Gibson Brands Forums

This Picture

69 Son

When I was a kid (1970's) my Dad had this album and I used to just stare at the picture. Maybe subconsiously I always wanted a Gibson SG. I thought it was just such a cool look, lol. I never heard the band or the guitarist. The band is Quicksilver Messenger Service, guitar player John Cipollina.

506065428_fb31d48128_o.jpg

QMS were great. Cipollina was great. Check out their studio or live recordings of Buffy St. Marie's "Codine".

I got an SG largely because of Cipollina. Now, if only I could play like him.... Maybe I should get off this computer and practice....

Big QMS fan here--their stuff is just swell.

Their first album is great, but I think the best place to get started is Shady Grove, their third album and the first one they did with Nicky Hopkins the pianist as a full-time member. That's the album that got me hooked, and it's great for a new listener. After that you might be into tackling Happy Trails, a live album consisting mostly of an excellent twenty-five minute jam on Bo Diddley's "Who Do You Love."

The SGs John Cipollina played, by the way, were very cool. He modified them with custom-cut pcikguards and Bigsby tremolos. He also had a very unique amplifier set-up, notably with six Wurlitzer horns at the top of the stack.

ampStack01.jpg

He's pretty obscure, but I think he's getting a bit more recognition as of late.

Oh, and my dad introduced me to them, too.

When I was a kid (1970's) my Dad had this album and I used to just stare at the picture. Maybe subconsiously I always wanted a Gibson SG. I thought it was just such a cool look, lol. I never heard the band or the guitarist. The band is Quicksilver Messenger Service, guitar player John Cipollina.

They were one of my favorite bands back then. They used to play the Filmore. I think I might actually have that album up in the attic.

They were one of my favorite bands back then. They used to play the Filmore. I think I might actually have that album up in the attic.

Archived