Gibson Brands Forums

Masterbilt Series

Triumph1050

Pardon any redundancy but I haven't been here a long time to see much discussion about these.

Was wondering what Gibson fans opinions are regarding the Epi Masterbilt line?

The dozen or so I've played were hit and miss. Some sounded really good though.

I can score one on the 'bay pretty cheaply but hesitate to buy one unplayed...by me. I wouldnt do that with a higher priced Gibson but may with an Epi.

Thoughts? Thanks.

They've come up here for discussion before, and I'd say they're well regarded. Great value - quality versus price. I've played a couple and IMO, very nice for the money.

Yes, there's always some variance in sound/tone from one guitar to the next, so you should try to get hands on time with any guitar you're thinking of purchasing. When that isn't possible, check the return policy.

In this case, you didn't mention a return policy, but it sounds like you're willing to take a chance because the price is so good. If it's got you that interested, and the price is nice, I say roll the dice. B)

I have four Epiphone Masterbilts: an AJ-500M, AJ-500R, DR-500M, and the cedar topped, 12-fret AJ-500RC. I've found them to be excellent instruments, well worth their cost. The AJ-500RC is among my favorite guitars, period, and I have a fair number of contemporary Gibsons, including two True Vintage models.

The Masterbilts have big, resonant voices. They have strong mids, like a Gibson, but in my experience, their bottom end is thicker and has a softer, cello-like attack. I've described it before as a Gibson in an echo chamber. The bass notes are very deep, yet they are less individually defined than those produced by a Gibson. The x braces are set WAY back from the soundhole on the Masterbilts, which helps explain why they sound different from a Gibby in that respect.

Mine are early models, and have the generic Asian slope-shoulder shape: the body is slighly wider in the waist and shorter than a Gibson slope. It looks to me like guitars built more recently have a narrow-waisted shape that is closer to Gibson's.

The materials on the ones I have are very good to impressive. They have good looking wood. The natural models are finished with a warm, antique toner, and my sunburst model has a small center, like an OJ (cool!), though it's a little too orange for my taste. All have bone nuts and saddles (I think those that have factory electronics may get a synthetic saddle; that's a point of some debate on the Epiphone forum). They have solid feeling Grover tuners, and nicely-grained one-piece necks (save a heel cap extension). Comfy, too. The headstocks taper in thickness from the top to where it meets the neck, just like those on Gibsons from the 30's and 40's, which is a really nice touch. The workmanship is tidy, with just occasional small imperfections in some of the multi-layer bindings, etc.

One caveat: all mine were bought around the time the line was first launched (and were then equipped with a really nice case). I've noticed that in the five or six years that the Masterbilts have been available, they have not raised prices, but they have stopped including the case, and begun using woods that are not as cosmetically attractive. The inlays don't seem to have the same depth and luster, either. I saw a gloss-finished one recently (mine are satin), and I was disappointed with how it looked. The new ones still seem to sound pretty good, from the little I've played them in stores, but tone is something best left evaluated by the individual.

Hope that helps.

Red 333

I have four Epiphone Masterbilts: an AJ-500M, AJ-500R, DR-500M, and the cedar topped, 12-fret AJ-500RC. I've found them to be excellent instruments, well worth their cost. The AJ-500RC is among my favorite guitars, period, and I have a fair number of contemporary Gibsons, including two True Vintage models.

The Masterbilts have big, resonant voices. They have strong mids, like a Gibson, but in my experience, their bottom end is thicker and has a softer, cello-like attack. I've described it before as a Gibson in an echo chamber. The bass notes are very deep, yet they are less individually defined than those produced by a Gibson. The x braces are set WAY back from the soundhole on the Masterbilts, which helps explain why they sound different from a Gibby in that respect.

Mine are early models, and have the generic Asian slope-shoulder shape: the body is slighly wider in the waist and shorter than a Gibson slope. It looks to me like guitars built more recently have a narrow-waisted shape that is closer to Gibson's.

The materials on the ones I have are very good to impressive. They have good looking wood. The natural models are finished with a warm, antique toner, and my sunburst model has a small center, like an OJ (cool!), though it's a little too orange for my taste. All have bone nuts and saddles (I think those that have factory electronics may get a synthetic saddle; that's a point of some debate on the Epiphone forum). They have solid feeling Grover tuners, and nicely-grained one-piece necks (save a heel cap extension). Comfy, too. The headstocks taper in thickness from the top to where it meets the neck, just like those on Gibsons from the 30's and 40's, which is a really nice touch. The workmanship is tidy, with just occasional small imperfections in some of the multi-layer bindings, etc.

One caveat: all mine were bought around the time the line was first launched (and were then equipped with a really nice case). I've noticed that in the five or six years that the Masterbilts have been available, they have not raised prices, but they have stopped including the case, and begun using woods that are not as cosmetically attractive. The inlays don't seem to have the same depth and luster, either. I saw a gloss-finished one recently (mine are satin), and I was disappointed with how it looked. The new ones still seem to sound pretty good, from the little I've played them in stores, but tone is something best left evaluated by the individual.

Hope that helps.

Red 333

Thanks Red that was helpful. I was wondering too what people here thought of them, they have been getting rave reviews in the European music press.

Matt

I can score one on the 'bay pretty cheaply but hesitate to buy one unplayed...by me. I wouldnt do that with a higher priced Gibson but may with an Epi.

Thoughts? Thanks.

hi,

don't know if it matters to you, but check to see if it is a second, or stamped 2 on the back of the headstock, and if so, I wonder why.........

I have one that is not a second, and I really enjoy it

it is much louder than anything I've had, including a D35 and a Songwriter Deluxe

I had a WM45 for 3 years, and found I didn't want to play it after I got the AJ500MNS........

so it is gone, along with a great sounding full scale '96 Hummingbird that was just stellar, I just like the Epi better for mahogany

the setup is unbelievable on the epi, the action is perfect, saddle is tall, and plays like butter........

good luck!

Jim

As usual Red 333 has pretty much nailed it with his insightful detailed response.

There is more discussion on Masterbilts on the Epiphone Acoustic area for you to check out.

Personally I am a new owner of an AJ500M VS ,and I'm very impressed.

Ironically, I wasn't looking for a new acoustic when I bought it ,but thought it

would make a great "Beach Guitar". It sure is getting a lot of use and,I won't be visiting

the beach any time soon.(Canadian winters msp_cursing.gif).

I've yet to play another Masterbilt so I can't speak to quality consistencies,but mine is top notch.

I'm of the group who definitely needs to play a guitar before I would buy it.

I've played a few.....Pretty good fit and finish......sounded pretty good....I reached inside the sound hole with my finger and found that the underside of the top sound board was not sanded. Now this may not seem like much, but, it just turned me off....unsanded tops MUST affect the sound in my opinion, and because it is hidden from view, I just didn't like it. These guitars are a good value for the dollar, similar in quality to Blueridge, Recording King, Cort, Washburn, and the like, many whic are made at the same asian factories in Korea and China. By the way, the asian guitars ARE catching up.

Masterbuilt line are some of the most underated guitars on the market. I have played most of there line up and thought all were great sounding and well built. I was recently considering getting there OM model (EF500 if I remember correctly) but bought a Silver Creek, still I would not hesitate to buy one. After buying the Silver Creek T-170 for a rediculasly low price Willie I agree the Chinese are catching up fast and cheap! Also, great post Red!

Archived