Gibson Brands Forums

Learning Theory.

Andre S

Andy, note that F# is the first sharp in the key of G. That list is a list of the order of sharps. The circle of fifths/fourths can tell a person a lot if they just pay attention to it and study it.

A quick way to find the relative minor is to move three frets back from the major root.

Ahhhhh My bad! Sorry! I've just never looked at it that way. I see what your saying but can be confusing to how I listed it.

So Let's Frame this so it doesn't get confused.

The order of the notes that get a sharp as you progress

is

F to F#

C to C#

G to G#

D to D#

A to A#

E to E#

B to B#

The order of the number of Sharps as you progress (I bolded your take on this below: )

C = 0

G Major = 1 Sharp which is F# = GABCDEF#G

D Major = 2 Sharps Which are F# and C# = DEF#GABC#D

A Major = 3 Sharps which are F#, C# and G# = ABC#DEF#G#A

E Major = 4 Sharps Which are F#, C#, G# and D# = EF#G#ABC#D#E

B Major = 5 Sharps Which are F#,C#,G#,D# and A# = BC#D#EF#G#A#B

F# Major = 6 Sharps which are F#C#G#D#A# and E# = F#G#A#BC#D#E#F#

C# Major = 7 Sharps Which are F#,C#,G#,D#,A#, E# and B# = C#D#E#F#G#A#B#C#

Thanks for the lesson!

I've not read thru every one's post but let me suggest where to go next or at least in the near future.

Theory is great, but it took me years to make it useful and now I know just enough to be either dangerous or to screw me up for the rest of my life. It probably wouldn't have taken so long had I kept learning it - ha ha.

Anyway, you said you learned the major scale - great! Have you learned all of the fingerings up/down the fret board? If not, then do that first.

Next: Learn the chord pattern that goes with the major scale: I-ii-iii-IV-IV-v-Vi*

Major-minor-minor-Major-Major-minor-diminished

That pattern will help you in many ways.

Then move into the minor scales and progressions.

This is where the Fretboard logic books really help by utilizing the CAGED method you learn how to play the scales and chords in all positions and how they link together... It was a serious awakening for me and made it much easier to memorize all the patterns as you identify everything back to the C A G E and D chord shapes....

Anyway, you said you learned the major scale - great! Have you learned all of the fingerings up/down the fret board? If not, then do that first.

When you say all the fingerings up and down the fingerboard, do you mean the different positions for each major scale?

Just to clarify further, each position would mean the same notes, say for the C Major scale, CDEFGAB, just in different places on the fretboard?

Also, can different scales in the key of C be combined in solos and stuff?

Didn't reach that far yet, so I don't really know. Right now I learnt two positions of C Major. Well I don't know if you'd count a position as only being on the B string.

My advice - train your ear and link it to the fretboard before you get too carried away with theory.

You can learn all the theory you want, but if you can't hear it, what's the point?

I know theory geniuses that can't even play "happy birthday" immediately in any position in any key without mistakes. Don't become one of these people.

If you would like to train your ear and link it to the fretboard I can offer some guidelines to get you started.

My advice - train your ear and link it to the fretboard before you get too carried away with theory.

You can learn all the theory you want, but if you can't hear it, what's the point?

I know theory geniuses that can't even play "happy birthday" immediately in any position in any key without mistakes. Don't become one of these people.

If you would like to train your ear and link it to the fretboard I can offer some guidelines to get you started.

Thanks that would be nice. I remember you posted the tips in another thread I think.

When you say all the fingerings up and down the fingerboard, do you mean the different positions for each major scale?

Just to clarify further, each position would mean the same notes, say for the C Major scale, CDEFGAB, just in different places on the fretboard?

Also, can different scales in the key of C be combined in solos and stuff?

Didn't reach that far yet, so I don't really know. Right now I learnt two positions of C Major. Well I don't know if you'd count a position as only being on the B string.

Yes and no, but yes. You can play a C scale starting with a different note

CDEFGABC

or

DEFGABC

or

EFGABC

etc... This is what is referred to as modes - mixolydian and such. The names are not so important. Either way as long as there are no sharps/flats it is a C major scale. For guitar, there are 5 basic shapes/patterns and each begins with a different note. As you learn those basic shapes you will learn the fret board and the note/scale relationships. Uhhh if that makes sense.

I agree Theory is a good thing to understand but it more academic to music than training your ear. I learned totally by ear but not like mcmurray is describing. I just burned up a lot of tape players .msp_blink.gif I Learned most of the theory stuff when I was teaching.

Andy

Archived