Gibson Brands Forums

Injuries

cavsrock08

Yesterday I jammed my left middle finger in a basketball game and now I have to keep it taped to my left ring finger. That clearly means no guitar for a few days. [thumbdn]

That got me thinking, have you ever had any injuries that kept you from playing and for how long?

Yesterday I jammed my left middle finger in a basketball game and now I have to keep it taped to my left ring finger. That clearly means no guitar for a few days. [thumbdn]

That got me thinking, have you ever had any injuries that kept you from playing and for how long?

I feel sorry for you buddy. Ive got lots of injuries from playing rugby. Ive had a broken collar bone, torn ligament, slipped spinal disk, broken arm. I also got wiplash when I was about 6 but to this day it still hasnt gone and I still have to click my neck to prevent pains (I'm waiting for someone to make a pain in the neck joke now [flapper]) I also injured my rotator cuff from doin too much weights. Focussed more on my arms than my shoulders and essentially paralized the arm because the rotator cuff was not longer strong enough to lift my bigger arms. The longest I've kept away from my guitar is a few days. When I broke my arms I was still attempting to play. The stupid thing about most of my injuries being rugby related is that I still havent given up the sport.

i fractured my 3rd finger at the joint on my picking hand (right) in a fight, that was about 9 yrs ago...it will only bend a little bit as it healed without medical treatment. i have to "anchor" when picking as i can't make a full fist...but iv'e adapted very well, in fact i prefer playing that way so no loss B)

There's always slide. And I keep thinking of Django.

I had a rather damaged right (strong side) wrist in high school that still is relatively week. That got me thinking of a number of options for many activities as I learned, for example, to butter bread with my left hand alone.

I think one can find a way if one considers the problem a bit. For huge physical losses unfortunately some folks have had to take on alternative instruments and such - but I don't think a broken finger qualifies.

m

This thread is making me depressed [laugh] Im only 17 and I've already had more injuries than most people. I hate to think of how I'm gonna be when I'm older.

Well, remember with age comes wisdom....so even though some of us old guys have ailments, we've learned to deal with them better than you youngins!

I always say that youth is wasted on the young!

I'll agree with Rob...

Also note that the teens, then the 30s or early 40s, depending, are major periods of more significant injury to athletes. In the late teens because you're just learning a new body, and in the too-little trained and too-much effort incipient physical degradation of "middle age."

Then you get idiots like me who think they'll be the "I train 2-3 hours a day" of their 40s forever and proceed to shatter a limb in their 60s.

But... except for more serious damage, I think it's better to get banged up a bit than to sit on the couch and rot from within due to lack of doing anything.

m

I smashed my wrist at work a few years back and wasn't able to turn it around enough to fret for about a month. I was freakin out thinking I would never be able to play again. I also had a car fall off a jack on the same hand about 7 or 8 years ago. I pulled out just as the studs began to pin my hand to the driveway. No broken bones, but it swelled up like a boxing glove. There was another month. I think I have the beginning of arthritis in my hands now. I assume it's due to my job.

Broke 2 bones in my hand near the wrist the winter before last. Had a cast from my elbow to my finger tips for 6 weeks.

Didn't play much for a few months. Still gets sore for no apparent reason. Doesn't hinder guitar time though.

I understand the original poster. When I was young and playing a lot of sports I broke my nose a couple times, broken collarbone, fractured sternum, broke a few fingers, ankle and wrist fractures, many strains and sprains, bumps, bruises, stitches and a wrecked knee. Torn cartilage, ACL and MCL.

No more contact sports for me. I'm hoping to still be able to walk in my golden years.

All good now though.

Dave

Yesterday I jammed my left middle finger in a basketball game and now I have to keep it taped to my left ring finger. That clearly means no guitar for a few days. That got me thinking, have you ever had any injuries that kept you from playing and for how long?

Too bad. You'll be down for a while.

I once had surgery to repair my left rotator cuff. Brutal rehab. No guitar for close to three months and then it took a while to build my grip back up.

This thread is making me depressed [laugh] Im only 17 and I've already had more injuries than most people. I hate to think of how I'm gonna be when I'm older.

There's an old adage that goes somethng like "If I'd known I was gonna live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself". Food for thought [biggrin]

Well, remember with age comes wisdom....so even though some of us old guys have ailments, we've learned to deal with them better than you youngins!

See my answer above LOL. Is it wisdom, or hindsight? [biggrin] Remember, experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!

Back on topic, I'm prone to tendonitis that keeps me playing only 10-15 minutes a day when it's really aggravated. I play enough to keep some timing, callouses, etc. but not enough to aggravate it. I shattered my left elbow as a kid and don't have full rotation, so those jazz chords are a real stretch [scared][laugh]

Whack_King, are you giving us the finger?

I missed six weeks with a torn rotator cuff.

Mr. Natural, funny you say that, I did realize that but after I posted the picture [scared] .. But it was the only finger were I had a little dead skin hanging off... So much for trying to make a funny [unsure]. Well, I guess it was kind of funny but I assure you wall it was not intentional.

I have had some injuries. Once, I missed 6 weeks too and had to have surgery, plus physical therapy for 3 months.

Damian, now why would you ever do that to yourself?........ B)

I will always struggle with PTSD, bi-polar, Aspergers, severe stress, and other fun illnesses.....'falling' off bridges and buildings with intent used to be a 'problem'.......

I also drowned once.......I'm much better now........I'm retired, and I don't engage much in the 'real' world in order to avoid all stress....It's just the way it is....

Got my music, guitars, girlfriend, cats, hope, art, and a front door I avoid opening and walking out of too often...it's my reality, and it works...I'm happy now...

So, um, yeah, it used to be a problem.........Life is wonderful, and I intend to live....................music and art literally keep me alive....and S.S.D...........

I will always struggle with PTSD, bi-polar, Aspergers, severe stress, and other fun illnesses.....'falling' off bridges and buildings with intent used to be a 'problem'.......

I also drowned once.......I'm much better now........I'm retired, and I don't engage much in the 'real' world in order to avoid all stress....It's just the way it is....

Got my music, guitars, girlfriend, cats, hope, art, and a front door I avoid opening and walking out of too often...it's my reality, and it works...I'm happy now...

So, um, yeah, it used to be a problem.........Life is wonderful, and I intend to live....................music and art literally keep me alive....and S.S.D...........

Wow thats a lot man. Good to know its better. Here is a picture of the injury. Sorry I dont know how to post it directly. Note the knuckle on the middle finger.

http://twitpic.com/3qth6c

Archived