Gibson Brands Forums

Where are the Brits????

onewilyfool

I really cannot say how old the earth is. It is, however, amazing to me how some people take the notion that the earth is millions, maybe billions of years old, as FACT. When I learnt it, it was only a 'theory'. So is the idea that the earth is but a scant 10,000 years old. No one really knows but we all have our theories. Since the earth's age is of no great import to me I choose not to agonize over it.

I think perhaps any self respecting historian, scientist or general follower of progression might be inclined to absolutely trash your statement. I on the other hand still believe that the earth is flat, and that we are all descendants of the almighty Thetans [tongue]

I'm kidding of course, your opinion as important and valid as the next guys. Those scientists can be mighty convincing at times though!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm kidding of course, your opinion as important and valid as the next guys. Those scientists can be mighty convincing at times though!

It's the religion of "Scientific Fact" Everything they believe is fact, because it is scientific.... until of course newer science proves the facts wrong and they have to change their theory... and therefore the facts.

Absolutely, there is bona fide scientific fact. It's just that some scientists lose their objectivity. I mean.. everyone knows that since a person exhales at 40 mph. Therefore a person cannot travel in a carriage faster than 40 mph, lest his breath be taken away and he suffocate.... right? [blush] (A long held scientific theory paraded as fact).

I completely agree! Even more off topic but yesterday I was reading all about absolute zero, which is apparently the coldest possible temperature that can be reached, even in space. I couldn't help thinking, how on earth can they be so sure. Surely there's some planet out there that completely contradicts ALL our laws of physics and thermodynamics.

I'll stick with my git arr playing methinks...

I completely agree! Even more off topic but yesterday I was reading all about absolute zero, which is apparently the coldest possible temperature that can be reached, even in space. I couldn't help thinking, how on earth can they be so sure. Surely there's some planet out there that completely contradicts ALL our laws of physics and thermodynamics.

I'll stick with my git arr playing methinks...

But surely not on a planet which registers temperatures of absolute zero or lower, DG? Imagine the finish checking on your return to earth.

Returning to Britain, absolute zero was a British discovery, of course...

I couldn't help thinking, how on earth can they be so sure.

They can be sure on Earth [tongue]

I also think when they find planets and say, "there can be no life here because it's too hot" or whatever, surely some alien life could have adapted to cope with the heat. You wouldn't think anything could live underwater if you'd never seen a fish...

Maybe this is one of many great differences between the USA and Britain?

The vast, vast majority of British Christians (and many other religions too) are fine accepting the evidence that the earth is billions of years old and we are on a small planet, which is a part of possibly millions of solar systems! Creationism isn't taken seriously in any school I know of/

To be a Christian, in my opinion, should not mean committing intellectual suicide ie shutting your mind to scientific developments and evidence of how we evolved. Science and religion are perfectly compatible in my opinion.

Matt

I swear I saw an alien craft whilst on Brighton beach the other night. Yes I was under the influence... I have some video footage but am worried I may "disappear" if I post it anywhere :huh:

I guess that would be one of the several stateside Brighton Beaches, rather than the original and best? If you were by any chance on their UK namesake, then you were no doubt confusing the Royal Pavillion with a UFO. This is an easy mistake to make.

My link

I guess that would be one of the several stateside Brighton Beaches, rather than the original and best? If you were by any chance on their UK namesake, then you were no doubt confusing the Royal Pavillion with a UFO. This is an easy mistake to make.

No no, I live in Brighton UK (Hove to be precise). You can't see the Pavilion from my part of the beach, and it certainly wasn't a Seagull! It could have been some kind of giant Chinese lantern but I'm sticking to my original UFO theory!

Okay, here is why all Brits should be revered, imo...

Generic news report

Ah, Saturdays, The Grauniad and laughing uncontrollably at Brooker's Screen Burn. One of the things I most miss about Blighty. Can't really do it on the Internet, as I need to be lying down before I start, in case of collapse mid-way through. Can't read Screen Burn on the Internet either...

Archived