Gibson Brands Forums

Before buying a SG

Monty Burns

Hi,

my name is Bruno and I write from Italy

I'm going to buy a new Gibson SG Standard (ebony) but unfortunately I can't play the guitar before.

I think that Gibson is always a *sure shot* but I ask you: if I give you the serial number (before buy :P), you'll can tell me if (by the date of manufacture) there is some hidden problem or reason for withdrawing from the purchase?

Thanks

Bruno

Hey Bruno, Welcome to the forums!

If you can't play the guitar before you buy it, the first thing you should do is ask the seller.

Ask things like: is it still under warranty? What condition is it in? Any major flaws?

If you could get us some pics and the serial number that would be a great help.

Beastie [biggrin]

The serial number isn't going to tell you if the guitar has any problems. I don't know where you got that from.

Perhaps you misunderstood.

Through the serial number I can *know* when the guitar was produced.

Well, I would like to avoid a guitar produced during the period of flooding.

Do not think I'm crazy (only) for this :)

If you're getting a ligitimate Gibson SG then no you don't really have anything to worry about. I walked into my music store with my money and literally said "one Gibson SG, please".

Now the one they gave me wasn't new, but I got that fixed and they got me one just off the line in Nashville.

Look forward to loving your guitar.

Ciao,

The S/N number isn' t necessary. Ask him HD pictures : body/neck joint, fretboard, front and back of the headstock ...

It's the first thing I asked the seller

(a famous German store).

They told me that *it's not possible before...*.

Conclusion: I would buy the guitar...in blind mode.

I'm very tempted to leave sg std ...

(but choose the SG 61 Ri white classic - Week 26 [tongue] )

It's the first thing I asked the seller

(a famous German store).

They told me that *it's not possible before...*.

Conclusion: I would buy the guitar...in blind mode.

I'm very tempted to leave sg std ...

(but choose the SG 61 Ri white classic - Week 26 [tongue] )

1) why on earth would you buy a guitar on thomann instead of going to a store an playing it before buying?

2)come to the italian forum and you'll get also advices on the stores!

1) why on earth would you buy a guitar on thomann instead of going to a store an playing it before buying?

2)come to the italian forum and you'll get also advices on the stores!

:-)

I choose *where* I want to buy: primarily thinking of the best after sales and service varies. I'm crazy?

2nd: The Italian board? Sooner or Later

• 2 weeks later...

I'm reading a lot of messages regarding an alleged structural weaknesses of the Gibson SG standard.

Finish too opaque for ebony, crack in the finish for HC, broken pallets, handles with a slight twist ect.

Just bad luck I think for some problems (finish), but structural flaws ... I'll order my next SG std from another country (personal reason, but I don't want bore you).

A shipment by plane (maybe), train/truck and van.

Should I be worried for shipment?

I would not open the case and find nasty surprises...

Or these **defects** are within normal tolerances of industrial production (so unluck) :unsure:

Thanks

On the internet for every angry, upset, displeased, person who b!tches and moans on the internet there's usually 5 more people who are happy with their product. Those are typically the people who are at home actually playing the guitars and not online complaining about them, don't worry you'll love your new guitar.

Where are you reading about all these problems? Nearly everyone I know on here with an SG Standard is quite pleased with them. From my experience and talking with other owners, the SG Standard is one of the safest bets in the Gibson line.

Well the sg standard from Gibson USA is a great guitar but you can't expect it to be flawless bought unseen. You can get a two piece body or a 3or 4 piece body. I ordered mine through the local store and it came with some issues, could have returned it but i didn't. The issue's was- The nut wasn't cut properly(fixed), a bad cut on the high e string slot on the brigde(fixed). Nothin' wrong but it's a 4 piece body. A little bit sloppy work on the bevels on one of the horn. I never seen a fretboard so greedy on oil. It needs some fretboard oil every know and then, its really dry. Good as the 490-498 pickups are, i replaced them with some vintage style Bare Knuckle pickups. Had my down and up with this guitar but now she plays and sound great and she's my number 1 guitar these days. Anyway good luck with your sg, hope you find a good one

Where are you reading about all these problems?

Hey friend, your real name is Thomas?

**If I don't see I don't believe** :P

Just search (google is our friend) and you'll find what I'm saying.

I agree, with those who say that a disgruntled (and noisy) there are many others who are quiet happy. But, I don't know as they say in English, in Italian: *Luck is blind, but unfortunately we saw very clearly* [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup]

SG Standards suck! Don't buy one. Go get a Squier bullet Strat if you want a truly professional grade guitar:) Seriously, If you want one, check em' out, if you don't get something else. I wouldn't buy any guitar without playing it first, but that's just me.

SG Standards suck! Don't buy one. Go get a Squier bullet Strat if you want a truly professional grade guitar:) Seriously, If you want one, check em' out, if you don't get something else. I wouldn't buy any guitar without playing it first, but that's just me.

:P

Unfortunately I can't find a seller with any SG.

Now, in my country there are few (2 or 3) who have many Gibson available to try.

So...I can go to a big seller (5-600km) and try a SG, but maybe I stop working or go when the store is closed...:)

I confess, I've already bought without traying.

But it was a Suhr Classic Custom and in that case I had no fear (honestly... I was afraid of theft during shipping :P)

But suhr classic custom is like CS Gibson, a perfect shot

(IMO, of course)

All I can tell you then is to order from someone with a good return policy, so you can send it back if you don't like it.

...and in fact I chose a big and famous German store :-)

(as I said at the Italian friend who did not understand why I had to order in *Krauts*: there is always a reason for everything B) just wanting to understand [thumbup] )

"Pickup and delivery for any problem at no cost. 30-day money-back guarantee and 3-year warranty." (from **my** German store)

...and in fact I chose a big and famous German store :-)

(as I said at the Italian friend who did not understand why I had to order in *Krauts*: there is always a reason for everything B) just wanting to understand [thumbup] )

"Pickup and delivery for any problem at no cost. 30-day money-back guarantee and 3-year warranty." (from **my** German store)

It sounds like you should be in good shape then.

If you want to be positive the guitar is okay, perhaps you should just have a local luthier inspect it once you receive it.

Beyond that, congratulations on the purchase of what should be a great guitar!

Archived