to get the string bits out from the pinch block.

3rd. Quit using the "keep string wrap on" method and just cut the string clean after the wrap... see point 1 again

4th. Middle of a song in the middle of the set POP! String breaks! ( remember this was my main guitar and back-up was a cheap POS) Chunk the guitar to our tech. He can go through the process of trying to put a new string on.... See point 1 again.... Then the string needs stretched forever before you can lock it down.... and you just lost a string out of a set .... (poor musician couldn't afford that many packs of strings) ..... or you can loosen the locking nut and pull some slack string out and lock it back down to get you through the night.... Next day complete set of new fresh strings....

So why not just cut the ball off and leave enough string for a breakage emergency??? Guitar tech half stoned half drunk.... Loosens the nut ........ BOING!!!!!! The string unravels from the tuner.... It's dark, hard to see... Now dude has got to try to rethread the string....

Or you leave the ball on.... You can kink break them if you have to and if you loosen the nut to pull some slack string out to get ya through even if the string unwraps it doesn't come off the post....

And there you have it. I started doing it a long time ago pretty much out of necessity and it just stuck. Concerning the picture on Thundergod's post that is way to much string and does look ridiculous.

Here is how I do it. Back in the day I would have left just a little more on it. I usually changed strings about every other night and didn't and don't break strings very often.....

069a355a.jpg

Might be your thing might not.....

As always regards,

Andy

/shrug

Some folks eat their pizza "crust first". :)

Just odd to see it. I never had any trouble that I can recall with the one on my Kramer, but then it was my back up. If I broke a string, it was on the Strat. I wasn't fancy enough to have a guitar tech, so I'd only have to finish the set with the Kramer, and could restring between sets.

I don't recall ever breaking a string on both guitars during a show.... but then it was a "few" years ago.

It's all good. Again, it's why there's more flavors than just vanilla![thumbup]

/shrug

Some folks eat their pizza "crust first". :)

Just odd to see it. I never had any trouble that I can recall with the one on my Kramer, but then it was my back up. If I broke a string, it was on the Strat. I wasn't fancy enough to have a guitar tech, so I'd only have to finish the set with the Kramer, and could restring between sets.

I don't recall ever breaking a string on both guitars during a show.... but then it was a "few" years ago.

It's all good. Again, it's why there's more flavors than just vanilla![thumbup]

Sometimes we had a tech and sometimes I was the half drunk idiot msp_blink.gif And between sets I wanted to piss, get a beer, and talk up the women! msp_tongue.gif So the less time I spent dicking with guitar the better!

Sometimes we had a tech and sometimes I was the half drunk idiot msp_blink.gif And between sets I wanted to piss, get a beer, and talk up the women! msp_tongue.gif So the less time I spent dicking with guitar the better!

That's where I screwed up. I was paranoid, and between sets I gaurded the gear while everyone else drank, smoked, peed and got women!!

[blush]

So in Thundergod's post about the kid who got ripped off with the jackson some people were asking about and poking fun at having balls side of the string on the tuner. I have done this for years and here is why...

When I got my first Floyd the "Proper way" at the time was to install the string by clipping the ball off just after the loop of the ball so that the string wouldn't unwind and the pressure block had more to bite into and the string wouldn't break as quickly. So I did this way for quite a while.

Here are the pains with this and why I started going balls up: ( i know this is an easy target but please resist)

1st. "Where in the hell did my wire snips go?"...." Hey do you have my snips? " no man I haven't used them" ..... Try kink breaking the string where it is twisted....

2nd. If I found the snips.... Pop string broke.... "Ah hell the wrap has came apart and is stuck in and under the pinch block".... " Where the hell is my mini screw driver to try to dig this thing out?" .... "Hey man have you seen my micro screw driver?"... "No man I haven't used it" ..... Insert expletives as I try to find something to get the string bits out from the pinch block.

3rd. Quit using the "keep string wrap on" method and just cut the string clean after the wrap... see point 1 again

4th. Middle of a song in the middle of the set POP! String breaks! ( remember this was my main guitar and back-up was a cheap POS) Chunk the guitar to our tech. He can go through the process of trying to put a new string on.... See point 1 again.... Then the string needs stretched forever before you can lock it down.... and you just lost a string out of a set .... (poor musician couldn't afford that many packs of strings) ..... or you can loosen the locking nut and pull some slack string out and lock it back down to get you through the night.... Next day complete set of new fresh strings....

So why not just cut the ball off and leave enough string for a breakage emergency??? Guitar tech half stoned half drunk.... Loosens the nut ........ BOING!!!!!! The string unravels from the tuner.... It's dark, hard to see... Now dude has got to try to rethread the string....

Or you leave the ball on.... You can kink break them if you have to and if you loosen the nut to pull some slack string out to get ya through even if the string unwraps it doesn't come off the post....

And there you have it. I started doing it a long time ago pretty much out of necessity and it just stuck. Concerning the picture on Thundergod's post that is way to much string and does look ridiculous.

Here is how I do it. Back in the day I would have left just a little more on it. I usually changed strings about every other night and didn't and don't break strings very often.....

069a355a.jpg

Might be your thing might not.....

As always regards,

Andy

Yep, that was common around here too. That's why I hate Floyds and have been a Kahler user for years. [flapper]

These days, I don't whammy anymore. I lock down my guitars with trems. I just bend deep and mercilessly.

Yep, that was common around here too. That's why I hate Floyds and have been a Kahler user for years. [flapper]

These days, I don't whammy anymore. I lock down my guitars with trems. I just bend deep and mercilessly.

I just never could really get the feel of Kahlers.... Too squishy for me... But to each their own! It's good we have choices!

I just never could really get the feel of Kahlers.... Too squishy for me... But to each their own! It's good we have choices!

It's all in knowing how to adjust the cam, you can even flutter with a Kahler, just like a Floyd,

which is one of the coolest sounds you can make with a trem, IMO. I love that sound.

I don't like installing them that way, I think it looks kind of dirty.

I could see that. Hey it worked for me but I was more about functionality than looks. Hey what ever happend with the Jackson your student brought in and why did the Thread get locked? Was it because of the GC stuff?

They refunded him 20% of what he paid and gave him new strings and a gigbag... I set the guitar up for free during the weekend. It's way better now[thumbup]

Don't know if the thread got locked or deleted... I'll look it up.

Good deal. You sound like a good decent guy! Good for your students! msp_thumbup.gif

Archived