Gibson Brands Forums

I'm borrowing a Flying V!

Twiz

In an effort to help me decide between another SG Standard or a Flying V, a buddy of mine is letting me borrow his. I think I've decided on a V. Hopefully in the next 6 months or so, I'll get a white one. Also, the distortion in this vid is produced by a RAT clone that another friend of mine made for me (he even welded the chassis himself!). I'm working on a demo vid of that pedal, but I need to get better with my video editing software before I post that. Anyhoo, here's something I wrote on the borrowed axe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-gdk4TIINw

Thanks fellas. I appreciate the Jim Martin and Kirk Hammett references. They're two of my favorite players. I don't think I'll ever be that good though. Haha.

As for the shape, that was my main worry. It's a body shape that I'm not used to at all, and I feared it would be too awkward to play. Amazingly though, when you throw it over your shoulder, it's perfectly balanced, and really comfortable. The body is a lot lighter than my LP Special (what I usually play). I'm definitely going to be a member of the V club (hopefully) soon. Cheers.

cool! I never really had a true connection with v's. mainly cause of the body shape and the fact that it was uncomfortable

to play sitting donw. but, to each his own! they are nice guitars though [thumbup]

It is THE most comfortable guitar to play sitting down. Tuck the bottom wing behind your right knee and presto: you're in the Suzuki position with excellent posture.

IMHO, the Epiphone '58 reissue V (Epi's most common V model) is way better looking than the Gibson '67 reissue (Gibson's most common model), plays just as nice, and is far less expensive.

Archived