Gibson Brands Forums

Cafe Gig #2

onewilyfool

So, today was gig #2. Fairly successful with these valuable lessons learned!!

1. When people get up to leave and come over and say "thank you for the music" just nod. If you respond to them in the middle of a song, you will lose your place....lol. I learned to just smile and nod, and speak to them only after the song finished.....lol....simple but effective

2. I was slouching and sitting on the sofa and having a hard time singing today, BEFORE I sat up straight, and lifted my collapsed diaprham, lol...and sang with more gusto. Again, bad habits from couch playing. I think next time I may actually sit in a straight chair and practice good posture like my mother taught me.....lol

3. Whether people "appear" to be listening or not, just play with all your heart, because at some level they are hearing you.

Today was fun and a great learning experience. I tried out a few new songs I'm learning, but haven't got down pat, and got to see where I get hung up on words and which guitar embellishments are giving me trouble when others are watching....invaluable! Almost everyone who came in thanked me or complimented me on the music, which just feels good. One lady, who has a Martin Nylon string guitar, asked me if I gave lessons???!!!....lol.....I can play, but can I teach???? I now get FREE coffee when I go to the shop, and the owner encouraged me to put out a tip jar....lol.....I feel soooo unworthy, lol, and for some reason would be embarassed by doing that, isn't that strange and silly. I consider myself just a hobby player, and it just doesn't seem right....comments???? I found some interesting things, MIND wise.....when I make mistakes, guess what, I'm thinking!!!! No biggie there, when I trust my practice time and just sing from the heart, no problem. Also, I have this tendancy to SPEED up in public, which I don't when playing at home....need to be aware of that too....Will keep you posted on the next one!!!

By the way, took my Harmony Sovereign this time, and it was DEFINITELY enough guitar to fill the space this time....lol....this is my "street" guitar....

Brilliant, Wily, and thanks for the - performance - tips. As for the pecuniary variety, I think you would be perfectly justified in putting out a jar. You may consider yourself a couch player, but we've all heard you on YouTube, and you are very modest. You are entertaining other people as well as yourself, just like a busker in the street. You are not making them pay for the privilege of hearing you, just because you give them the opportunity to do so. But should they want to show their appreciation, they cannot do so without some form of receptacle. An empty espresso cup might take enough to cover your restringing costs, but make it an empty grande latte cup, and you might be able to save up for a spare Harmony. In any case, I know of some cafes where you essentially serve yourself, the coffee machines are button operated, and still they leave out a tip jar on the off-chance. You know you're doing more work than those optimists...

Thanks Fred and Mojorule.......Good advice...and thanks for the kind words!!!

Brilliant, Wily, and thanks for the - performance - tips. As for the pecuniary variety, I think you would be perfectly justified in putting out a jar. You may consider yourself a couch player, but we've all heard you on YouTube, and you are very modest. You are entertaining other people as well as yourself, just like a busker in the street. You are not making them pay for the privilege of hearing you, just because you give them the opportunity to do so. But should they want to show their appreciation, they cannot do so without some form of receptacle. An empty espresso cup might take enough to cover your restringing costs, but make it an empty grande latte cup, and you might be able to save up for a spare Harmony. In any case, I know of some cafes where you essentially serve yourself, the coffee machines are button operated, and still they leave out a tip jar on the off-chance. You know you're doing more work than those optimists...

Thanks Fred and Mojorule.......Good advice...and thanks for the kind words!!!

Nice one Wiley, great to hear you continuing on your sofa adventure.

The tips and advice are always helpful, keep em coming for us amateur performers ...lol

With the tip jar ... i was thinking same thing. We got one out on NYE but that was a long show, almost 33 tracks, and people kindly donated. Were thinking if we shold have it regularly at pub gigs. On the one hand I say to myself why not, we dont charge entry, neither does the venue, so if somebody wants to throw in a couple dollars to show their appreciaation.

On the other hand it feels a bit cheesey as we get paid by the venue owner, and its not commonly done here when i see others performing.

Would be keen to get other folks perspective ?

Wiley, my man!!! Sounds like you've now have moved into the "performing musicians" group! =D> It is very satisfying, as you've now found, to play your guitar and sing and have people enjoy the performance. As a modest musician, as you come across, you feel "embarrassed" to put out a tip jar. I would find the biggest pickle jar I could find! It's nothing to feel weird about! Really! Those folks that hear you perform are eager to "compensate" you for their enjoyment that they recieved from you. And it's just a small token of their appreciation to drop a couple bucks for you. And let's face it, you practice, put a lot of time in lining up a song-list, gas in your vehicle, it adds up! You won't make a lot of money, but it's nice to get a little something to "help out". Most of my performances, whether it be with the bluegrass band or solo, I get a "little something" for it. What I started doing is everytime I play and get a few bucks for it, I take my "music money" and have been tucking it away. This is what I'll use (when I get enough) to fund my next guitar! (I thought I was over my small-body addiction till someone on the Forum just a new one! Hint!) I don't go and play for the money. I play just for the satisfaction I get out of singing and playing and having folks enjoy it. I have always been very appreciative of ANY money that I've received. It's also an incentive to perform at your very best every time you play. That's the main advice that I've always gave first on this Forum to anyone going to play publicly. Be confident. Give the people what they came to see and hear! I'm glad you're venturing out musically. It makes you a better player and you'll find that performing for people is very satisfying. You meet all kinds of people with all kinds of stories. Enjoy the spotlight!

