Gibson Brands Forums

Daughters came to me and said "teach me guitar dad'

swleary

Got to be a proud father on that one. I see you are letting her learn on a good guitar also. So much easier on their soft fingers to learn on a good player.

She could probably do a lot of the sixties and seventies stuff with those chords. Jam with her so that she will keep interested.

Whycome you make her play blindfolded???

/chuckle

That''s a very good thing, having your kids take an interest in music. My eldest son has my JB Player on a stand in his room and my youngest has a Violin...

Huzzah!

/chuckle

That''s a very good thing, having your kids take an interest in music. My eldest son has my JB Player on a stand in his room and my youngest has a Violin...

Huzzah!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA I love you chanman [flapper]

gratz on the new guitarist swleary! [thumbup]

/chuckle

Huzzah!

SO she doesn't look at the neck, it's all about feel lol

That's very cool! And great that she can learn on a good guitar. I always thought it was ironic that so-called *beginner guitars* are usually crappy and hard to play! Yeah, way to encourage someone.... the action is so high you could land a 747 under the strings. When you think of it, a good beginner guitar is a good guitar, period. I think of how many kids who wanted to play guitar and their parents bought them a $100.00 guitar in a box from London Drugs. Of course it's completely unplayable, and the kid gets discouraged and quits. Sorry for the rant. Anyway, great news about your daughter! [thumbup]

I agree with you, a crappy guitar is always hard to play. I'm happy that she wants to learn and for the love of music and not the love of her dad.It's also good for our bonding time so I'm all for it. She is playing my LP Traditional until Christmas , she is getting an acoustic. Hopefully it's ok for her but if not, I'll be getting her an Epiphone or something like that...

My family play alot so it's a natural thing for her. Most of the family either play guitar or piano.

How old is she? (sorry if you already answered that one, haven't read all the replies).

I can only imagine how much of an amazing experience that must be man, I hope when I have kids they get interested in guitar and music (at least enough for them to not run away scared when I tell them I'll teach them to play guitar! [biggrin] )

What kind of music does she like? Teach them the 1-4-5 and 1-4-5-6 chord progressions and she'll be playing 70% of the most popular songs in no time [thumbup]

Doing music together, I think, is excellent for a family to do. Perhaps better than any other activity in ways because it requires teamwork, but nothing is "lost" as in a sport or such. We didn't do so much instrumental together when I was a kid, but we did sing a lot, and the harmony brought, I think, harmony.

But...

I'm not sure in ways I'd agree that an inexpensive guitar need be unplayable. In a guitarist's family, I'd wager the boss picker likely knows enough about setup that a "good" guitar also can be quite inexpensive.

The reason I'm suggesting that too is that I'd not care to think of an 11-12 year old taking a Hummingbird to school, but I think it'd be great to take perhaps at most the Epi version of the same.

Just a thought, but... sixth grade is a lot more dangerous to a guitar or other relatively item of value, IMHO, than a sleazy saloon gig.

m

I agree with you Milod, a good setup is worth it's weight in gold. Just hope she never has to play a toy guitar lol. The one she is getting is a good starter and should get her through. An Epi will be down the road however she did mention a Gibson Dove already..haha ya dad don't even have that.

We are just learning the major chords now and a few minor's. I shower her a power chord, she looks at me and goes " wow that's too easy" lol....love the willingness to learn.

Archived