Gibson Brands Forums

where do you shop?

Doin Montary

i personally am on the Gulf Coast, half the way between New ORleans and Houston... there are no Gibson dealers in my locality. Where is the Wal Marts of Gibson guitars ??? honestly, guitars are like boots, you really want to try em ALL on and try to leave without one if you can ... but if you cant, at least have plenty to choose from. Where do you shop ?

I live out in NE Penna, and I go to Alto Music in Middletown, NY. It's a massive store, with some real quality stuff. Thankfully(?) I pass it on the way home from work. Many a day I stopped in there "just to look", and, well, you know what happens. [thumbup]

If I ever moved from this area, I would really miss that place. It's pretty unique.

Elderly Instruments

Gibson pulled their retail agreement, but they still have a great selection of used Gibby's,

along with all their other stock. I've been buying stuff from Elderly since the 70s.

And as crazy as it may sound, my local Best Buy has a great musical instrument store (walled off inside their warehouse style store) - and they have a Gibson retail agreement. Yes I've bought there - three guitars, one is my SJ-200.

I try to shop at a local music store for everything I can, but it's too small to carry a zillion dollars of Gibson stock. So if I need Gibson, the only alternative is either traveling over 50 miles to a Guitar Center store, 75 to a Sam Ash, or go Internet. I'd rather drive and try the guitar out first.

Notes

For me, guitars are bought from E.M. Shorts, in Wichita...

either off the rack, or ordered. Great store, good stock,

good people, and great prices!

Accessories, from them, or GC, or even MF, Sweetwater, etc.

I never buy a guitar, sight unseen/unplayed, anymore. Too

many variables.

CB

i personally am on the Gulf Coast, half the way between New ORleans and Houston... there are no Gibson dealers in my locality. Where is the Wal Marts of Gibson guitars ??? honestly, guitars are like boots, you really want to try em ALL on and try to leave without one if you can ... but if you cant, at least have plenty to choose from. Where do you shop ?

Hey man, you around Lafayette? Not much doin for guitars, I hear you. Hell, there ain't much in New Orleans either if you ask me. Make a day trip to Fuller's in Houston. Eat an early breakfast, hit the road first thing in the morning, play guitars at Fuller's til you're too hungry to keep thinking about guitars, take a meal break for some Tex-Mex and then get back in the store to play more guitars till closing time. There will be a couple that stand out in your memory I promise. Take pix of the tags with your phone so you remember the models you liked (it's easier than you think to get your memory twisted when you play a big ol ton of guitars). Have fun!

Hey man, you around Lafayette? Not much doin for guitars, I hear you. Hell, there ain't much in New Orleans either if you ask me. Make a day trip to Fuller's in Houston. Eat an early breakfast, hit the road first thing in the morning, play guitars at Fuller's til you're too hungry to keep thinking about guitars, take a meal break for some Tex-Mex and then get back in the store to play more guitars till closing time. There will be a couple that stand out in your memory I promise. Take pix of the tags with your phone so you remember the models you liked (it's easier than you think to get your memory twisted when you play a big ol ton of guitars). Have fun!

thanks burndaddy, thats good information. I am closer to Lake Charles, the closest dealers to me are in Beaumont, I drove there Tuesday, 170 mile round trip, two stores there, but neither G&B nor GC had a 336, a 356, 339, a Johnny A, no Florentines... no semi hollows with a Bigsby... i was hoping i could choose from several, or at least pick out a guitar i liked and have a Bigsby put on it... so far i have only seen them on the internets.

I like Guitar and Banjo, they have a good inventory and good management... he must have a 1000 guitars, he had 2 used Gibsons that caught my eye... a melody maker for 450 and a lp special for 550... i am tempted by the lp special.

I am not too fond of the GC store, I am 50 and my eyesight isnt that good and they put the guitars 15' up a wall ... i cant see what they have and .... well ... i just left... if anybody with marketing @ Guitar Center listening may want to make your store more user friendly ... put all your guitars at a level where we can see them ... and try them ... we wont buy them if they are " out of our reach ".

i hate to criticize Gibson on this blog ... but ... you need more dealers and let them decide which models they want to stock ... you would think there would be at least one 336 in every store... but instead there are 12 studio models. I want to buy a Gibson ... but i have quit buying guitars before playing them.

Archived