Larry, I don't know if I really "enjoy" the spotlight, however I'm no longer scared shirtless by the prospect...lol.Thanks for the welcome advice. And I agree with you 1000%, playing out DOES make you a better player......and don't you HATE IT WHEN SOMEONE GETS A STUNNING GUITAR THAT MAKES YOU DROOL....LOL Thanks again for all the advice......by the way, what do you do for sore fretting finger tips????

Wiley, my man!!! Sounds like you've now have moved into the "performing musicians" group! =D> It is very satisfying, as you've now found, to play your guitar and sing and have people enjoy the performance. As a modest musician, as you come across, you feel "embarrassed" to put out a tip jar. I would find the biggest pickle jar I could find! It's nothing to feel weird about! Really! Those folks that hear you perform are eager to "compensate" you for their enjoyment that they recieved from you. And it's just a small token of their appreciation to drop a couple bucks for you. And let's face it, you practice, put a lot of time in lining up a song-list, gas in your vehicle, it adds up! You won't make a lot of money, but it's nice to get a little something to "help out". Most of my performances, whether it be with the bluegrass band or solo, I get a "little something" for it. What I started doing is everytime I play and get a few bucks for it, I take my "music money" and have been tucking it away. This is what I'll use (when I get enough) to fund my next guitar! (I thought I was over my small-body addiction till someone on the Forum just a new one! Hint!) I don't go and play for the money. I play just for the satisfaction I get out of singing and playing and having folks enjoy it. I have always been very appreciative of ANY money that I've received. It's also an incentive to perform at your very best every time you play. That's the main advice that I've always gave first on this Forum to anyone going to play publicly. Be confident. Give the people what they came to see and hear! I'm glad you're venturing out musically. It makes you a better player and you'll find that performing for people is very satisfying. You meet all kinds of people with all kinds of stories. Enjoy the spotlight!

by the way, what do you do for sore fretting finger tips????

That's what breaks are for! It's not bad form to take a break in your performance. Try about a 10 minute break when your fingers feel like they're wearing out. I usually play about 8-10 songs, take a 10 minute break, come back and do 8-10 more and call it a night. Save the best songs that you do for the final three or four on each set. Remenber what I said about being confident and giving the best performance that you can give? That's why you take a break so can re-energize yourself and come back out just as "fresh" as you were when you began! And when you do really well in the first set, the crowd will be "pumped" for your return to finish your performance. Kinda gives them something to anticipate. And when you finish each set with your better songs, you kinda go out with a bang, leaving the audience wanting to come back and hear you again the next time you play. Picture this in your mind: OneWileyFool with a fanclub!!!! [thumbup]

Great post my friend. Really enjoied reading this with my morning kafe[thumbup]

I love to play befor public, but I don't do that for some resons connected with the particularities of the public culture in my country these days...

I really like what you do and what you describe in those posts - so keep on, please!

The old saying goes: I'll believe it when I see it!!! HOWEVER.....I'm more of the metaphysical school which would say: I'll see it when I believe it....lol. I guess I never saw myself "performing" as it were. Nodehopper had to push me somewhat into making those youtube recordings.....But, here I am, playing in front of people....lol. Thanks Mr. Gibs and others, for the kind words and support......it really is a stretch for me to go from sofa to playing in front of others....

Yep, i got one, essential for the solo singer / player.

However since then i found a singer and he's happy just with a bit of reverb. Im acetually not allowing him to use the GXT as i want him to improve his range ' naturally' lol ... im being quite hard on him but sometimes you need to be cruel to be kind ..its working though .. ;-)

To all of you who play and SING before public I reccomend one thing:

http://www.tc-helicon.com/products/voicetone-harmony-g-xt/

I have this processor since 2-3 months. It is a really helping device for those who sing.

Believe me - better try this!

[thumbup]

You got more chutzpah than I. I played my first gig in the mid-1960s but have never done a solo gig. I prefer remaining in the background and letting somebody else handle the words.

And you forgot the mandatory $15 fine for checking your hair between tunes.

Yes. I really consider that this processor makes you sing better. It just hapens.

Try it.

The demo videos on the website sure are convincing! I'd like to try one out. It would certainly "open up" a solo acoustic performance.

Wiley.... as they say, "Break a leg!"

I think you'll find you'll progress very quickly as you play in public. You'll learn and accept screw-ups, you'll find yourself trying new licks, etc!

It'll also motivate you to learn new stuff.

And ya know.... I speed up too....but it doesn't matter where I'm playin', if I don't have a beat, I'll speed up... and I can tell it immediately, but am helpless to stop it!

Bravo!! Keep it going.

Archived