Gibson Brands Forums

Would you trade a ES 339 for an ES 175

daveinspain

I've been looking for an ES 175 for quite a while now. Today while passing by a music store I see one hanging on the wall. Looks nice, vintage burst in great shape. A little bit of checking on the upper part of the body but no nicks or dings that I could see. I asked if I could have a play and get some info on the guitar. The sales guy hands me the guitar and I notice right off that it's heavier than any other ES 175 I have played. Action was good, no buzzing or weirdness, sounded good threw the amp. It didn't have that Oh my God this feels great feel that other 175's had that I have played but it is a beautiful guitar and plays well. I asked if they would be interested in a trade and I told them I have an ES 339 in perfect condition so they said they'd be interested to see it. They are asking 2100 euros for the ES 175, just about what I paid for my ES 339 in 2007 but in dollars. ES 339 are very hard to come by here in Spain, I don't know of anyone else that has one here in Valencia.

So would you trade a 2007 ES 339 for a 1991 ES 175? The 175 is a Norlin era guitar. I was going to ask for an even trade... If they ask for my guitar and money too I'm not sure how much would be too much...

Any thoughts? Sorry for this ramble....

The Norlin era ended in the mid '80s.

No idea, Dave. I'd say just check eBay to see what they're selling for and see what your 339 sells for used. Take your guitar to the shop and play them side by side. If you like the 175 more and they're worth about the same, go for it. You go to the US all the time and can always buy another 339.

Yeah I guess you're right Tim... Not only that but my Johnny A. is very similar to the ES 339 as far as size and feel go plus the Johnny A. has a Bigsy. That's one of the reasons I was thinking of letting the 339 go and the Johnny A. is a much better guitar. That being said the I don't want to take anything away from the 339, it's a very nice guitar too.

What I don't get are two things...

1. It's heavier than other 175s you've played? Sure it's not a 137 or some variation most folks might not know much about thanks to the Norlin era??? Given that a 137 is only about $2,000 U.S. new, ???????

2. It doesn't seem alive? Naaah. Even an old Ibanez "patent infringement" box feels alive. Something doesn't quite right to me...

If it's gorgeous and you like the model and even with a deal... no, to me if it doesn't kinda grab you, I wouldn't do it. Just me maybe, but...

m

Nope - only because you don't sound all that impressed with the 175 sounds like you think it's ok at best but you have gas for a 175 so your talking yourself into it? Sorry but that never ends well and you'll end up with a mediocre guitar that's ok. Life's too short for mediocre guitars keep looking for one you love.

Nope - only because you don't sound all that impressed with the 175 sounds like you think it's ok at best but you have gas for a 175 so your talking yourself into it? Sorry but that never ends well and you'll end up with a mediocre guitar that's ok. Life's too short for mediocre guitars keep looking for one you love.

It's like you were reading my mind......

[thumbup]

And not because I have a 339, because Dave has his Johnny-A.

It didn't seem like his heart was in it.

It's like you were reading my mind......

[thumbup]

And not because I have a 339, because Dave has his Johnny-A.

It didn't seem like his heart was in it.

Right you are Murph... The Johnny A. is an "Oh my God" guitar. The ES 339 is a very nice guitar but I bought it sight unseen and had it shipped to Spain without playing it first. When it arrived it wasn't even set up so when I played it it was a let down. Now I have it set up and it plays much nicer but that first impression still hangs with me. I know someone here would love to have that guitar though so I'll give it up to make room for an ES 175. Whenever that may be...

I had my 339 shipped to my work, and paid extra for 2 day so I could have it for a weekend gig. It didn't make it on time. I never plugged it in, took the strings off/restrung made a few very slight adjustments for intonation/action so when I DID plug it in, it was READY......

And it was perfect......

So, my first impression was a good one. Anyhow......

Best of luck.

I had my 339 shipped to my work, and paid extra for 2 day so I could have it for a weekend gig. It didn't make it on time. I never plugged it in, took the strings off/restrung made a few very slight adjustments for intonation/action so when I DID plug it in, it was READY......

And it was perfect......

So, my first impression was a good one. Anyhow......

Best of luck.

You live and learn... I don't think I'll be buying anything without playing it first anymore but incase I do I do it your way... Thanks... [thumbup]

I still think one thing that bothers me about the one you saw in the store feeling heavier than what you remembered as the weight of a 175 and they way it sounded.

Yeah, Norlin era was odd but... I wonder too if it may be a more illegal knockoff too...

m

I still think one thing that bothers me about the one you saw in the store feeling heavier than what you remembered as the weight of a 175 and they way it sounded.

Yeah, Norlin era was odd but... I wonder too if it may be a more illegal knockoff too...

m

Hey Milod, Next time I go by the Store I'll have another look and play and take some photos... You may be right that it's an ES 137... I'll get the serial number as well... All in all my lust/GAS for an ES 175 had the best of me and I was willing to settle for a good guitar rather than a great one. Chances are I wont be buying that guitar so it really doesn't matter. I appreciate your concern though. Thanks man... [thumbup]

Just a thought here...

First an absolute yupper on the effect of strings and setup whether you do or don't care for the feel of a guitar and its sound. Been there, done that.

OTOH...

If we assume this particular instrument is a Norlin variation of a 137 with a center block, no it won't have the sound of a 175. Can't, really. OTOH, different strings may make a difference with how it feels and different strings certainly will make a difference in sound.

The pot setups also are pretty important in ways. A 175 can sound like anything from a classic "jazz guitar" to quite a bit more bite for different types of stuff, ditto a 335 or my Epi Dot.

Basically I think a full hollow is sensitive to various pickup settings somewhat differently from a semi; the semi responds (to me) somewhat differently from a solid body.

But...

The real issue is whether Dave is pleased with a given instrument. What the heck, you may wanna have a $50,000 guitar on your wall if the cash isn't an issue, but whatever it is that makes you like your main "playing guitar" and its backup, if any, is an issue that's mostly separate.

m

Dave, how can you let the factory set up taint your 339? Come on, that's why you adjust the neck/bridge - to make the guitar fit you. Nearly every Gibson leaves the factory needing some adjustments. That 137/175 (whatever it is...lol) may also just need some tweaking.

I hear you Tim, I do have the 339 set up pretty well now... I have flat wounds on it and it has a nice feel and anyone who knows a 339 knows it's a great sounding guitar. That is not the issue. I have had ES 175 GAS for well over a year now but I can't justify getting another guitar without letting at least one go. The Johnny A. and 339 a very similar in size and feel and even close in sound as well. So if It's between keeping the Johnny or the 339 I gotta go with keeping the Johnny A.

I am not going to rush into buying anything just yet so I'll be hanging on to the 339 for a while longer... I appreciate all the input you guys are giving me and if anyone spots a nice ES 175...

Well Dave, it seems you've already made the decision in your own mind.

Personally, I think the addition of the Es-339 into my modest stable was a no brainer.

It was the first guitar that I played only briefly and knew I had to have it.

My R0 was bought sight unseen and I lucked out completely.

Any chance of keeping the 339 and just adding to the family?

Dave

Archived