Gibson Brands Forums

80s rock guitar tone?

Dom_JEM

That just sounds like a les Paul straight into a couple of Marshall 100's. I had a sound like that from just a Marshall 50 with an mxr micro amp. It's in the hands!

my set up is a gibson sg standard with an orange AD30 head, that kind of gain is harder to get without some sort of boost [confused]

Generally what sounds like a Les Paul into a regular old Marshall is a bit more complex than that

- unless it's AC/DC. [biggrin] Did you read the link I posted earlier? Aldrich's Marshall's have all been

modified. He also plays in stereo - three amps - dry sound in the middle, reverb and delay on the

outsides. Most great Marshall sounds are not stock - sorry to deflate anyone's balloons but it's true.

[biggrin]

Generally what sounds like a Les Paul into a regular old Marshall is a bit more complex than that

- unless it's AC/DC. [biggrin] Did you read the link I posted earlier? Aldrich's Marshall's have all been

modified. He also plays in stereo - three amps - dry sound in the middle, reverb and delay on the

outsides. Most great Marshall sounds are not stock - sorry to deflate anyone's balloons but it's true.

[biggrin]

Yup!

Kerry King and RR marshalls were modded to the max for gain!

[biggrin]

Yeah a lot were. I love Randy but his tone was never captured very well. I think he had the cascaded gain stage mod... I will say this my 73 100 Watt Super Leads are set-up stock and has a Ton of gain. Way more than Angus or Malcom but it has to be dimed to get it. msp_thumbup.gif Even the Metro JTM 45 has a lot of gain. I don't believe you need to mod a Marshall to get the 80's tone at all. A furman - PQ3 will really add that crunchy mid. msp_biggrin.gif

Randy also used an MXR Distortion+ to boost input to his Marshalls.

It's true, most of the tones we know as distinctively Marshall have had some external tweaking along the line.

[thumbup] Played my 2203KK back to back against an acquaintances’ “stock” 2203 through the same cab. The KK is definitely a Marshall but the “hotroddedness” is clear in a back to back comparison.

Archived