Gibson Brands Forums

An honest question about forum posts..??

Andy R

I don't get why, but people think that post count means that you don't play guitar and if you have more than them, you obviously don't even know how to play the instrument, let alone own one.

I don't watch TV, I stay up late and my family will complain about the guitar noise if I play, so I go on here in my free time. My post counts are high because I try to be humourous as well as offer up what little knowledge I know.

Life is serious, forums are not. If people want to rag on others and say "your post count is too high", they can go fuk themselves with a guitar

I've been on many and are currently on many internet forums for years.

I couldn't give a rats pucker-hole about a person's post cont. Half of them I'll wager were emoticon posts and "+1's".

Post count just tells me you have a lot of time to reply a lot, not that you're smart or post valuable information.

Personally, I think msg forums should do away with post count altogether.

I've been on many and are currently on many internet forums for years.

I couldn't give a rats pucker-hole about a person's post cont. Half of them I'll wager were emoticon posts and "+1's".

Post count just tells me you have a lot of time to reply a lot, not that you're smart or post valuable information.

Personally, I think msg forums should do away with post count altogether.

+1

msp_lol.gifmsp_lol.gifmsp_lol.gif

Had to do it.

I have been on here for a hot minute or two.

I come here for things like Amp tech and to see projects like Andy R's.

pedal reviews, Ect.

There are people I like and people that completely Pi** me off with there keyboard diarrhea.

and I understand a little friendly flaming.

I Have to agree though, get rid of post count, it's what you say NOT how many times you say it.

I post a lot of garbage and general humour (well, some people think so hehehe)....

Same here.

I know my humor rubs some people the wrong way.

Especially when they are CONVINCED that they know EXACTLY what I was thinking when I posted whatever...

(Funny thing - they can READ the post, and ask questions if something needs clarification. PM even....)

I'm more than happy to clear up misunderstandings.

I'm also more than happy to return fire as necessary... [woot]

Even then, it's all in fun until it gets personal.

I would expect no less from anyone else.

I read to learn and post to entertain (usually)...

my post count says nothing about my guitar knowledge...

in fact, some people might think that I know alot based on my post count but I am learning every day!

Anybody who knows me here understands that I do indeed have some modesty and humility.

(Well-concealed maybe...) B)

My playing ability?

Yeah, right....

Told plenty of people I'm a two-string power-chord hack.

I have some nice guitars, but NOTHING compared to some of the folks here...

If I don't know something, I don't post.

If a thread holds no interest for me, I don't post.

If I post something that contains errors - I fess up.

I'm here to learn - so I get even smarter.... [flapper]

I ask questions.

I take the ribbing.

And I don't give a ratsass about my post count.

First forum crash, I lost .... I dunno .... 5,000... 10,000 posts?

Started over at zero.

Forum crashed again - same thing.

Then again....

I don't even wanna think how many posts I've made in total.

Or how many posts were evaporated with threads that were deleted by the Mod Squad.... [thumbup]

Does my post count matter?

Then I'm in esteemed company.

Or am I? =;[-(

You decide.

I don't really care. [lol]

Good question - wish I had a better answer but it's kind of become a sad truth around here. Like Neo and others I've been on here for years now and lived through at least two bad crashes that made us all lose all of our posts (which aggravated some) but the only two times time post count ever came up in the early years it was positive and fun. the two times post counts came up was;

1. When somebody first hit the 1000 mark it was the norm to post something original or different as a kind congrats and thank you for participating.

2. Whenever anyone got to the 5k or 10k mark the others would tease them that they were gonna crash the forum (hey it happened allot).

Other than those two times nobody cared or even spoke about it, then a year or two ago that changed with a lot of new and younger members joining it somehow became important to get a high post count there were even posts and games created for no real purpose other than to crank up your post count. After that it continued to spiral downward with more trolls and less real value or respect and then after the last upgrade the silly reputation points came along and so some people jumped on that bandwagon thinking it meant something. The same kind of games and arguments happen over at the MLP where you can thank people kind of like the reputation thing here - so it might have come from that forum as people moved back and forth.

Bottom line I don't know a single soul that ever got anything of value from either a high post count or a self inflated reputation number but it still happens and all it's really done is drive some of the original posters away from the forum. It's aggravating but I just ignore it since this forum seems to have less of it than the MLP and some others so I stick around here where there are some cool people and it's fairly easy to ignore the trolls.

My 2 cents.

First of all there are members here that are so knowledgeable about not just Gibsons and Epis but guitars and music in general and for that I'm very grateful. I wish I had this resource when I was a kid just learning back in the 70's.

There are also some that post an inane amount of times in a thread that adds nothing to the post but length and clearly is an attempt to gain post count. In fact it has made me stop reading some posts because I got tired of looking for substance amongst all the fluff.

Kinda like craving a steak and the waitress keeps bringing you sweets.

I do know that I have made flippant post and post that were poor attempts at humor (I apologize for this) but I've never cared about my count or anyone else's.

It's just a guitar forum. Use what you need and disregard the rest.msp_thumbup.gif

Archived